Notices

turbo dreams are going to come true

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 05:47 PM
95DxSi-R2

Default turbo dreams are going to come true

So i'm going to be getting a turbo setup, i was thinking of going with a name brand kit instead of piecing one together.i guess this is going to turn into more than 1 question. By the way i have a jdm b16 2nd gen with s80 tranny in a eg coupe

1. Will a edelbrock setup be plenty enough? i know it has electronic contoll for boost, fuel, and timing, but is it really reliable. I'm a technician and i hate piggy back sh*t.
2. will a pieced together setup be better, and running chrome or another tunner program?
3. What have your experinces been with a turbo setup of 5-7psi on your stock engine. perferably b16.

Thank you all and i will resume searching
Old 06-06-2006, 05:51 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

full race
Old 06-06-2006, 05:56 PM
95DxSi-R2

Default Re: (spoolinyo)

i just want a turbo that would be good for my stock b16. full race is for later
Old 06-06-2006, 06:31 PM
JL
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (95DxSi-R2)

no http://www.full-race.com not "full race"
Old 06-06-2006, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JL)

In no way, shape, or form, am I saying there isn't more than one way to skin a cat, in this case boost your car.

But, a buddy of mine wanted to "save" money in the beginning, and went with a revhard kit. He now finds himself, spending more $$$ to get a 3" downpipe, and a better-flowing manifold.

Do it right the first time, and like I was told and learned the hard way, you'll always want more.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:55 PM
95DxSi-R2

Default Re: (a1320addict)

thanx for the responses, has anyone tried edelbrock?
Old 06-06-2006, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I second that, do it right the first time and just get a full-race kit. I bought a DRAG kit and now im spending money on 3" downpipe and better manifold and better intercooler. Wish I went full-race from the start
Old 06-06-2006, 07:15 PM
95DxSi-R2

Default Re: (SlowB16si)

this is for starters. I plan on building an ls/vtec, drag turbo kit later on. That will probably be in the next 3-5 years though, waiting for my wife to catch up to me alittle first($).
Old 06-06-2006, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95DxSi-R2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">this is for starters. I plan on building an ls/vtec, drag turbo kit later on. That will probably be in the next 3-5 years though, waiting for my wife to catch up to me alittle first($). </TD></TR></TABLE>

Dude you're in Blythe?? I work there. Hit me up on pm and we'll chill and talk about this ish. I won't be able to answer all your questions, but I'm sure I can answer some of them.
Old 06-06-2006, 08:15 PM
95DxSi-R2

Default Re: turbo dreams are going to come true (95DxSi-R2)

Old 06-06-2006, 09:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95DxSi-R2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">this is for starters. I plan on building an ls/vtec, drag turbo kit later on. That will probably be in the next 3-5 years though, waiting for my wife to catch up to me alittle first($). </TD></TR></TABLE>

That's where the mistake is. I did the same thing, as a ton of people on H-T probably did; "it's just for now". You're actually going to end up saving money in the long run.

I mean, you haven't really expressed what your goals are. You mentioned in what I quoted that you plan on building an LS/VTEC, so obviously you're going to want more power, the edelbrock kit will hinder that in the future. I understand your mentality, as I once had it, but I kick myself in the *** everytime I look at my spare block, because if I didn't waste my money on the first kit I had and went with Full-Race from the beginning, the block would be built and in the car.

And if the cost is what's worrying you now, based on you said you were interested in numbers on a B16, I'm assuming you have a Civic SI.
Summit is selling the Edelbrock kit for $3,930.39. An extra $60, nets you a Stage 1 AC Kit.

Hope that helps

BTW, KeyserSoze, this is Joel (used to be yehiknowrite); how ya been?
Old 06-06-2006, 09:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

everyone is just gonna tell you to do a custom kit. so you can go with your first intentions, listen to HT on going custom, or going out with full race. up to you

custom is fun because you actually learn a lot
Old 06-06-2006, 10:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (undercoverdc2)

I think the peakboost kit is the way to go... right around $3000 shipped(full race stage 1 is $4000) and makes roughly the same power per pound of boost.You won't need to upgrade any components until your well into the 450whp range...then just get management (crome pro, hondata) and find a tuner and your set.

http://www.phoenixturbo.com
Old 06-07-2006, 12:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (StylishDOHC)

To clarify, but the PeakBoost kit is non/ac compatible, and is $3,299.00.
The non a/c Full-Race kit is $3,499.00.

I really like both kits, and I've heard great things about the PeakBoost kits. Either gets a big from me.
Old 06-07-2006, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo dreams are going to come true (a1320addict)

I talked to the guy and he wants a kit for his stocky b16 for now and something that he can use on a fully built lsv in the future. On his b16 he only wants ~250whp, but he wants much more outta the lsv (he said he wanted well into the 700s). The difficulty is in choosing a turbo that he will be able to use on the b16 and still on the built lsv (I know that this will be quite improbable), so we need to find him a turbo that works well on his 16 at low pr's, but also will flow enough not to get him to the 700/800 hp mark (cause this seems highly unlikely), but maybe into the mid 500s. He's gonna call me back later so we can work out some more stuff, I'm just tryin to help him out with some suggestions. For the price of the edelbrock kit there is no reason he should go that route instead of a f-r/peakboost kit. But in the end just like everyone has stated, you learn so much more by piecing together a kit for yourself. That knowledge can never be taken away from you, it becomes invaluable.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by a1320addict &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">BTW, KeyserSoze, this is Joel (used to be yehiknowrite); how ya been?</TD></TR></TABLE>

What's up man? I've been good, how you been? I thought that avatar looked familiar.
Old 06-07-2006, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo dreams are going to come true (KeyserSoze)

custom kit, full-race or peakboost , u won't regret it
Old 06-07-2006, 08:40 PM
95DxSi-R2

Default Re: turbo dreams are going to come true (KeyserSoze)

thanks for the ideas keyser, and thanks to everybody posting your thoughts. i'm deffinetly going to go with a custom kit. i've been pricing stuff and edelbrock wants way to much. Keyser, i didn't call cause i was way to tired, i'm about to crash right now. the big question is what turbo to get and do i need to go chrome, hondata, etc.) I'm not looking to push to much, for longivety of my internals. I didn't feel like it today, but garrett has some really good info that i had put in my favorites. graph stuff and trim sizes, etc. Even though i know a sh*t load about cars, i've still got alot to learn about turbo's. i don't know how much a stock b16 can handle under turbo. This is my first topic about wanting to go turbo, so i don't give a sh*t if sound like an idiot. I don't plan on using the turbo later for the ls/vtec. i'll deffinetly need a bigger one later and that would hurt me now. Heres the things i think i need.

bigger injectors, higher volume fuel pump, intercooler, intercooler piping, turbo, turbo oil cooler line kit, blow off valve, waste gate, turbo exhaust manifold, boost gauge, exhaust temp. gauge, possibly an integra radiator, down pipe with custom exhaust. am i going to need engine managment? Thanks all.
Old 06-08-2006, 04:11 PM
95DxSi-R2