Notices

Turbo automatic F-series...

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2005, 01:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo automatic F-series...

Anyone running this setup? My main question is how well has the transmission held up? I'm not looking for crazy HP numbers, just a low boost setup to increase torque for passing and highway fun. Bone stock single cam VTEC setup, small turbo, 5-7 psi max, 6000-6500 rpm limit.
Old 10-29-2005, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Turbo automatic F-series... (HidPerf)

ehhh... You could do it, but you're going to want to have some money set aside for a manual swap when the auto gives out. Many have tried to turbo their f22 or f23 with auto trannies, and all but 1 or 2 have failed.

If you feel like giving it a shot, you'll want to get a tranny cooler at the very least.
Old 10-29-2005, 09:55 PM

A manual swap is out of the question. The car won't be driven hard at all. It won't even see drag strip time. I'm mainly thinking of doing it just for a little extra grunt when passing on the highway and such. What started it all is the fact that I'm going to need an engine rebuild/swap soon. It's a non-VTEC now and I've got a low milage VTEC single cam for practically nothing. And before I hear about how much money I'll waste, it's pretty much free. I've got most of the parts and I'll be doing all the install myself.

I've been trying to find upgraded clutches and steels for the Honda autos but haven't had much luck as of yet. I'm not even sure anyone makes ANYTHING for these transmissions.

I was mainly interested in people who have actually done an auto/turbo themselves.
Old 10-29-2005, 11:23 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I had a turbo auto Eclipse. Well known for blowing clutches. I had no problems at 13psi. Lotta fun with people knowing I was auto but not turbo, then I would walk on them on the freeway.

At 7-8psi, you should be just fine. Rock some Royal Purple ATF or some Lucas Oil ATF for High Performance Applications and you will be just fine.
Old 10-30-2005, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (SlowSpyder)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SlowSpyder &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I had a turbo auto Eclipse. Well known for blowing clutches. I had no problems at 13psi. Lotta fun with people knowing I was auto but not turbo, then I would walk on them on the freeway.

At 7-8psi, you should be just fine. Rock some Royal Purple ATF or some Lucas Oil ATF for High Performance Applications and you will be just fine.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm sorry, but you cannot compare an auto Eclipse to an auto Accord.

HidPerf,
Level 10 can upgrade your torque converter, but it gets pricey. As I said earlier, if you go through with turbo'ing your car, you're going to want to get a tranny cooler at the very least.

I understand you want to hear it from someone who's done it personally. That's fine. Search through the Accord forum archives, there's been plenty of threads about it over the years. Plenty of people have tried it and posted about it. (You'll need to search through by posts, not title, to get most of the threads I'm talking about.)
Old 10-30-2005, 11:14 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Search is down asshat.

Accord Auto trannies are more durable than any Mitsubishi Auto trannie.

I used to work at Honda, parts manager, I have seen the problems that F-series Auto trannies have. 98-02 Accord trannies, have a problem where a crack begins to form around the 4th and 5th bolt that secures the trans to the block.

With that out of the way, 94-97 Accord EX, LX&lt; and DX trannies in auto form have had no serious failure problems that I know of. The only thing I have ever seen when I was at Honda, was people weren't keeping their fluids at appropriate levels and scorching clutches. Axles was another problem but people who jsut drive their cars could really give 2 ***** about stuff like that.

I am going to have to say go with your gut feeling. If you are going to run low boost, you should be just fine. Don't let these H-T croneys scare ya into thinking the only way to turbo your car is to do an Auto to Manual swap. Screw them.

Good luck.
Old 10-30-2005, 01:33 PM

Default Re: (philadd)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philadd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
HidPerf,
Level 10 can upgrade your torque converter, but it gets pricey. As I said earlier, if you go through with turbo'ing your car, you're going to want to get a tranny cooler at the very least.

I understand you want to hear it from someone who's done it personally. That's fine. Search through the Accord forum archives, there's been plenty of threads about it over the years. Plenty of people have tried it and posted about it. (You'll need to search through by posts, not title, to get most of the threads I'm talking about.)</TD></TR></TABLE>

I've searched the archives, although by title, and read a few threads but it seems everyone "knows a guy who did it" and none of them have personally experianced it. A few people have given examples of the auto H22 with 200hp and how it worked fine in Japan.

The car already has an external cooler that I added and I change the ATF every time I change the oil.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SlowSpyder &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Accord Auto trannies are more durable than any Mitsubishi Auto trannie.

I used to work at Honda, parts manager, I have seen the problems that F-series Auto trannies have. 98-02 Accord trannies, have a problem where a crack begins to form around the 4th and 5th bolt that secures the trans to the block.

With that out of the way, 94-97 Accord EX, LX&lt; and DX trannies in auto form have had no serious failure problems that I know of. The only thing I have ever seen when I was at Honda, was people weren't keeping their fluids at appropriate levels and scorching clutches. Axles was another problem but people who jsut drive their cars could really give 2 ***** about stuff like that.

