Notices

turbo d16a running like pooh

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo d16a running like pooh

i've got a 91 crx si that i put a turbo kit on almost a year ago. My setup is pretty dated, I'm using a vortech FMU and five check valves. I'm only posting 7 psi. its a drag cast manifold with a turbonetics T3 turbo. I know I need to step up and get some kind of engine management, i'm going with hondata, but I dont have the cash. Anyway after i start driving it, it starts to spit and putter, cruising or whatever. I've got an MSD external coil and MSD wires with NGK plugs one step colder then stock. stock fuel pump also. it spits until the it throws an O2 sensor code, then it stops. I guess its in a safe mode or something. I think it does it because of ignition timing, i've got it retarted about 3 degrees. any ideas?
Old 06-05-2007, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ur asking y ur car runs like **** its because it seem u have a really shitty setup. But anyway ur car is running like **** because YOU HAVE NO REAL FUEL MANAGEMENT!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-05-2007, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo d16a running like pooh (BIG RICH)

take the kit off and search the forum about the correct way to turbo a honda.

If not your probably be making a thread about how your engine spit its guts all over the road.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow u guys are some ******** give him some help
Old 06-05-2007, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dont run the car again witout gettin it the ecu chipped wit a basemap or wait til u can get it tuned...... ur gonna kill the motor and everything u worked for....
Old 06-06-2007, 06:36 AM

Are you running a missing link. If not then thats one problem. And you need to have an air fuel ratio. Your car may be running too rich.
Are u running ngk-7? Iif not u need to. Its a colder plug.

But about what rpm does it start spitting?

Old 06-06-2007, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo d16a running like pooh (hold your breath)

Name any part of your setup, and/or your engine, and you have found a problem. Everything is wrong. Nothing is right.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:44 PM

Why dont you jsut get a basemap setup for now?
Old 06-06-2007, 01:37 PM

Default Re: turbo d16a running like pooh (BEST1TUNING.COM)

get a basemap, or a tune with the quickness so you can get rid of the fmu...trust me, it really sux when you're car has so much potential, but you walking home b/c of cut corners.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:10 PM

Default Re: (mrbigg9032)

lol i knew people were gonna start poppin off with comments like these after he posted up his setup. this should be aka hilarious-tech
Old 06-06-2007, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bnut510)

everyone of these ***** is right about getting a proper basemap but like what the hell no one is going to help this guy out?

everyone seems to forget where they have come from few few years ago FMU's where the only way to turbocharge a honda and keep the stock ecu so just cause this guy is taking his time to come up to date to where everyone else here supposedly is, doesnt mean u guys should walk all over his setup.

anyways.

make sure u have a clean map sensor vacuum signal is the only thing i cant think of at the top of my head.

but goodluck.

Old 06-06-2007, 08:44 PM

Default Re: (nickromeo)

Ill help him with a basemap no problem as long as everything mechanical is good he should be fine. Just the management he has no is probably causing more problems than it is helping.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BEST1TUNING.COM)

OK to those who offered help, thank you. I know the setup isnt great but damn i've been running it like that for almost a year, and like i said in my first post I KNOW I NEED TO GET SOME SORT OF ENGINE MANAGEMENT. To the others, everyone is right your ********. if you have no helpful input then dont input anything. like I said earlier i'm going with hondata, but i was wondering if there was anything I could do to my current setup to help it run better. I am running ngk 7's. the motor has 250k on it, and its been doing good so far, it just seems the hot weather lately is making it run bad. I've been on this site for about 7 years off and on, this is where i go when I cant figure something out. i dont ask stupid questions and i dont give people ****. this is also where I tell my friends to go when they need help, and they have been telling me that all they get is ****. if i wanted to hear people rag on me i would have asked my question on a mustang forum. thanks again to those that helped, and to the others just because you put an apc muffler on your DX doesnt mean you know anything.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:34 PM

Default Re: (BIG RICH)

Yea, SOME of the guys on this site are a bunch of condescending ******. It shouldn't be called "hilarious-tech", it should be called "*******-tech". Theres absolutely no reason for some of the responses that people get here to their questions. If you don't know the answer to a question, keep your ****** mouth SHUT, don't play that "I'm smarter than you are" bullshit.

And to all you guys who HATE how many times you hear a question, or how many times a discussion has come up, or that theres 1500 threads about the same topic, just tell the OP to look it up in a (dare I say) NICE way. No need to be a dick- HELP the man. He didn't come here to have somebody look down their nose at him.

And you guys are going to all have to get over that "nOOb" thing-it says that above my name because I'm new to this SITE, not because I'm new to hondas, or acuras, or any car in general. I've been turning wrenches my WHOLE LIFE, and I'll be DAMNED if I'll let anybody tell me I don't know what I'm doing because it says nOOb on my Avatar.

You guys need to stop passing judgement so quickly.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dsnyder305)

thanks man. I'm not acting like my setup is great and i know i need to get something to tune it. thats not what I asked about. I've been running it this way for a year, and I know its not good, but its not going to blowup tommorrow. i want hondata, but getting the ecu and hondata setup, then tuning it is gonna cost a small grip of cash. i also have to convert my car to OBD1, so theres alittle bit more. I just wanted to know if there is anything i can do to it now to help it run alittle better. it spits and sputters kind of low in the rpm range, off of idle to 3000 or so. it runs great above that. it just misses between there. i think its the timing advancing or something. it does it until it throws the O2 code. I have an air/fuel gauge, but its just one of those led ones that bounces back and forth, but it never moves from rich. thanks again.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BIG RICH)

You're throwing an O2 code?

If you're O2 has taken a **** it will do what you're talking about.