Notices

Turbo Accord love...

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 07:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Turbo Accord love...

This thing has been about 3 years and almost $6k in the making. Finally finished up this weekend. I did pretty much everything in this fabrication and build short of clean/bore/honing - which is why it took so long.

Rundown:
F22B2 bored .020 over
Stock head
Eagle H22 rods custom CP pistons, about 9.5:1 c/r
ACL Bearings
ARP H23 Headstuds
OEM Headgasket
Drag manifold
T3/T04e 60trim .82 a/r (ITR206's turbo)
26 x 6 x 3.5 Intercooler (picked up off Ebay)
2.5" downpipe - kinda A/C compatible - A/C's there, no room for lines
2.5" charge pipes
Tial wastegate and blow off valve
Precision 580cc Injectors
KTeller 2.5" exhaust
Action 1MS clutch, stock flywheel
Street tuned with Crome and a Zetronix wideband on a P05 ECU

I'm just running at the stock 7psi spring and it's damn fast. Tial wastegate is holding my drag mani rock solid at 7. Traction is pretty much non-existent in 1st and 2nd. Hoping to get on a dyno soon.

Modified by dennis at 10:18 AM 1/18/2005

Modified by dennis at 12:21 PM 1/18/2005
Old 01-17-2005, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Turbo Accord love... (dennis)

I love the accords,
Old 01-17-2005, 07:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dennis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This thing has been about 3 years and almost $6k in the making. Finally finished up this weekend. I did pretty much everything in this fabrication and build short of clean/bore/honing - which is why it took so long.

Rundown:
F22B2 bored .020 over
Stock head
Eagle H22 rods custom CP pistons, about 9.5:1 c/r
ACL Bearings
ARP H23 Headstuds
</TD></TR></TABLE>

did you use the h22 rods so you would have a better rod to stroke ratio and then get custom pistons to make proper deck height?

if so i would be interested in the exact specs of the piston, like if you had a spec sheet from cp

nice setup, hope it puts down good number!
Old 01-17-2005, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo Accord love... (oxycotton)

nice i have a 97 im going to turbo it when i get the money. i want to see some numbers. how fast does that turbo spool? i was going to go with a t3 super 60 trim .63 ar to help the spool.
Old 01-17-2005, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

turbo f22's are nice
Old 01-18-2005, 05:17 AM

Default Re: Turbo Accord love... (prelittlelude)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by prelittlelude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">did you use the h22 rods so you would have a better rod to stroke ratio and then get custom pistons to make proper deck height?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's exactly what I did. The main reason I did it though was that no one except Crower had F22 rods at the time - and I wasn't going to pay $600+ when eagles would suffice at $300. I think more people are making F22 rods these days though. I think Spark had a deal a while ago on some. It'd be easier to go that route and buy shelf pistons.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">nice i have a 97 im going to turbo it when i get the money. i want to see some numbers. how fast does that turbo spool? i was going to go with a t3 super 60 trim .63 ar to help the spool. </TD></TR></TABLE>

The turbo does not spool that fast, but that's mainly due to the .82 housing. I wanted a larger laggier (sp) turbo from the getgo so I'm not riding around in boost all day. As far as I know, a t3 super 60 would probably spool up much faster. I think I was getting to full boost around 4k. It comes on like a wall. Too much fun

Another thing, for other DIY's, I'd get a thinner intercooler - maybe 2.5 or 3" instead of 3.5" thick. I had to do a lot of hacking to get it to fit. It does sit completely under the bumper though - which is good since I didn't want to hack my actual bumper. I don't have ABS either, so I had plenty of room on the driver's side. Not sure what you guys would have to do with ABS. Had to sacrifice my windshield resovoir too. The A/C is still in there, but I don't have the lines hooked up at the time.

To do:
Proper catch-can setup
LSD (maybe) Torque steer is a bitch...
Some form of boost controller, probably a manual one
Better (or maybe no muffler) - running a $30 pepboys special at the moment

Edit: (for prelittlelude). If you wanted to do this, talk to Rocket (Robert) at http://m24x.com - he's the man!
CP Specs:

Modified by dennis at 9:30 AM 1/18/2005
Old 01-18-2005, 05:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I dont see any pics. I wish my dad would turbo our accord. I think that would be a fun lil sleeper
Old 01-18-2005, 06:02 AM

Default Re: Turbo Accord love... (redturbocivic)

I have some permissions on my site that may not be agreeing with you. Click http://denniscraig.org/pics/ac...1_05/ to access all the pics.
Old 01-18-2005, 06:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

that turbo on my car was rediculous. The spool was awesome, and the top end is just scary. The .82 might be a little big for you, but for the money, that was a deal.

