Notices

Turbo b16a future project, noob to the forums needs advice.

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 10:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo b16a future project, noob to the forums needs advice.

Hi, I have a 95 civic ex coupe with a jdm b16a (with b18c1 cams) swapped in. It is going to be off the roads until the end of winter and then I'm going to get it out there. It needs a decent amount of work before it will be ready for turbocharging, so I'm going to try to do suspension work (one of the coils is acting up), get some light wheels and fresh performance tires, maybe purchase some engine management to make use of with my turbo setup but also before.
I've been searching the forums and found lots of information on both of these questions, but I still would like to ask and hopefully get responses from a few people who know the topic well.
First of all, what is the best form of engine management for a turbo set-up with the aim of putting down an easily maintained 225whp initially, but with potential to tune to higher boost and hp if later on I decide to further build the motor? I've heard and read that the hondata s300 is useful, but maybe someone knows of something equally usable but less expensive, or easier?

Second of all, how high could I potentially increase boost if I replaced the stock b16 10.4 pistons with 9.1's, but didn't change any of the other internals? Is there anything I'm seriously misunderstanding by thinking that lower compression pistons are a must for building a turbo motor (that will last and be maleable in terms of how you want it tuned)?

Thanks for the help, I'm just trying to collect info right now. Keeping myself from driving this thing while its sitting uninsured and unregistered waiting for winter to end is gonna be tough, but I think it'll be worth it when it warms up and I've done a little work on the thing. (of course I'll turn it on and drive it around a bunch of times to keep everything in working order , but ah, I've waited a long time to shift at 9,000rpms, and now that I've started my honda adventure, I realize that with my finances, it would be foolish to insure and drive this car now, as I just don't need it at school (I have a perfectly good and mpg friendly DD, '06 Mazda3 with a manny tranny and a well used cruise control function)
Old 09-07-2008, 06:12 AM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Turbo b16a future project, noob to the forums needs advice. (kamikazikid)

only got half way but i have to run after this.

engine management:
since your car is obd1, any honda based ecu will work.
i suggest either the s300 or rtb solely because you no longer need a chip burner to make changes. and you have an integrated boost control with it also.

as for the engine, i got to the part where you want to swap pistons, if you are going that far, dont even mess with the stock rods, just put a set of decent aftermarkets in. eagles are a good rod for a budget build.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you purchase something like the s300, it basically fits right into the stock honda ecu chip doesn't it?
Even though my motor is JDM, will the s300 still fit or will I have to do some sort of conversion?
As far as I understand, yes, it will fit...

Any other input on my original post would be greatl

Also, if I kept the internals (aside from the GSR cams) stock, what boost would be considered safe to run on the b16a with an entry level turbo kit like the Full Race Stage 1 ProStreet kit? I've heard 6-8psi is safe, and I'm only hoping for an initial 225whp. Would 6psi likely allow me to achieve this number?
Old 09-07-2008, 05:13 PM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (kamikazikid)

the s300 is a separate board that yes fits in your stock ecu. and works with jdm engines.