Notices

Turbo Choice for 300WH ( Pics Inside )

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Choice for 300WH ( Pics Inside )

Hi ,
I am running a built D16Z6 ( forged block / Stock head ) and looking for a turbo for quick spooling / street fun .
I have narrowed down to these two turbo`s which a friend of mine is selling . I am only looking for 300 or so whp out of my car .

The 1st one is from an EVO 8 MR
The 2nd one is the T04E ( no other info , except that the friend was using it on his B16 , and this spooled on a rich tune on his b16 at 3200RPMs .

Can someone please advice me out of these two which should i be choosing for my goals and what estimated spool times should i be expecting out of these two ?
Attached Images   
Old 04-23-2013, 11:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo Choice for 300WH ( Pics Inside )

Anyone ?
Old 04-24-2013, 12:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

is that a ebay t04e turbo?
Old 04-24-2013, 01:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by yungkhmer
No. I am sure its not the ebay one
Old 04-24-2013, 03:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Pretty sure that second one is a turbocharger brand turbocharger aka eBay crap. Stick with the evo turbo it will meet your power goals and be more reliable
Old 04-24-2013, 04:30 PM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by yungkhmer
The tag on the compressor housing would lead me to believe it IS an eBay turbo.

Personally, I would use the Evo 8 16g...the problem with this turbo is that it requires a proprietary divided flange and isn't a common option, but it does exist
Old 04-24-2013, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spooling so low just wastes gas
Old 04-24-2013, 05:24 PM
Man U FTW

Gas usage is a function of power creation...if you're worried about losing gas mileage, buy a Prius/Insight. Personally, i think the biggest problem with many Honda turbo setups is that most use grossly oversized turbos...in this case the Evo 16g is about the perfect size for his goals. Dont be afraid of having a useful powerband
Old 04-24-2013, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Schister66
Gas usage is a function of power creation...if you're worried about losing gas mileage, buy a Prius/Insight. Personally, i think the biggest problem with many Honda turbo setups is that most use grossly oversized turbos...in this case the Evo 16g is about the perfect size for his goals. Dont be afraid of having a useful powerband
This guys got it. My power goals are around 300. Wish I would have gone with a t28 instead of the t3/t4.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks guys for the responses . Actually the problem is that the turbo i am using its quite laggy for my taste .

I dunno much about it exacept that its a turbonetics unit with a garret housing . It spools at around 5-5.5k with vtec . Which is way too laggy for me . Here are some pics of the turbo i am currently using
Attached Images    
Old 04-24-2013, 08:27 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Use the Evo 8 MR, get rid of the top mount manifold. create a custom one for the Evolution twin scroll, (That is not in any way a top mount.) assemble, tune, and enjoy.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Use the Evo 8 MR, get rid of the top mount manifold. create a custom one for the Evolution twin scroll, (That is not in any way a top mount.) assemble, tune, and enjoy.
Thanks for the suggestion, i alway like your responses on this site . Changing manifold is a costly one for me , since i recently had this manifold made

Can`t i use my existing mani ? , also is the turbo which i am currently using really to big ??. The car is street tuned and runs fine , its just that in 3rd gear there is lag which i don`t like , as in at the start of the 3rd gear , the boost drops to like 13-14 then goes over to the target boost i.e 19 ( on which the car is tuned one ) . Also at launch control , with antilag i was making only 1 psi of boost , i went back to the tuner , and he activated VTEC on launch , as a result of that , not its making 5-6 psi of boost at launch.I have neptune rtp

I just got into this debate to change the turbine to a smaller one coz i lost pretty badly to a K20/K24 all motor civic ,that car had all the world invested into it. I was hoping to atleast stand a chance against it at, he got me by 3-4 car lengths . Do i really need to change my turbo :O, or a d16 runs like this ? , i am a confused as hell bloke .

sorry for the bombardment of questions
Old 04-25-2013, 07:25 AM

thats an e bay t4 turbocharger. stick with the OEM EVO 8 turbo and it should get you a pretty good amount of power
Old 04-25-2013, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by lowresolution
Thanks for the suggestion, i alway like your responses on this site . Changing manifold is a costly one for me , since i recently had this manifold made

Can`t i use my existing mani ? , also is the turbo which i am currently using really to big ??. The car is street tuned and runs fine , its just that in 3rd gear there is lag which i don`t like , as in at the start of the 3rd gear , the boost drops to like 13-14 then goes over to the target boost i.e 19 ( on which the car is tuned one ) . Also at launch control , with antilag i was making only 1 psi of boost , i went back to the tuner , and he activated VTEC on launch , as a result of that , not its making 5-6 psi of boost at launch.I have neptune rtp

I just got into this debate to change the turbine to a smaller one coz i lost pretty badly to a K20/K24 all motor civic ,that car had all the world invested into it. I was hoping to atleast stand a chance against it at, he got me by 3-4 car lengths . Do i really need to change my turbo :O, or a d16 runs like this ? , i am a confused as hell bloke .

sorry for the bombardment of questions
Yes, D16s run like that. changing housings won't help that much. You took a turbo that was made for higher end power, on an engine platform with a very inefficient head design, and then piled on top of all of that, had a top mount exhaust manifold made that essentially eliminates all of the characteristics you were looking for in an effort to "show off" the turbo. (If you really knew what that type of manifold is used for, you'd have never done it for that engine platform, which is why I say this. )

So, yeah.. even a T28 wouldn't have held against a Evolution MR turbocharger with that size of hot side. you'd have been even worse off than now. Time to learn from this error, and rebuild if you plan to keep using this D-series engine.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, D16s run like that. changing housings won't help that much. You took a turbo that was made for higher end power, on an engine platform with a very inefficient head design, and then piled on top of all of that, had a top mount exhaust manifold made that essentially eliminates all of the characteristics you were looking for in an effort to "show off" the turbo. (If you really knew what that type of manifold is used for, you'd have never done it for that engine platform, which is why I say this. )

So, yeah.. even a T28 wouldn't have held against a Evolution MR turbocharger with that size of hot side. you'd have been even worse off than now. Time to learn from this error, and rebuild if you plan to keep using this D-series engine.
No sir , i had no plans to show off actually i was in favor of a ramhorn manifold , but my tuner who is a very good friend kept insisting to go with a top mount manifold setup. Also the turbo was there when i bought the car , that is why i am willing to change it up .

Thanks for the advice , i will look into getting the manifold change and perhaps go with a smaller turbo.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:23 AM
Man U FTW

get rid of the top mount manifold.
^^If you want better spool, this is step 1.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by lowresolution
No sir , i had no plans to show off actually i was in favor of a ramhorn manifold , but my tuner who is a very good friend kept insisting to go with a top mount manifold setup. Also the turbo was there when i bought the car , that is why i am willing to change it up .

Thanks for the advice , i will look into getting the manifold change and perhaps go with a smaller turbo.
Ah yes, the "my tuner recommended it" case. That advice can really be 50/50 depending upon their experiences.