Notices

Turbo automatic obd2 integra , with ac and ps

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo automatic obd2 integra , with ac and ps

OBD2 Automatic integra turbo, with AC and power steering. so far only on 4 psi , but has dropped 2 seconds in the 1/4 and gained 10mph . so far the trans loves it and is running perfect, it barks the tires when you do WOT shifts into second. watch the video and read down further this page for updates.

Last edited by boosted91crx; 08-03-2015 at 09:16 AM.
Old 07-31-2015, 03:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Re: Turbo automatic obd2 integra , with ac and ps

Im sure the trans "Loves" it lol
Old 07-31-2015, 04:56 AM
Swaggylicious

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 07-31-2015, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i find it very hard to believe that 4 psi picked up two seconds...
Old 07-31-2015, 01:07 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

"When you do WOT shifts into second".

"Automatic".

Have we started taking belts on how long it lasts, as an untuned turbo car?
Old 08-01-2015, 04:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You guys are animals!

Craig is a client/buddy of mine, and he knows what he's doing.

The fueling is being taken care of via methanol injection and a MAF controlling it, and ignition timing is 23deg peak, which is nothing for a turbo B18B at 4psi (let alone 6psi it's running now, which it went 15.2 @ 95mph last night with) on the meth and 93oct. There's a ton of methanol being tossed at this thing, which is what's keeping it alive.

As far as the trans goes, that's another story. Who knows how long that will work.
Old 08-01-2015, 05:25 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I think where these guys are coming from is it has already been done before and much better with a rebuilt / built trans. Check out Spawne32's old build thread. DDTECH was the tuner there IIRC.

Plus, IIRC the OP was trying to scam people out of parts a few years ago. Then again, I could be wrong but it's doubtful.
Old 08-01-2015, 05:36 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

i was going to ask why you turboed an automatic integra but then i saw the john deere tractor in the back and then it all made sense...carry on
Old 08-01-2015, 06:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Why all the work for an auto with 4 psi, not hating just curious. What turbo
Old 08-01-2015, 07:00 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

^because the stock auto can't support a large torque increase.

Talk to Spawne32... He had an ls auto trans built and a custom torque converter made for his supercharged ls build. iirc he ditched the project due to some issues with tuning but none of them about the transmission.

I don't know if he's still active but I'm pretty sure DDTech could get in touch with him.

Also I seriously hope you're running a transmission fluid cooler of some sort. I think the b series had one OEM, it isn't very big though. I know the larger accord with the f22a1 had an OEM trans cooler on the autos but it's a liquid to liquid unit built into the radiator. Heat is going to be the biggest killer for you, the excess heat the fluid absorbs from the extra load will cause the fluid to rapidly breakdown if it gets hot enough. A large transmission cooler mounted where it receives airflow and possibly a puller fan would be a good idea.

Also a trans temp gauge is a good idea as well. To give you an idea of trans temps, a 400-450hp autocross/track day prelude saw trans temps in excess of 350F with no trans cooler during a track day session. That's well into the fluid breakdown zone. It was a manual transmission but it gives you an idea of temps, under hard abuse the auto should be around the same temp if not hotter.

City and highway driving like a normal person (read: no wot at every red light, aggressive throttle inputs, and no being a jackass) shouldn't see temps get over 200F or so. The small OEM trans cooler should maintain normal operating temperature during "normal" driving. Only issue is that due to the liquid to liquid design of the OEM the trans temp will never be lower than coolant temp.
Old 08-01-2015, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wantboost
^because the stock auto can't support a large torque increase.

Talk to Spawne32... He had an ls auto trans built and a custom torque converter made for his supercharged ls build. iirc he ditched the project due to some issues with tuning but none of them about the transmission.

I don't know if he's still active but I'm pretty sure DDTech could get in touch with him.

