Notices

Turbo advice and opinions

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2001, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo advice and opinions

I'm not looking to go way extreme, the long term life of my motor is a concern to me. That's why I'm not want to push the boost to much. Between 6 and 10 is good for me, I think I'm gonna shoot for 9lbs to start with. I mean I do have an LS powered 88 HF, ya know? I'd like to have a nice smooth feeling power increase, I don't like sharp power spikes, as they usually break something.....lol

The one that many people say spools well for the B18A is the Greddy kit. I've also heard good things about the Rev Hard kit that you suggested. Under my own personal research I was looking at the F-max kit. I'd like to say relavtively low budget, but keep my engine safe as possible. I can save for a more expensie set up if it means protecting my engine and providinh me with reliable boost. Could you all help me out with my decision?

Right now I'm in the midst of pulling the head off my motor and getting a valve job done. I found out that I've got a leaking head gasket. I'm going to replace my B18A cams and springs with those from a 95 B18B. I got them for free so I figure might as well use them. The cams are a little more aggressive, and the springs are newer so they'll control the valves better.

So I'm not looking to do this tomorrow. But sometime in the next few months or so. Any help or insight you can share with me, I'd appreciate allot

~steven
Old 06-28-2001, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Turbo advice and opinions (Speed PHreak)

i woudl get your head done with some valve springs and retainers. With some new oversized valves. The head will be much more stout that way plus it will be less prone to float a valve. The Ls motors are notorious for doing that. Especially if you rev it. the turbo kit is preference of choice. All are good. I would use the revhard stage II or drag gen III . I like those kits for ease of installation and simple fmu style setup. The LS will have no problem boosting 9psi. IT will run just fine. Keep a good eye on a/f ratio and you should be very happy at 9 psi in HF