I am going to have to say go with your gut feeling. If you are going to run low boost, you should be just fine. Don't let these H-T croneys scare ya into thinking the only way to turbo your car is to do an Auto to Manual swap. Screw them.

Good luck.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Just for the record, I've been working for Honda/Acura in some form or another since 1986 so I too have seen the problems, or lack of them, with the 94-97 4cyl auto trans. Again, I was hoping for actual experiances to address any pros or cons.

Let me throw another wrench into the cogs on this one. Here's exactly what I'm planning on doing. I have a 95 F22 Odyssey LX. The non-VTEC engine is gutless and the shift logic for the trans is...well..not logical. When I swap the engine, I'll be putting a 75k mile F22 w/ VTEC in it's place. Now, since the Odyssey didn't come with VTEC that year, I'll have to run an Accord ECU and probably switch to an Accord Trans ECU as well. The turbo kit will be built from parts I have laying around the garage from past projects. Nothing fancy: VAFC, FMU, Mitsu or T-Bird turbo internally gated, custom pipes and intercooler and probably even a Mitsu BOV.

Old 10-30-2005, 02:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (HidPerf)

PM stinker504 on here, he's got an auto F23 which has been running low boost for well over a year now w/ no problems.
Old 11-02-2005, 07:29 PM

Default here's a little info

I just put in the drag turbo kit in my 2000 accord 4 cylinder. I have an automatic and you saying it's just for little passing fun on the freeway and on ramp etc. is prob. not gonna be true. When you start feeling the boost, you're gonna want to do it everytime. My auto tranny is still living w/o the tranny cooler but it can't hold past 2 PSI's. It slips everytime. 've only had the kit for a week. The kit is set between 5-7 PSI's when i got it and my tranny was never able to handle all that much. You might consider gettin an aftermarket torque converter, some kind of engine management and injectors.
If you ask me, i wouldn't recommend doing it b/c it really won't last, trust me. I'm puttin in a manual swap right now and it's only gonna run me a grand with install and etc. ( luckily). Anyways, the reason why it's so hard for an auto tranny to hold 5-7 PSI of boost is b/c the tranny can't recognize it.

HOpe this info helped...let me know if you have any other questions...
Old 11-02-2005, 08:02 PM

Default Re: here's a little info (typeRaccord)

I appreciate the info typeRaccord.

First let me say that there is no way I'll be switching to a 5-speed. Since this is actually an Odyssey and not an Accord, everything would have to be custom made or highly modified. The car is my daily driver so I have no intentions of making it fast or anything like that. It's a great car that's in great shape but it just needs a little pickup. A V6 swap would be ideal but since they never made them here, parts would be hard to find as well. So a boosted F22/F23 VTEC is my only option.

Second, engine management is non-existant unless I do some major changes to the ECU setup. If I switch to a P28, then I have to have a crazy conversion harness made that will allow me to run the transmission control unit. And, for what I'm looking to do with it, I can make things work just fine with a FPR and VAFC. Like I said, no increase in rev limit, low boost and most of the time spent at part throttle. My only concern with using the Accord ECU and TCU is that I don't know how different they are and if the car will run properly.

Lastly, I'm no stranger to boosted cars or high horsepower cars even. My last street car was a low 11sec Ford Fairmont. I know how addictive it is, that's why I have my "weekend" car listed in my sig. It's got all the power I need for now and I can abuse the hell out of it and not worry about being without a car during the week. The Odyssey is built to look good, get me around in comfort and haul my drums when needed. The Integra is the exact opposite. It's a total sleeper with no creature comforts and will suprise quite a few people.

Good luck with your Accord. If you have any questions about your 5-speed swap, I can probably help. I've done quite a few myself. My daily driver before the Odyssey was a 96 Accord 4d LX with a complete OBD-II legal 98 Lude H22 swap and WAY to many other parts to list.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: here's a little info (HidPerf)

i have one point to make honda cant make a auto tranny to save there life
Old 11-02-2005, 11:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ExcessivePerformance)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ExcessivePerformance &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I used to work at Honda, parts manager, I have seen the problems that F-series Auto trannies have. 98-02 Accord trannies, have a problem where a crack begins to form around the 4th and 5th bolt that secures the trans to the block. </TD></TR></TABLE>

right, but being parts manager you wouldnt have seen problems that boosted accords with autos are having?

The Accord forum is littered with autobox issues...if the auto is a must, at least run a tranny cooler, and even better get some upgrades from Level 10.