BTW, glad its working out for you.
Old 01-18-2005, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo Accord love... (itr206)

Sweet setup man. More inspiration on my setup. Nice that you did some internal work on the accord but just wondering why because it's already strong enough to handle the power. Are you thinking about making more boost around 15psi? What kind of fuel management do you have?

I was told from a fellow boosted accordian that 10psi is good for stock internals. So that is what I planned to do. I have tial 38mm wastegate set at 10psi, drag charge pipes, blitz dd BOV, JRC intercooler, and ramstyle manifold. I need to buy a turbo but don't know what specs to buy. Could you help me out? I want boost kind of quick.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:20 AM

Default Re: Turbo Accord love... (rhdune16)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rhdune16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sweet setup man. More inspiration on my setup. Nice that you did some internal work on the accord but just wondering why because it's already strong enough to handle the power. Are you thinking about making more boost around 15psi? What kind of fuel management do you have?

I was told from a fellow boosted accordian that 10psi is good for stock internals. So that is what I planned to do. I have tial 38mm wastegate set at 10psi, drag charge pipes, blitz dd BOV, JRC intercooler, and ramstyle manifold. I need to buy a turbo but don't know what specs to buy. Could you help me out? I want boost kind of quick. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I just wanted to do it right the first time, so I bought a spare long block and built it up. I had minimal downtime that way. My initial goal is 300hp, so whatever amount of boost it takes to get there...

I'll definitely run more boost, just getting a feel for it at the moment. I need to either get a heavier spring or a boost controller for my wastegate.

As far as the turbo is concerned. I'm sure mine's a little big. I ride around in vacuum all day until I punch it. It's what I wanted, but others may want something with smaller turbine housing - maybe a .63 a/r? F motors don't rev very high either, so I probably won't be using the large housing to my advantage - I'll find out once I get on the dyno. I'll rev higher if need be 7k max though on my stock head. I'd just keep an eye out for a good deal on a used one - that's what I did

Managment is handled by Crome using a P05 ECU (converted to P06 - 1 extra transistor soldered in for O2 heater) - you could use any obd1 civic/integra ecu though. My friend just happened to have a spare P05 though.

I basically tuned my car a while ago using H22 maps to run N/A - once I added the turbo, I just added the boost tables in Crome and took out .75 timing per pound of boost. I get down around 12.5:1 AFR under max boost (7psi at the moment).

I have one slight issue with idle, but it's not bad. It's never stalled on me. I'll play with that when I get a chance.

Both Crome and Uberdata are awesome, I don't understand others would pay for hond@t@, but to each their own.
Old 01-18-2005, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

did you have any trouble finding parts or puting it on. i want to make it easy and when i do mine. i have to put in a 5 speed first though.
Old 01-18-2005, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Do you have any pics of your downpipe??
Old 01-18-2005, 07:54 PM

Default Re: (rhdune16)

sweet to see you got it running. im still waiting on my pistons from cp that i ordered on dec. 8th. how long did it take them to get you yours? i went with stock compression instead of the 9.5.1, same eagle rod though. i did go with a 50 trim .63 ar turbo though, she should spool up nicely i hope.
how did the h23 headstuds work out?? thats what i was planning on going with but it's good to see i dont have to be the first!
turn up the boost and keep us updated!!
Old 01-18-2005, 09:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (fknslmd)

hey Dennis
nice to see that i'm not the only turbo accord in north florida,,, you need to bring it over one day,, ive been playing with uber on my accord and its working out pretty good,,, got it tuned on the street to about 15 psi running 11.5 to 12.5 afr @15 psi car idles really good. H23a studs work really good. give me a call when you can,,mike
Old 01-19-2005, 12:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

looks like a nice lil setup, are you planning on leaving the head stock? (if so i'd look around for the f22aX, hehe)

i'm interested to see what this makes power wise.
Old 01-19-2005, 05:06 AM

Default Re:

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by O3DigitalBath &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">looks like a nice lil setup, are you planning on leaving the head stock? (if so i'd look around for the f22aX, hehe)

i'm interested to see what this makes power wise.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not sure what I'm going to do with the head. I have a spare one, so I may send it off to Rocket (M24x.com) one day to have him work some magic on it.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mikealike &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hey Dennis
nice to see that i'm not the only turbo accord in north florida,,, you need to bring it over one day,, ive been playing with uber on my accord and its working out pretty good,,, got it tuned on the street to about 15 psi running 11.5 to 12.5 afr @15 psi car idles really good. H23a studs work really good. give me a call when you can,,mike</TD></TR></TABLE>

