Notices

Turbo EK wont pass smog

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo EK wont pass smog

I haven't taken the car to get inspected yet, but I know it will not pass emissions. It is probably running rich because I have bigger injectors, and the timing is advanced, but the question I ask is if I change the spark plugs, and run spark plugs that run hotter, will that make a difference? And if I also put my stock injectors back on. The car does have a catalytic converter on. I need the car to pass inspection with a green sheet in order to get it registered in Texas. It is from New Mexico, and there they do not require the car to pass smog. If anybody has any tricks on how to get a boosted motor to pass it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo EK wont pass smog

Originally Posted by PandaEK9
I haven't taken the car to get inspected yet, but I know it will not pass emissions. It is probably running rich because I have bigger injectors, and the timing is advanced, but the question I ask is if I change the spark plugs, and run spark plugs that run hotter, will that make a difference? And if I also put my stock injectors back on. The car does have a catalytic converter on. I need the car to pass inspection with a green sheet in order to get it registered in Texas. It is from New Mexico, and there they do not require the car to pass smog. If anybody has any tricks on how to get a boosted motor to pass it would be greatly appreciated.
Just put a cat on, you should be fine.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It has a cat on it, but like I said I haven't tried to get it inspected. If it passes I will be completely blown away, but if it doesn't I will found out what needs to be changed/replaced.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:28 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Depending upon the laws of your state, you won't know until you actually test and fail first. Only then will you know the next step.

So, unfortunately, you'll have to take that plunge and find out first, then see where your corrections will be.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If its converted to OBD1 your going to fail anyway... the car is originally OBD2 so they wont be able to plug into it.... on most 0bd2 car they dont sniff test them, they just plug into them..

thats the way it is in my area anyway
Old 02-22-2011, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by B20luda
If its converted to OBD1 your going to fail anyway... the car is originally OBD2 so they wont be able to plug into it.... on most 0bd2 car they dont sniff test them, they just plug into them..

thats the way it is in my area anyway
and every state is different, so again, he won't know until he tries. He is simply speculating at this point which isn't going to get anyone anywhere. You need to go and try, come here with results, then ask for possible solutions. Other then that, return it to 100% stock and be done.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:19 PM
Trial User

is your cel (check engine light) on?
Old 02-23-2011, 11:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 203irej8
is your cel (check engine light) on?
No. I have hooked it up to a diagnostics scanner and it wasn't throwing any codes. It runs extremely rich though. If I put in spark plugs with a higher heat rating would that help it to not run so rich?
Old 02-24-2011, 05:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just ask auto zone to borrow their obd2 scanner.
My scanner has an emissions readiness monitor thing that does the exact same thing the emissions people do.
Scan and see if youll pass.
I don't see why running rich would mess up any of your monitors though.
If you have a cat and an obd2 ecu you will be fine IMO.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by PandaEK9
No. I have hooked it up to a diagnostics scanner and it wasn't throwing any codes. It runs extremely rich though. If I put in spark plugs with a higher heat rating would that help it to not run so rich?
No.

Go back to stock injectors and create a boost leak so you can't hit boost. Not that it really matters, if you can read your ECU in an OBD2 EK and you're also running larger injectors it's only a matter of time before it pops anyway.