Also I seriously hope you're running a transmission fluid cooler of some sort. I think the b series had one OEM, it isn't very big though. I know the larger accord with the f22a1 had an OEM trans cooler on the autos but it's a liquid to liquid unit built into the radiator. Heat is going to be the biggest killer for you, the excess heat the fluid absorbs from the extra load will cause the fluid to rapidly breakdown if it gets hot enough. A large transmission cooler mounted where it receives airflow and possibly a puller fan would be a good idea.

Also a trans temp gauge is a good idea as well. To give you an idea of trans temps, a 400-450hp autocross/track day prelude saw trans temps in excess of 350F with no trans cooler during a track day session. That's well into the fluid breakdown zone. It was a manual transmission but it gives you an idea of temps, under hard abuse the auto should be around the same temp if not hotter.

City and highway driving like a normal person (read: no wot at every red light, aggressive throttle inputs, and no being a jackass) shouldn't see temps get over 200F or so. The small OEM trans cooler should maintain normal operating temperature during "normal" driving. Only issue is that due to the liquid to liquid design of the OEM the trans temp will never be lower than coolant temp.

Click on the video and skip to 12:17.
Old 08-01-2015, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

When I was 16yrs old I went this route because I had to have a turbo car and my civic was an obd2 automatic. It was a nightmare to tune for such a little outcome. I spent twice the money to turbo the auto I would've to do a manual. After all the time and money for a messily 60hp gain I took the entire kit off and turned the car back to stock. Bought a ek hatch got $1600 installed all onto it and sold the auto for $3600 so got some money back. I still have the hatch 11yrs later. Basically the point is its a whole lotta work for little return unless u have a health issue like one leg or arm where u gotta have an auto. Even then I'd recommend a mklv gli as they made them as decently fast for an auto. Although I'm all for being different and like to see people going across the grain. Hope you can get more boost pumpin thru her safely. Good luck

Last edited by ek9_beast; 08-01-2015 at 01:51 PM.
Old 08-01-2015, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

OP didn't ask anyone if he should have boosted an auto or not. He just posted something he through together, take it for what it is, and at least watch the video before some of you post nonsense.
Old 08-02-2015, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What fluid in the trans?
Old 08-03-2015, 03:24 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Exactly how much is a lot of methanol lol?
Old 08-03-2015, 04:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Turbo automatic cars can be fun guys. They hold boost in between shifts and never miss a gear and with a good convertor will launch more concistantly than any human foot on a clutch. If this setup gets pushed to any sort of power I would definitely be in to see the results! On a side note, are auto LS Integras really 18 sec cars stock lol? I had no idea. I thought my high 16 sec passes back in the day in my 95 EX were bad but apparently I should have been hunting auto Tegs!
Old 08-03-2015, 04:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wantboost
Exactly how much is a lot of methanol lol?
Enough to enrich a turbo engine at 6psi with a completely stock fuel system and ECU thinking it's an NA engine at atmospheric pressure.

He tells me it runs high-10's/low-11's AFR under load, so that's a bunch of methanol.
Old 08-03-2015, 05:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by D-Rob
Enough to enrich a turbo engine at 6psi with a completely stock fuel system and ECU thinking it's an NA engine at atmospheric pressure.

He tells me it runs high-10's/low-11's AFR under load, so that's a bunch of methanol.
Really not trying to be an ***, and I am anxious to see this build progress, but how does cheating the stock ecu with meth constitute "tuning". Your in essence just putting a band-aid on the weak points of a stock OBD 2 Honda, your not actually tailoring any parameters to their proper values, your just making the engine stay alive at the preset values dictated by the stock ecu map. Is there truly no better way in 2015 to do this?
Old 08-03-2015, 07:46 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Sure there is, but most people aren't smart enough to do it LOL! To add to that it's extra work.

Neptune RTP / DemonV2 / HA Motorsports OBD1 AUTO ECU Package

You need the (IIRC) '94 -'95 TCU to go along with it though. It involves some wiring, but it's not a huge deal. It is similar to a DPFI to MPFI to OBD-1 swap, rather simple. Been a long time for me, so some of the details are fuzzy. CROME seamed to be going there before it lost all hope.