I only know one guy who had a turbo setup on his auto accord, lasted a few months before crapping itself (stock auto on 8-10psi of boost).
Old 11-02-2005, 11:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my auto f22 took a **** after a yr or so of very light nitrous use. and yeah the accord forum is full of threads of f22 and f23 auto trannies failing.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:49 AM

Default Re: (raceACCORDingly)

Well, looks like it's time to start looking for a good core trans to rebuild before the swap.
Old 11-03-2005, 05:10 AM

noone has brought up one of the most important points....autos have clutches for each gear. These clutches (especially Honda autos) start slipping when you go past a certain torque level and overheat shortening their life. There is no way to run a decent amount of boost on a Honda auto and have it live for a long time unless you upgrade these clutches, the torque converter, and run a trans cooler. and by then you are just throwing money away. I have personally killed 7 odyssey transmissions in 2 years, but thats just by beating on them w/o boost while Honda picked up the tab, not proud of it but it was my job back then.
Go ahead and boost it, sometimes the best way to learn is to fail.
Old 11-03-2005, 05:23 AM

Default Re: (ToasterOven)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ToasterOven &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">noone has brought up one of the most important points....autos have clutches for each gear. These clutches (especially Honda autos) start slipping when you go past a certain torque level and overheat shortening their life. There is no way to run a decent amount of boost on a Honda auto and have it live for a long time unless you upgrade these clutches, the torque converter, and run a trans cooler. and by then you are just throwing money away. I have personally killed 7 odyssey transmissions in 2 years, but thats just by beating on them w/o boost while Honda picked up the tab, not proud of it but it was my job back then.
Go ahead and boost it, sometimes the best way to learn is to fail.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I've been trying to find upgraded clutches and steels but I can't seem to find anyone that makes them for Hondas.

I'd also like to point out that the majority of 4-cyl Honda trans failures are due to owner abuse and lack of upkeep, just as you pointed out. I could destroy mine in 5 minutes if I wanted to, but right now mine has 210k on the original trans. Why? Because I've kept up the fluid changes in it and NOT abused it. There's no doubt in my mind that a 5-speed would be the way to go, but it's not an option. And there's really no other way to add torque to this thing other than turbo.

Right now it's all coming down to parts availability for the trans I guess. I'll still do the engine swap and I can always add the turbo later.

I do appreciate all the input though.

BTW, where did you work that you got to abuse vehicles until failure?
Old 11-05-2005, 06:23 AM

I am building an acura transmission for a ls turbo setup. I machined the drums out to add extra clutches.I also had to locate thinner steels to fit in the drums. I got the frictions & steels from ALTO . I have room in 1st 3rd & 4th drums to add 1 extra clutch for a total of 4 clutches. On 2nd gear I made enough room to add 2 extra clutches. 2nd gear needs the most work on my trans because the gear drop between 1st and 2nd is pretty wide. There is a guy that used to post on here I do not know his screen name but his real name is walt pham. he has a h motor turbo car that runs in the 12's and he has not had any troubles with his trans. I have his e-mail he is from cali somewhere. You should be able to add clutches to your trans and I think it will work good.
Old 11-05-2005, 07:23 AM

Default Re: (atcrx)

Are you using factory type linnings on your clutches or are they the red or blue clutches? Are you using Koline steels as well? How are you modifying the valve body if you even are? I would imagine with the added surface area you're creating, you would need more line pressure to the clutch packs correct? I don't know about the Bseries autos, but the Fseries like a giant ball of confusion inside. lol Luckily, I have my trusty factory service manual by my side.

Does Walt Pham build autos or was that just his own he built?
Old 11-05-2005, 11:53 AM

I am using factory linings. They didn't offer a red lining. I am also using factory steels. The only mods to my valve body is blocking the accumaltor pistons and we turned up the line pressure. Walt trans was on his own car. I looked back at the old e-mails and his car went 11.72 @123 with a 1.90 60 ft. I found a website for him http://www.dimensional1.com/ But I think most of his stuff is stock.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:10 PM

Default Re: (atcrx)

'ATCRX' Seem like you are very knowledgable on auto tranny. Maybe when you get it down, you can give me some tips. I have to agree that transmission cooler really help because I haven't experience any tranny problems.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:15 PM

Default Re: Turbo automatic F-series... (HidPerf)

I have been racing with my automatic civic for about 5 yrs and never have any problems. Just change your tran oil often and add a tranny oil cooler.
Old 11-10-2005, 06:04 PM

Default Re: Turbo automatic F-series... (honda2213)

OK to give you a straight answer it cant handle anything above 6 psi. how do i know i just built an accord with an auto tranny last week. during tuning on the sixth WOT pass the tranny started slipping everytime it shifted. this is a car that has never been raced 2 years daily driven and well maintained. it ran a small *** rb20 turbo

were planning on adding a tranny cooler soon il let you know if that works
Old 02-25-2013, 09:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo automatic F-series...

im looking to boost my f22 with a auto transmission also for the exact same reason. did you have any luck?
Old 02-26-2013, 03:54 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: Turbo automatic F-series...

I think you would have heard about it sometime in the 8 years since this thread saw daylight. I'm guessing he didn't follow through.