Notices

turbo crx, smoke issue??

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo crx, smoke issue??

there have been some threads but all are different answers, I have a fully built LS/Vtec turbo crx, here is my issue at start up it will smoke whitish out of the exhaust and once it warms up i can cover the hole block, if I drive it and come to a stop same thing? now this is what I checked 1st I did a compression test 1)185 2)195 3)205 4)205 but the number 4 spark plug was soaked? then I checked in the intake pipe, no oil in there, the I took off manifold with turbo just to see if it will smoke , it was a lot less and it was black but didn't run that long cause I was waking the neighbors up super loud! So is it the turbo (ebay), I heard the seals were a myth but now i don't know, or a leak somewhere? the motor only has 3000 miles on it and it was on a break in tune so I couldn't hurt the motor, no oil is leaking on the ground, do i need a restricter on my feed line? can anyone please help??
Old 02-17-2014, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: turbo crx, smoke issue??

White smoke indicates a coolant leak. Pull the head, check to see if it's warped at all. Inspect all the cooling jackets around the cylinders, if it's all checking out okay replace the head gasket and then see what happens. I don't think you did very much reading.
Old 02-17-2014, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Slacker93eg
White smoke indicates a coolant leak. Pull the head, check to see if it's warped at all. Inspect all the cooling jackets around the cylinders, if it's all checking out okay replace the head gasket and then see what happens. I don't think you did very much reading.
so thats the next point i am at is pulling the head? wouldn't the compression test tell me if I had a bad head gasket? and also there was no white smoke when i took off the exhaust manifold w/ turbo so I assumed i eliminated the coolant theory cause it would still continue to be white smoke? so nothing with the turbo then ?
Old 02-17-2014, 05:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

When you took off the exhaust manifold you were probably burning off tons of oil and nasty **** collected around the exhaust side. If you don't want to pull your head I would say at least start by pulling the oil pan and looking around, check the oil condition in the pan.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Is the turbo oil only? Or is it water cooled too?
Old 02-17-2014, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Slacker93eg
When you took off the exhaust manifold you were probably burning off tons of oil and nasty **** collected around the exhaust side. If you don't want to pull your head I would say at least start by pulling the oil pan and looking around, check the oil condition in the pan.
yeah i will do that tomorrow then, and the turbo is oil only! I was going to swap the turbo since there a ton of people say the turbo seals and all that , just not seeing it but i had someone that willing to bring me over one tomorrow so i guess i will see
Old 02-17-2014, 10:27 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

coolant burns pure white and is thick smoke, it also smells sweet.
oil is a whitish blue and is much thinner, almost transparent