Notices

Turbo civic running very rough

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 05:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo civic running very rough

Whats up HT i have a 92 turbo civic si d16 forged internals low compression. It was tuned a few weeks ago made 271 whp on 18lbs. I drove the car to work ran fine does run a lil on the rich side. When i came back out 12 hrs later i started it up the valves sounded like they were ticking excessivly loud, a lot of smoke was coming out of the valve cover breather and the egr and the car sounded like a wrx. I thought it may of jumped timing but that looked good got it towed home. I pulled the plugs all were black except 1 which was soaked in gas. The motor has around 8 thousand miles on it after rebuild and i baby the car, have got on it a handfull of times. The plugs r new and my next step was a compression test. Does anybody have any ideas of what i should check or do? I really hope its not a big deal after all ive put into this car but i know my luck.
Old 11-10-2012, 01:24 PM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Turbo civic running very rough

Moved to FI
Old 11-10-2012, 01:52 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Tuned by whom?
Old 11-10-2012, 02:22 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Spark plug fouled with gas means no compression. Or you spark plug wire has a break in it, or the cap is broken.

Do a compression test and a leak down.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

did you say egr?
Old 11-11-2012, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Lets see if i got this correctly -did the car not turn on 12 hours after you got it tuned?
cause that definitely sounds like it wasnt tuned correctly. Try- to-repost this under the tuning section just to see if anyone can elaborate.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sorry for the late response but the car was tuned by k-mod performance in G-boro. i drove the car to work ran fine. 12 hrs later when i got off work i got in the car and cranked it, smoke was pouring out of the egr, the egr is not blocked off. the car does run on the rich side. i really hope i didnt drop all this money to get forged internals and rebuild to only push 271hp and F it up a week later. i dont dog the car but seeing as i put the money to the motor to prevent this i did get on it a handful of times. i really hope it is not a big issue i have put a lot into this car. i am off work tomorrow so i will check the compression. Thank you for your responses.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the car did run 12 hours later but it sounded like a wrx or as if it jumped timing or running on 3 cylinders. The car ran as usual on the way to work i always let it cool down for a sec before i shut it off.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i guess im just trying to understand what may of went wrong. i had and ebay turbo kit on an old crx that was running off a base map and it never had the isses like this, hell it ran decent for 6 months before i pulled the motor and sold it. but then i try and do it the right way get forged internals brand new turbo setup brand name parts, get it tuned 1st and the thing does this to me a week later? dont mean to rant but im a little frustraited just dont see what went wrong.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do a compression test...sounds like you have a piston/cylinder/ring problem.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok so i finally got a chance to do the compression test and im not a happy camper. If ur looking down at the valve cover from left to right heres what i got. 130, 130, 120, 30. the car does run, when i pull the plug wire from the cylinder that read 30 it doesnt change how the car runs what so ever. if i pull any other plug wire the car trys to stall. i also took a video of the car running but dont know how to post it ive worked all night havnt been to sleep yet and my car is a giant piece of crap with a motor that was built just to F up a week later after i dumped all the money i worked so hard to make. stressed.. anyways the video just showed how the car blew consistant smoke out of the valve cover breather and the EGR. is there any hope? is that cylinder done? could it be a bad injector just filling that cylinder with gas? what are my options? thank you guys for helping me.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by gsxr-t-bag600
ok so i finally got a chance to do the compression test and im not a happy camper. If ur looking down at the valve cover from left to right heres what i got. 130, 130, 120, 30. the car does run, when i pull the plug wire from the cylinder that read 30 it doesnt change how the car runs what so ever. if i pull any other plug wire the car trys to stall. i also took a video of the car running but dont know how to post it ive worked all night havnt been to sleep yet and my car is a giant piece of crap with a motor that was built just to F up a week later after i dumped all the money i worked so hard to make. stressed.. anyways the video just showed how the car blew consistant smoke out of the valve cover breather and the EGR. is there any hope? is that cylinder done? could it be a bad injector just filling that cylinder with gas? what are my options? thank you guys for helping me.
now it is time to do a leakdown test to see where your loss of compression is. If it leaks out the intake it is an intake valve problem, if it leaks out the exhaust you have a exhaust valve problem, if it leaks out the oil cap you have a lowerend problem, rings, piston, sleeve etc.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You can also pour about a half a cap full of oil down the cylinder that reads 30 psi. After doing this, do another compression test on that one cylinder again. If the compression jumps up to normal you have a ring problem, if it doesn't it could possibly be a head gasket or valves. Just try it and let us know what happens and I'm sorry that your going through this. I know what it's like to spend good money on quality parts, just to have something like this happen. Try to keep your head up, identify the problem and hopefully it will be something that's not going to break the bank.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you guys for your help. I have never done a leakdown test before but i looked it up. I dont have a compressor but i will try and bring the car to a friends and try it out. I was goin to pull the motor next week so i will check it out.