Notices

Turbo Charging 88-91 Prelude

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Turbo Charging 88-91 Prelude

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Original Thread: <U>http://www.preludepower.com/forums/showthread.php?t=236790</U></TD></TR></TABLE>

I wrote this thread to help out all those who want to go Boosted or Tune their 3rd Gen Ludes. I noticed alot of new people are starting to ask about Boosting right off the start, so I took it upon myself to help out all the NooBies and try to cut down on the massive overposting of others saying "Search!!!!". I hope this points you in the right direction. I make no warranty's nor guarantee's, this is a collection of information I collected from the site and other experienced Boosted 3rd Gen'ers who all have done their homework and to whom I Publicly give Thanks and Credit too for all your input and wealth of knowledge.

I will continue to update and edit this thread as necessary as new information comes to surface in the Tuning and Boosting Dept for 3rd Gener's.

In order to Tune 3rd Gens for Boosted applications and or just tune for better performance we need to upgrade to OBD1. This thread is put together from alot of the material and experience from those who have done it before us and will continue to after this post.
To date there is no one chipping our stock ECU's for performance, and it will be easier to do the conversion versus trying to Chip it and Tune it.

Our cars have these ECU's from the factory:

90-91 2.1 Si preludes with the B21 came OBD1 and a Pk3 ECU.
*Note: You 90-91 Prelude guys do not need the OBD1 Conversion Harness as your car is wired to plug straight into any OBD1 ECU.

88-89 2.0Si preludes came OBD0 with a PK2 ECU.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">:
Originally posted by Bobnova - Having read the entire thing (took a while ) i would add one (1) thing, all b20a5 motors are obd0, regardless of year, while all b21 motors are obd1.</TD></TR></TABLE>

1. We must convert from OBD0 to OBD1 which makes our cars use any 92 -95 Honda ECU's.
a. We need an OBD1 ECU - PR4, P28, or PO6
b. A 4 wire O2 Sensor
c. Conversion Harness

2. Have the ECU chipped so it can be programmed for Tuning. For those of you who do not know what an ECU is clik here: http://www.pgmfi.org/twiki/bin/view/Library/ECU.

3. Here is another option for ECU's, thank you to Bobnova for his contribution to this item. It is a Do It Your Self ECU with Tuning options out the AssMe SomeQuestions! You can buy the Kit for $140.00 and build it yourself or you may buy it pre-assembled for a little more from the site I have put down on this thread. Make sure to read up on it though, because it is a lot more difficult to set up, but once you understand it, it will be the best thing you probably ever changed on the Lude as per the customers who have already bought it. Here is the Link:

http://www.diyautotune.com/

*Please not that Bobnova recommends you purchase the kit with the V3.0 Board, for Megasquirt N Spark - Extra, or Megasquirt2

Well I will let you read what he had to say about the unit:
*Quote from Bobnova:

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I had problems with mine, mainly because i didn't buy the new (v3) board that can read the TDC sensor directly, i did get it to work though.

It ran about the same, really, the stock ecu is well tuned for stock.

The timing map you have to make yourself, i dug up an integra map and put the values off it into megasquirt for a basemap, for fuel it will generate one for you based on engine displacement/rpm/hp/torque, and it's generally quite accurate for
Old 01-10-2007, 03:27 PM
wrenchin'

wow, thats a TON of great info for you
Old 01-10-2007, 04:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (I Have an STD)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by I Have an STD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wow, thats a TON of great info for you</TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree. This should def be put in the FAQ.
Old 01-15-2007, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (93turbo16)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93turbo16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I agree. This should def be put in the FAQ.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thank you, I am trying to help out alot of newbies because it is hard to know alot of this stuff once you get started, plus pictures are worth a thousand words.

Sean
Old 01-15-2007, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (1funryd)

damn thats a lot of good info
Old 01-15-2007, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (93CX)

This should be a sticky in the Prelude forum at least, and definitely FAQ there and in this forum
Old 01-15-2007, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (dr_latino999)

haha that picture is soo old of my setup...how come Tony and Rick got recent pics and i dont... ... i swear i posted pics somewhere...meh whateve