Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Forced Induction (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/)
-   -   Turbo build an LS help.. (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/turbo-build-ls-help-3327138/)

Ziggy514 09-10-2018 05:11 PM

Turbo build an LS help..

Im new to FI, I want to turbo my 1999 B18B1 motor for some weekend fun, maybe a few track runs here and there.Basically a street build.
Everything Is a little overwhelming and I really don't know where to start.
I was thinking of getting a whole "new" motor.. maybe even a b20 because cheap af!
My Ls has 144k on it and its all stock. Should I just do a refresh (Timing,gaskets,etc?) or?
Also what size turbo is ideal and what all is really needed to have a decently reliable turbo car?
My goal is 250-275 hp. Very mild as I've never really had a "fast" car before.
any advice or help is appreciated.

turboLScrx 09-10-2018 05:45 PM

Re: Turbo build an LS help..

Originally Posted by Ziggy514 (Post 51726687)
Im new to FI, I want to turbo my 1999 B18B1 motor for some weekend fun, maybe a few track runs here and there.Basically a street build.
Everything Is a little overwhelming and I really don't know where to start.
I was thinking of getting a whole "new" motor.. maybe even a b20 because cheap af!
My Ls has 144k on it and its all stock. Should I just do a refresh (Timing,gaskets,etc?) or?
Also what size turbo is ideal and what all is really needed to have a decently reliable turbo car?
My goal is 250-275 hp. Very mild as I've never really had a "fast" car before.
any advice or help is appreciated.

i ran a T3/T4 with a drag log manifold on my old LS engine, it aways ran great and had fast spool and power. I would need to look up the exact specs on what I had. As far as the engine itself, not knowing the history of the engine and how it’s been treated through out its life it’s hard to say if it would hold up. I would do a compression test to get an idea if it’s still holding good cylinder pressure. Does the engine burn oil? I’ve seen lots of people install turbos on LS motors with well over 200k on them. Just remember anytime you add more stress to an engine, it’s always likely to stress others things out such as mounts / clutch / axles/ bushings. Most are all easy upgrades. Just run 5-7 psi and stay happy with that and you probably won’t ever have any problems as long as the install is done properly

Ziggy514 09-10-2018 05:49 PM

Thanks.. will have to do the compression test to see where I'm at.. did you do anything to the internals?

turboLScrx 09-10-2018 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Ziggy514 (Post 51726704)
Thanks.. will have to do the compression test to see where I'm at.. did you do anything to the internals?

i never built that engine (bone stock) I ended up running around 12psi before we changed setups and never hurt it. Engine was in a 90 CRX and ran high 11’s around 120. Don’t expect that in the Integra body, but there’s no doubt it would wake the car up. Look at the other thread someone else just posted under forced induction also, AZ just added a nice list of turbos that would work nicely for you

K7-1Ktrevor 09-10-2018 06:22 PM

Ls's haul ass with pretty basic stuff. My old ls turbo eg went 11s all day with a cast iron manifold and eBay 50 trim. Make sure you get a 4 bar map sensor, at least 450cc injectors, Walbro 255 fuel pump and ngk bkr7e spark plugs part number 4644 gapped to .030" and you'll be good to go. If you wanna do a few things to strengthen the motor I'd say arp head studs and more importantly arp rod bolts are the way to go. You'll love the fat torque band they make and they are really awesome setups for a fun daily. I made 314/280tq on 17lbs.

turboLScrx 09-10-2018 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by K7-1Ktrevor (Post 51726717)
Ls's haul ass with pretty basic stuff. My old ls turbo eg went 11s all day with a cast iron manifold and eBay 50 trim. Make sure you get a 4 bar map sensor, at least 450cc injectors, Walbro 255 fuel pump and ngk bkr7e spark plugs part number 4644 gapped to .030" and you'll be good to go. If you wanna do a few things to strengthen the motor I'd say arp head studs and more importantly arp rod bolts are the way to go. You'll love the fat torque band they make and they are really awesome setups for a fun daily. I made 314/280tq on 17lbs.

you balls are much bigger than mine. Lol 11-12 psi on a stock block is as far as I dared. Anything over 7psi I did upgrade to a walbro 255 and a FMU , stock injectors and a missing link. We didn’t have the options back then like everyone has today. That was in the 90’s

K7-1Ktrevor 09-10-2018 07:12 PM

Meh, 12lbs 17lbs the motor doesn't know the difference. Stay at or around 300whp and it will be fairly safe, plus the ls in the car I got for $160 bucks and had backups for cheap. Only issue I ever had was rod bearings but that motor had 340k on it. My stock bottom end b20 made 332 on 15lbs with 238k and that was all wheel hp. I put the stock ls turbo all the way up to 20lbs for a few passes and it held strong.

Ziggy514 09-10-2018 08:51 PM

So arp head studs are a must it seems like.. could I get away without using the arp rod bolts?

K7-1Ktrevor 09-10-2018 09:08 PM

I would say the arp rod bolts are more important then the headstuds. Only issue I've ever had with ls turbo's was Rod bearings.

TheShodan 09-11-2018 11:34 AM

Best place to get the assistance you need. Answers all of the generic questions there.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced...etups-1323059/

If you have a particular setup, then you can list that and get specific questions from there. Otherwise, please read the above link.

Thanks people..