PS - Those of us who used to be all into the whole VAFC and FMU type stuff like to call it "hacking" LOL!!!
Old 08-03-2015, 08:04 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Originally Posted by D-Rob

Yea I can imagine it would be an obscene amount, mainly due to moving away from methanol injection as a supplement to lower IATs and suppress detonation to using as a secondary fuel solely for the octane rating. I'm assuming it's being run so rich to try and safeguard the bottom end/trans?

This has me genuinely curious
Old 08-03-2015, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey guys thanks for all the feed back , let me try and answer them all as best i can.

why the auto?? its for my GF who bracket races, i have built her and bought her a few stick cars including including a pretty fast turbo b series delsol, she just cant figure out how to launch and be consistent. we bracket race in a very competitive class that requires you to cut very good lights and run the same time every time down to the hundreth in order to have a chance at going rounds. she dont care how fast it ends up going she just wanted something faster then 18s. and something fun to drive to work and get her nails done. ( the john deer is for moving dirt and snow we live on 13 acres of private and secluded land, we acually need a bulldozer to lol )

fluid in trans is what ever was in it when we bought it ( has 202 k on it ) i added some dex 3 to top it off when i added the cooler

by WOT shifts into second i mean she does manually shift the car, i have a shift light for her so she shifts at the same rpm each time, we had to go this route because we discovered the car sometimes was taking off in second gear even if just for a instant before down shifting ( my 06 auto ridgline does this to so i think its a programming thing in hondas ) any way by manually shifting it starts in low 1 every time now. and yes it barks the tires into second its actually kinda neat to hear and feel.

yes there is a trans cooler the largest one i could find that was meant for a RV, temps stay around 150 degrees when running it hard.

why do i call it tuning? well simple this is a OBD2 auto there is no ECU solution. i am using a mass air flow meter and a meth kit that has its own control module with several adjustable parameters. i can adjust when the spray starts, how hard it starts and how hard and fast it ramps up, this is no different then when i tune with HONDATA or HP TUNERS its just a different method and requires no timing adjustment.

Yes it gained 12 mph and dropped 2 seconds on 4 psi, we wasnt able to go past 4 psi due to back pressure and not wanting to stack tons of springs in the gate, however that is fixed and keep reading for a update.

Now for a update, on friday i removed the cat and made a test pipe, i also installed a maf from a mazda protege that was 2.5 in and out so required no reducers, ( i believe thats why the camaro one wasnt responding fast enough and i had to resort to the less tunable extra MAP sensor ) any way this maf allowed me to get back on track and dial in the meth based on actual air flow and fine tune it much better. taking the cat off really made a difference in air flow!! the boost went up on its own and i was forced to remove a spring from the gate to get it back down to a reasonable 5 psi, however even maxing out the meth kits pump i wasnt able to get the air fuels under 12 so i had to double the size of the nozzle and this allowed me to easily get the AFRs back into the high 10s, i added a MBC and set boost to 6 PSI and we went to the track. It really woke up!! first pass was a 15.2 at almost 96 mph!! this is a 3 second drop and a gain of 20 mph on 6 psi and with a kit made up of mostly parts i had laying around ( i own JS Racing Products, JS Racing Products: Turbo Kits, Bump Box, and Phone Consultations and have allot of left overs stock piled so investment in cash was very low ) i have a full exhaust coming for it so we hope it wakes up even more, its still running the original OEM exhaust just now with a home made test pipe.

we all know the trans is weak in these cars, this isnt a post to debate that. bottom line is she cant race a stick and she is really enjoying the car. heck i even been driving it every chance i get, its just fun and i have several cars that are in the 10s and 9s i could drive but its hot out and they dont have AC lol.

our local track is closed this week but in 2 weeks i hope to be at the track with the exhaust installed and maybe 7 or 8 psi and see if we cant get 14s. i am attaching a pic of 2 slips 1 is before the kit and 1 is this past friday. ( notice even her lights are getting better since it leaves a little harder an we are now trapping in the 1/8th what we used to trap in the 1/4 ) I will keep you all updated.
Attached Images  

Last edited by boosted91crx; 08-03-2015 at 09:25 AM.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok well this is a bit different with some details lol. Pretty interesting.

