Notices

turbo with A/c pictures?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo with A/c pictures?

hey fellas new here.. got some questions and just wanted to see if someone can help me out.. i have used the search bar and have come across some threads that pertains to my questions but the post are old and the pictures will not load.. so now that we have that out of the way, can or will some of you guys that have a ram horn turbo set up post up some pics? preferably a (EK B series) I'm trying to get an idea as to how the condenser and a/c lines are going to play out. (i already have a slim fan and make it a pusher not a puller fan)... already have the turbo kit (Go-Autowerks) and still piecing some stuff together before install.. thanks in advance for the help...
Old 06-12-2014, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo with A/c pictures?

Here you go... https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/post-pics-c-compatible-ramhorn-manifolds-b-series-1668008/
Old 06-12-2014, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^thanks for the link.. I've seen that one already not all the pictures work. wasn't sure if there were anymore pics out there..
Old 06-12-2014, 03:47 PM
Swaggylicious

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's mine. Ac lines aren't really a big problem. It's that stupid oem condenser fan that takes a lot of room.
Make sure you get a quality fan, the turbo WILL heatsoak the **** out of that condenser and your ac is going to suck. Been there ,done that, hence why I put the stock fan back on
Attached Images   
Old 06-12-2014, 08:07 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The heat from turbo components in proximity with the ac stuff slowly kills the compressor.

your ac will start getting hotter and hotter until the pump dies. anyone who tried to keep ac ultimately removes it because parts keep failing.

roll down the windows and drive faster. I live in Georgia and most of my cars don't have ac, the ones that do I never use it.
Old 06-13-2014, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wantboost
The heat from turbo components in proximity with the ac stuff slowly kills the compressor.

your ac will start getting hotter and hotter until the pump dies. anyone who tried to keep ac ultimately removes it because parts keep failing.

roll down the windows and drive faster. I live in Georgia and most of my cars don't have ac, the ones that do I never use it.
Then you dont know true heat.
YOu cant out run heat and you cant do crap in traffic.

Also heat wrap and a turbo blanket goes a long way.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:55 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

It gets over 100 here at times, with 2000% humidity.

just deal lol.

dry heat is much easier to take than wet heat. when I'm in Vegas for SEMA it doesn't bug me that it's 110* outside because it's so dry your sweat evaporates before you know you're sweating... not the same in humidity.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:10 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

"Oh boo hoo you don't know real heat!"

That's possible, but it's also possible that you just need to grow some *********. Summer is regularly in the 90's here, and it's a humid heat, none of that pussyfooting dry heat ****. I don't remember the last time I turned on my AC. Lived in Daytona Beach for a year, too. You want to know how hot it gets inside actual race cars? Not only do they not have AC, those drivers are also wearing full fire gear.

If you want to go fast in a Honda, accept the fact that your AC will never work the way it used to, and rip it out.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't have any pics at the moment but i'll get some up. My a/c works fine under turbo/boost conditions. On the hwy in 85+ degree weather she is blowing out temps in the 40-50 degree range. I have a true street car so a/c for me is a must! My daughter sometimes rides in my vehicle so its a plus sometimes. Im running a cx racing turbo blanket and my downpipe is wraped in DEI titanum exhaust wrap. As far as the a/c compressor taking a crap and cooking over time, bleh i don't see mine failing for a good while. If it does ill toss another unit in and keep on trucking
Old 06-13-2014, 07:07 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

You're lucky lol.

I've had 3 local friends who despite all of the coating and wrapping in the world kept killing ac compressors.

ac gives me a headache in the first place so I never try to keep it on anything lol.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:10 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Originally Posted by NotARacist

That's possible, but it's also possible that you just need to grow some *********. Summer is regularly in the 90's here, and it's a humid heat, none of that pussyfooting dry heat ****. I don't remember the last time I turned on my AC. Lived in Daytona Beach for a year, too. You want to know how hot it gets inside actual race cars? Not only do they not have AC, those drivers are also wearing full fire gear.

If you want to go fast in a Honda, accept the fact that your AC will never work the way it used to, and rip it out.
Pretty much, I've worn full fire gear inside a race car... hot doesn't even begin to describe it.

and while travelling at speed with the windows down the air moving across your skin will cause any moisture to evaporate. why do you think when you stand in front of a fan or any moving body of air you feel cooler?

that's because the air causes moisture to evaporate which pulls heat away from your skin/body causing you to feel cooler.

physics 101 boys and girls.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

For the first year I owned my eh9, I had no a/c. And I don't consider myself nutless by any means but I am one sweaty ******* dude. Summer of 2010 driving 20 minutes to work (mostly highway, doing 75mph+) in the middle of the afternoon and I would have a soaked patch where my seat belt lays. I refuse to go without a/c now and I am adamant about keeping it in my 75.5 vitara build.

