Notices

Turbo covered in oil? PCV problems..

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 02:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo covered in oil? PCV problems..

Ok, heres my situation Any info/help would be greatly appreciated.
Motor is a d16a1, TD05 16g turbo, inline oil restrictor.
Stock PVC system, Breather filter.
My turbo is litteraly covered in oil, inside and out. The car smokes. The turbo has no in out play, but I really dont think its the seals because of this. When I take off my oil drain pipe from the oilpan, i get oil shooting out of the oilpan fitting.. Is there supposed to be positive crankcase pressure even under idle? If I rev the engine and it stays in vacuum at about 4-5000rpm I get a huge blue smoke cloud. Will al leakdown test be helpful? I can totally understand why the turbo is covered in oil, it must not be draining any at all down to the poilpan if theres positive pressure under idle. The car will also smoke badly when I decelrate then stomp on it.

The car seems to smoke less when it first fired up, its liek it takes time for the pressure to build within the turbo/oil drain.
Also another thing I will mention is I removed the pvc valve and i cannot feel any positive crankcase pressure through the hose that goes from the back of the block. perhaps this is clogged? I dont have a leakdown tester but i fillled the cylinders with 80 psi of pressure and the car jerked forward, so i imagine it must be good.
Old 11-22-2007, 01:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo covered in oil? PCV problems.. (CRXdan)

Old 11-23-2007, 04:34 PM

Default Re: Turbo covered in oil? PCV problems.. (civintegra)

You have a piston with a large hole in it ... do a compression test first and find the cylinder with 0 compression and you just found the problem.
Old 11-23-2007, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo covered in oil? PCV problems.. (FastCougar)

I stopped reading when I saw this phrase:

"Stock PCV System"

You might wanna look into why your block is pressurizing... but it aint happening at idle, I can assure you of that.

I say blown seals in the turbo.

up and down can wear out the seals enough, trust me. I went through 2 with ok shaftplay for all to leak. And one leaked because I had to use a messed up turbine wheel in it, the other had a broken fin, it didn't leak at first, but eventually did because I couldn't get all the buildup off of the turbine.

if up and down is more than 1mm, it could be on it's way anytime.