Notices

turbo doesn't spin so freely after rebuild??

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo doesn't spin so freely after rebuild??

hey guys, i just finished my rebuild on my td05-18g with new journal bearing, thrust rings and seals. But after the rebuild, the wheel doesn't spin as freely as be4. I figured it's the new journal bearing that's causing it. But when i took it out for a spin, it doesn't wanna boost past 0 psi. I am pretty confident that i put the wheel and nut back it where it was so i don't think balance is a issue. what could had gone wrong? any input is appreciated.

btw, i am just wondering if anybody know that will a td05 spin at idle on a b16? thanks
Old 05-05-2009, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo doesn't spin so freely after rebuild??

ur gonna have to take a video, so we can even see whats going on. I am assuming this has an internal wastegate? check to see if its stuck open. You might have not put the turbo back together properly either. There are a decent amount of factors involved here.
Old 05-05-2009, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yes it should be spinning at idle speed... i have had a greddy kit for 4 plus years... i to had to rebuild mine due to smoking issues... but i never had any issues with it not spinning freely after... what all parts did u replace inside the turbo??? bushings ok, ??? the thurst washer?? seals??? also were the parts used mistu. parts???? when i rebuilt mine i took the turbo to a desiel shop that rebuilds turbos and the parts guy found out that its a mitsu./garrett type turbo.... ( a mut turbo lol )...
Old 05-05-2009, 11:49 PM

thanks for the reply guys. i know that my wastegate isn't stuck open, and i pretty much replace everything but the big insert that is holding the thrust ring and oil deflector in place because it's little bigger than the oem one and i couldn't get it in.

It is the ebay rebuild kit i bought, not the oem mitu

I will check if i have boost leak somewhere, if not i will probably pull the turbo out again and change everything back see if it fix it. thanks guys