I wonder if ceramic coating + heat wrapping exhaust/dumptube + gold/aluminum reflector tape on the soft lines would be sufficient to keep the heat exchange down from turbo to condenser.

My rationale for keeping a/c? The eh9 came with all the nice typical factory options (pw, pdl, sunroof, ps, cc, abs, ac, etc) so why give it up? Plus mine's a 95 model meaning it's already r134a compliant.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:34 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

The main issue is the radiant heat absorbed by the compressor. it really requires some sort of heatshield between turbo/downpipe and the compressor.

wrapping the soft lines and hard lines will help, the other issue is a lot of setups don't have room for the stock condenser fan so you either need an aftermarket high cfm slim fan in the pull or push position.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Everyone has their own idea on what "fast" is, but I've known of some 12 second cars that keep their AC.

I think that is kind of an extreme opinion of yours.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Wdpfreak145
I refuse to go without a/c now and I am adamant about keeping it in my 75.5 vitara build.
I am in the same friggin boat man. I am starting my vitara build for my commuter car and there aint a chance in hell that I am removing my AC. If my commute were constant driving, I could probably live without it. But it's not. It sometimes takes me 30 min. to move 100 yards. That pace(or lack of) in 90+ degree heat ='s me PISSED OFF.

I can't stand the heat, but it also has to get into the low 40's/high 30's for me to grab a jacket too. I would MUCH rather be cold than hot.
Old 06-14-2014, 01:21 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Yea I would much rather be cold, hell I play in snow in shorts and a t-shirt lol. I keep my house 65 like all the time, just can't stand car ac for some reason.
Old 06-14-2014, 04:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Stock condersor fan and all getting the job done! I believe my a/c is lasting due to me driving like a granny. I went on a 318 mile trip Thursday I didn't get on it one time. hahaha
Name:  20140614_075132_zps3boqv9ta.jpg
Views: 1958
Size:  91.7 KB
Name:  2014-05-02%2010.58.57_zpsahxs7y8d.jpg
Views: 2234
Size:  81.6 KB
Old 06-14-2014, 06:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for the pics and info guys and keep them coming. I'm almost finish with my parts list and will be purchasing a sleeved block soon.. but down here in south Mississippi the heat gets ridiculous!!!!! i hear some say heat wrap the lines and (ceramic coat) the manifold? i have also seen some guys "tuck" their ac condenser and re route their lines. maybe that will help?..
Old 06-14-2014, 07:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
I know OP was looking for pics of a Ramhorn manifold with A/C, but what I have done might work with the Ramhorn. I was having problems with heat running a t3/04b turbo with a slim fan and open dump tube.
I ended up moving the dump tube away from the fan and welding it into the down pipe, allowing me to re-mount the factory condenser fan, I also installed a PTP Turbo blanket and wrapped the dump tube with titanium wrap.
This has worked very well for me to this point.

Last edited by wego5typer#431; 06-14-2014 at 07:25 AM. Reason: added picture
Old 06-14-2014, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If everything is wrap right the heat shouldn't kill the compressor.
I did do heat test with a ir gun before. And without wrap you can get 50 - 600 degs from the turbo and manifold. With wrap it drips it down to the 300-400 range. And that's crapy wrap.
Old 06-14-2014, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by effin
Stock condersor fan and all getting the job done! I believe my a/c is lasting due to me driving like a granny. I went on a 318 mile trip Thursday I didn't get on it one time. hahaha
[IMG]http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu230/jrock162000/Mobile%20Uploads/20140614_075132_zps3boqv9ta.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu230/jrock162000/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-05-02%2010.58.57_zpsahxs7y8d.jpg[IMG]
Very cool man! How much power are you making?

Sounds like my driving
Old 06-14-2014, 10:39 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

My s13 doesn't have ac, heat, or a blower motor... or wipers.

really entertaining when cold or raining... had to do the towel wipe defog lol
Old 06-14-2014, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thats heavy duty right there ^

I am having a hard time talking myself into taking my heater core out of my summer car! lol
Old 06-14-2014, 12:10 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

because race car lol

it actually wasn't that bad, even when it was snowing and ****. exhaust heated up the floorpan enough after about 30 minutes to where it wasn't freezing..

rainx and faster than 30mph nothing stuck to the windshield
Old 06-14-2014, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here are some I found online. Not my pictures, will remove at owner's request.

Name:  100_4150.jpg
Views: 3073
Size:  133.0 KB

Name:  P1000064Large.jpg
Views: 3580
Size:  70.7 KB

Name:  DSC03067.jpg
Views: 3378
Size:  125.6 KB

700+ hp from this thing O_o

Quick Reply: turbo with A/c pictures?