Why is the 60ft so bad? Not trying to launch it hard?
Old 08-03-2015, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
Ok well this is a bit different with some details lol. Pretty interesting.

Why is the 60ft so bad? Not trying to launch it hard?
thats all it has thats WOT in first gear with brake on and gas floored, she just lifts off the brake. these cars are dogs off the line. at least this one is. it makes about .6 of a psi now brake boosting and this is why its now a low 2.6 60 ft not a mid 2.7 i hope it gets even better with the better exhaust installed. if it had more stall i think it could run a 13 second pass.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts

I like it!
Old 08-03-2015, 11:18 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

I have to say I absolutely love what you are trying to accomplish here. It seems like here lately there haven't been any unique or ground breaking builds, at least not that or noticed. What I am seeing is an increase in what I call "cookie cutter" setups. That is someone researches other setups making the same kind of power they want and then they pick and choose parts from the best examples. This project already has wolf in sheeps clothing written all over it and as you keep increasing the power it will only start pissing more people off lol.

And if I become your girlfriend would you build me a car too? haha

Honestly I think most people on here are missing the point of this experiment. It isn't designed to be fast. It's main purpose is to be quicker, more fun to drive, and consistent. That last part is especially important in the kind of heads up bracket racing she does. While I never personally embraced drag racing I have done my share of runs here and there ad I think anyone can tell you that a consistent launch (without breaking the drivetrain left and right) is easily the single most important part.

Now in regards to the methanol are you injecting pure methanol or a water/methanol blend? From your description it sounds like you have one of Snows kits correct? If it is a water/methanol blend what ratio/percentage are you using? While 50/50 is considered more stable in regards to flammability moving up to 70% methanol would raise the detonation limit even higher because then you are getting a larger octane boost and using the methanol more as a secondary supplemental fuel more than anything else while still getting some IAT lowering from the water content. Moving to pure methanol would yield better results as well.

In regards to "tuning" I don't recall if the obd2 civics had an external or internal TCU. IIRC Spawne32 or one of his friends managed to break the code used by the TCU and that allowed them to play with transmission tuning. I was thinking about boosting the auto f22a1 in my accord because despite having right under 246 on the car the transmission still behaves like it is brand new although I don't really feel like finding the limits of the trans the hard way.

Furthermore if you ever decide to move over into actually doing fuel and ignition tuning then I have the perfect solution for you. The AEM FIC..it piggybacks between the ecu and engine harness while letting you keep your stock ECU and TCU. You simply setup signal clamps on the signals entering the OEM ECU and that prevents it from ever knowing anything on the motor was changed. Using the on board MAP sensor you can then manipulate the signals leaving the ecu to control fuel and ignition settings. It can even control additional injectors and I believe control boost pressure as well. The FIC is very popular on OBD2 applications that have no available aftermarket form of factory ECU tuning while avoiding having to cut up an OEM wiring harness or going full standalone which would prevent the car from getting tagged.

I would seriously consider the FIC down the road if you ever want to reliably make more power although I have to imagine you'll find the transmission limits sooner than later. I wish HPTuners would break into the "import" market, especially with confirmation that the new turbocharged Type R will be released here in the US. We use it on our 650rwhp C6 Z06 time attack car and I absolutely love the interface and ease of use. I was also bummed that HPT doesn't support my 04 SVT Focus but they do support the 05 and up models leaving me with no options but the SCT Pro Racer software (meh), run an SAFC (even more meh haha), or go full standalone. I definitely feel that HPT could dominate a large section of the import market if they could.

I'll definitely keep an eye on your build as it has caught my interest and I can't wait too see what direction it's headed in. Keep up the hard work and ignore the **** talkers, I have a feeling this is headed for infamy

Quick Reply: Turbo automatic obd2 integra , with ac and ps