Notices

(Turbo Dreams) GS-R motor but what size for my goals

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 10:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default (Turbo Dreams) GS-R motor but what size for my goals

Whats up H-T.. i am getting ready to buy some of my turbo parts but the one problem.. i cant decide on what size to get (turbo). Im just getting started in Forced Induction, but i was wondering for my goals i want to shoot for 300whp on stock internals at about 10 or 11psi (with the right parts and tuner its possible to get near there). but i dunno if i wanna go GT series, t-series hybrid.. or what? i was looking at the GT30R and 35R, but i know they are $$. Many of my people i talk to say to just get a T3/T4E b/c they are way cheaper and i could thro money at other stuff faster plus they are know to yeild consistent results on B-series motors.. Im not concerned about $$ i just want a turbo that is number one on the chain, even if it costs like $500 more i don't care (it will just take longer to get).

I will only be on stock rods and valve trian cams for a lil bit.. eventually i want about 15psi on the motor, i plan on doing a LSD swap in the Y80 and some beefier Gator Axles an SI intake cam.. Also i want a nice sized turbo for stock insides but then when i upgrade the motor i want the turbo to be able to produce more boost effectively. I just dont want to go too BIG b/c im not looking to only drive the car on the drag strip. I want something powerful on the street. Should i stick to a BB GT-series turbo or just go cheap and buy a hybrid b/c my goals arent too extreme??

please post your experience and your suggestions.. .
Old 06-15-2004, 04:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Turbo Dreams) GS-R motor but what size for my goals (manikgsr)

arturbo and boosted hybrid are both good people to talk to....try pm'ing them and see what they say...
Old 06-15-2004, 05:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Turbo Dreams) GS-R motor but what size for my goals (ekay_jeremy)

Dru I still say go with a Full Race kit, but if you want faster spool and still big top end go for a GT series turbo. If you arent looking for 500+whp look into the GT3071. It will spool up faster and make nice top end.
Old 06-15-2004, 06:45 AM

Default Re: (Turbo Dreams) GS-R motor but what size for my goals (DC2R714)

Yeah if you got the money that get a ball barring turbo for the faster spool. but if you don't than I suggest getting the SC61 turbo. This thing can do you wonders at 10psi. 300 whp will be easy with a decent setup and this turbo.
Old 06-15-2004, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DC2R714 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Dru I still say go with a Full Race kit, but if you want faster spool and still big top end go for a GT series turbo. If you arent looking for 500+whp look into the GT3071. It will spool up faster and make nice top end.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Nate.. i have the full garret catolog, and i will look this turbo up and do some research on it. I really wanted the full race kit, but i rather build my own kit, and i am looking at the log manifolds like InlinePRO and Drag and MaxRev.. They are way cheaper and more AC and PS friendly. The fullrace manifold design seem to make high temps and that means heating probs, and im scared of that. im not worried about the charge pipe or down pipe b/c i know someone that welds extremely amazing and can make me my own what ever mat. i want. BOV well there are a few im considering Tial and Blitz, wastegate i want a 44m Tail V-band (is this too big?). I will also be pruchaceing new head studs and a Cometic head gasket. I want to run all SS lines (oil feed/return and compressor). I will be running 550's and Hondata s200b with all options for fuel.

Does my set-up look ok fo rnow its just a ruff copy, but i also looked at the SC61 and it looks like a nice turbo, but i made my mind up that i want a BB for faster spool. So some more suggestions on what size BB to go with would be great.. .

Thanks guys
Old 06-15-2004, 11:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thats cool Dru. Personally I dont think you would have an issue with the A/C friendly Full Race manifold. It will give you even better spool time. The inlinePro manifold is really good for a log style. I wouldnt even do the cometic headgasket and ARP studs unless you are going to run more than 12psi. Your stock block is more than capable of handling that power. Everything else looks decent. I have the Blitz BOV. If you come to the West CHester meet the 27th Ill take you for a ride in my car and you can hear the BOV.
Old 06-15-2004, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DC2R714 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thats cool Dru. Personally I dont think you would have an issue with the A/C friendly Full Race manifold. It will give you even better spool time. The inlinePro manifold is really good for a log style. I wouldnt even do the cometic headgasket and ARP studs unless you are going to run more than 12psi. Your stock block is more than capable of handling that power. Everything else looks decent. I have the Blitz BOV. If you come to the West CHester meet the 27th Ill take you for a ride in my car and you can hear the BOV.</TD></TR></TABLE>

haha yea Nate ill be there.. thanks man, i would love to rid ein your car i can't freakin wait now lol.. yea and i guess me and you can talk more shop at the meet!! Thanks man
Old 06-15-2004, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No problem man. Always willing to help out a fellow teg owner