Notices

Turbo done! What next mod for most hp gain?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2004, 11:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo done! What next mod for most hp gain?

Done with my turbo setup and I'm already getting used to it. What next mod would you guys do to make power? Here's my setup

Stock engine from 95 ls
B16 Si tranny
16g turbo 12psi
Small IC
450cc inj
SAFC II
twin turbo RX7 fuel pump

I'm not familar with the honda engines so I don't know where to start. I've heard the ls motors have crapy heads and intake. I was thinking of doing some mild head work and long runner intake manifold.

BTW, do cam gears do anything for a turbo honda?
Old 09-15-2004, 11:45 PM

Default Re: Turbo done! What next mod for most hp gain? (RedTT)

get a vtec head and 3 inch exhaust
Old 09-15-2004, 11:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much money are you looking at spending? I would throw a gsr head on it or upgrade to a better turbo/intercooler/exhaust and run a better EMS.

On a stock head and stock camshafts, cam gear settings aren't really going to gain THAT much power. You have to have them dialed in on the dyno by the way, you can't just guess on settings. Personally, I only tend to use adj cam gears on fully built turbo motors or of course NA set-ups where you will see significant gains.
Old 09-16-2004, 12:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo done! What next mod for most hp gain? (PrecisionH23a)

My price range is pretty low. I only want to spend a few hundred bucks. This is just my beater car and I really should be more involved with my RX7, but this honda is faster than I thouht it would be, I'm just having fun with it right now. A vtec head would be nice but it's more than I want to spend. I was thinking of something that I could make or would be cheap to buy. That's why I suggested an intake mani, I could make that no prob. I've done port work so I know what I'm doing, just don't know if it will give significant gains.

BTW, what's so good about the vtec heads? Flow, cam profile?
Old 09-16-2004, 12:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo done! What next mod for most hp gain? (PrecisionH23a)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PrecisionH23a &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How much money are you looking at spending? I would throw a gsr head on it or upgrade to a better turbo/intercooler/exhaust and run a better EMS.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Oh, I picked the turbo, IC for a reason I wanted quick spool. Besides with a stock block, I'm more limited to how much boost I can run than anything else. I don't think a bigger turbo will do me any good until I can support it
Old 09-16-2004, 02:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RedTT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
BTW, what's so good about the vtec heads? Flow, cam profile?</TD></TR></TABLE>

both, any amount of power you can make on a nonvtec head, u can make more with a vtec head AND have better streetabilaty (idle, mpg, etc), best of both worlds.
Old 09-16-2004, 03:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo done! What next mod for most hp gain? (Sp00n'd Supra)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sp00n’d Supra &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

both, any amount of power you can make on a nonvtec head, u can make more with a vtec head AND have better streetabilaty (idle, mpg, etc), best of both worlds.</TD></TR></TABLE>

this question is really lame, so please don't flame me too bad, but is it possible to swap a vtec head without making an ls/vtec setup? I've just heard of too many problems tuning it as good as a stock vtec motor
Old 09-16-2004, 03:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo done! What next mod for most hp gain? (turboteg2nv)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turboteg2nv &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

this question is really lame, so please don't flame me too bad, but is it possible to swap a vtec head without making an ls/vtec setup? I've just heard of too many problems tuning it as good as a stock vtec motor </TD></TR></TABLE>

when u swap the head, u effectively make it a lsvtec, tuning it is no different than a "stock vtec" motor
Old 09-16-2004, 03:29 AM

Default Re: Turbo done! What next mod for most hp gain? (Sp00n'd Supra)

First thing to do is sell the vafc and get uberdata..
Old 09-16-2004, 06:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo done! What next mod for most hp gain? (Overblown-Teg)

if you're gonna keep the ls motor and dont' want to have to deal with vtec such as myself...porting your intake/exhaust ports to match your manifolds is a must. also, get a skunk2 IM for all around power gain. this is exactly what i've done to my ls and look where it's gotten me. i'm making the same amount of power vtec motors are with the same amount of boost or less. not to mention this is only with a skunk2 intake manifold...the polished and port matched head i'm getting back today from the shop i sent to to get clean up. i'll be posting up pictures of the head compared to stock head...and dyno sheets next week after i install it and hit up the dyno for more tunning next thursday.
Old 09-16-2004, 07:06 AM
i my honda
Global Mod

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I say get an engine management system and get it dyno tuned!
I guaranty you will make more power that way than by adding any mod.
Except a vtec head or NOS Not to mention 12 psi sure isn’t going to last that long.
An good exhaust is a must and a new IM would be helpfull
Old 09-16-2004, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RedTT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Oh, I picked the turbo, IC for a reason I wanted quick spool. Besides with a stock block, I'm more limited to how much boost I can run than anything else. I don't think a bigger turbo will do me any good until I can support it</TD></TR></TABLE>

correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it power produced not boost amout that determines what an engine can take? If so, then getting other items could still blow your stock motor, if combined, it produces more power than the motor can take.

I would get better engine management, and turn up the boost to achive a powerlevel that would be safe, and not waste money on other items, especially since u said that this is just ur beater

Old 09-16-2004, 08:11 AM

Here is what you want to do..

Dont worry about the VTEC head. You've got an FD to worry about - keep the Honda simple.

Use the search function here and look up Uberdata. It is free stand alone fuel management that works well. Replace your AFC with that. Have it tuned somwhere locally - most tuners can put a decent tune on Uberdata type systems. And as Sherman said above - get the Skunk 2 intake mani and port match the head for it.

Cost will be minimal. The IM can be found cheap used and the Uberdata will be free since you can sell the AFC.
Old 09-16-2004, 08:36 AM

Default Re: (Drag_On)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Drag_On &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Here is what you want to do..

Dont worry about the VTEC head. You've got an FD to worry about - keep the Honda simple.

Use the search function here and look up Uberdata. It is free stand alone fuel management that works well. Replace your AFC with that. Have it tuned somwhere locally - most tuners can put a decent tune on Uberdata type systems. And as Sherman said above - get the Skunk 2 intake mani and port match the head for it.

Cost will be minimal. The IM can be found cheap used and the Uberdata will be free since you can sell the AFC.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The guy is right, this is the way to go for a beater. go uberdata, which is a program that lets you do so much more than a safcc. all you need is to have your ecu chipped. which you can also DIY. Selling the safc will more than cover for teh costs of the chip, rom burner, etc. You will then be able to tune fuel curves, adjust for injectors, rev limit, etc.

Since you say you can fabricate stuff. get a bigger exhaust, and just go crazy with the porting and such of head and manifold. It can only help if you know what you're doing. oh and get a bov to make sure the thing doesn't break.

Vtec head would be nice, but that would really start to add complexity to your beater project.

you already have a pretty nice beater setup: torquey ls engine, short geared b16 tranny, and a fast spooling turbo . I think it would be really nice if you could build the head a bit to get more revs out of it. High revs+short gearing+turbo=bliss.

since you already own a turbo car, most principles apply: bigger exhaust, more fuel, porting everything that flows more air (throttle body rebuild, intake mani, head).

Good luck and KISS (keep it simple stupid) for this car. This is the car that you build to drive hard and not worry about.