What's up Mike! to the guy that got me interested in modding my Accord 3 years ago and telling me that H22 rods would work! It looks like I'm gonna be in Jax on the 29th for a dyno day. I saw the flyer yesterday, but can't find it at the moment, we should meet up. Are you running a 3bar map sensor with Uberdata? What ECU are you using? Mine idles pretty good, but sometimes goes a little low - it's never stalled on me though. You do anything with your EGR?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> sweet to see you got it running. im still waiting on my pistons from cp that i ordered on dec. 8th. how long did it take them to get you yours? i went with stock compression instead of the 9.5.1, same eagle rod though. i did go with a 50 trim .63 ar turbo though, she should spool up nicely i hope.
how did the h23 headstuds work out?? thats what i was planning on going with but it's good to see i dont have to be the first!
turn up the boost and keep us updated!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

H23 headstuds work out perfect. Check out lightningmotorsports.com for a good deal on them. Those guys really came through with good deals on a lot of the parts I ordered.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Do you have any pics of your downpipe??</TD></TR></TABLE>

Nah, I should have taken some, but I got lazy. It wasn't too hard to make, but I did have to order one of those tight radius donuts for the first bend in order to clear the A/C. I cleared the A/C, but didn't leave enough room for the lines. My bad... I'll make another one when summer comes around It was also pretty close to the alternator plug, but so far, no problems. I wrapped the top of the downpipe with hitemp wrap.

Donut: (you can buy from roadraceengineering.com or chassisshop.com (cheaper))

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">did you have any trouble finding parts or puting it on. i want to make it easy and when i do mine. i have to put in a 5 speed first though.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Parts weren't too hard to find. I did have to do a lot of research though. Like figuring out H23 studs would fit. None of the other parts are really made for an Accord, but I made them work. Luckily, some folks make f22/23 rods now and you can buy shelf pistons from a couple different people. So that makes things easier if you want to beef up your bottom end.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Re: (dennis)

thanks
Old 01-19-2005, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice work. I'd highly recommend tweaking he ignition settings. Especially on a larger bore motor like the F22, you're going to really benefit from this. My rule of thumb is 0.25 deg / psi until 3psi, 0.5deg/psi from 3 until 7, 0.75 from 7-10 and 1 deg/psi after 10. That's jsut a rule of thumb, mind you, but it will give you a lot better throttle response than linear retard.

Old school accord turbos rock. Props + congrats.
Old 01-19-2005, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

How would this turbo be for a stock internal accord with 10psi of boost http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...33742
Old 01-19-2005, 09:16 AM

Default Re: (blundar)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blundar &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Nice work. I'd highly recommend tweaking he ignition settings. Especially on a larger bore motor like the F22, you're going to really benefit from this. My rule of thumb is 0.25 deg / psi until 3psi, 0.5deg/psi from 3 until 7, 0.75 from 7-10 and 1 deg/psi after 10. That's jsut a rule of thumb, mind you, but it will give you a lot better throttle response than linear retard.

Old school accord turbos rock. Props + congrats.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks Blundar. I've heard mixed stuff about the F22's and timing. Some say more timing, some say less. So it's kind of up in the air right now. I did plan on the using the stepped retard though, it's just finding time to work on it. I thought I heard some detonation the other day, but I really don't know for sure. It's kind of hard to tell with open dump tube - there's so much noise coming from the front That, and this is the first turbo Honda I've driven.

I'm going to hit up Mase and see if he'll let me borrow his romulator - tuning would go much faster

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rhdune16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How would this turbo be for a stock internal accord with 10psi of boost http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...33742</TD></TR></TABLE>

I honestly wouldn't know what to recommend to you. It all depends on what you want. I wanted something that had some lag (in exchange for traction) and a good top end, so I opted for the larger t3/to4e. That, and I found a good deal on a used one. Only thing I'd recommend is that whatever turbo / manifold you get, make sure the flanges match.
Old 01-19-2005, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm probably going to have to side with the peeps saying "more" for a couple reasons.

1. Bigger bore needs longer for flame propagation.

2. Large chambers in head need longer for flame propagation.

3. Relatively low compression.

It's been a while since I looked at a F22A head, but I'm fairly sure that the above statements will be accurate.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re:

Sweet... like the color (we match ).

Always good to see another Accord boosted... took me about bit more than a year to get mine together.

Old 01-19-2005, 10:41 AM

Default Re: (blundar)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blundar &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm probably going to have to side with the peeps saying "more" for a couple reasons.

1. Bigger bore needs longer for flame propagation.

2. Large chambers in head need longer for flame propagation.

3. Relatively low compression.

It's been a while since I looked at a F22A head, but I'm fairly sure that the above statements will be accurate. </TD></TR></TABLE>

All seems to hold true except for #3 - we were estimating 9.5:1 with the custom pistons Rocket and I designed (up from 8.8:1 stock). I'll experiment this weekend though.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by twkdCD595 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sweet... like the color (we match ).

Always good to see another Accord boosted... took me about bit more than a year to get mine together.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

- is yours a 4 door though? (mine is) Got the fast grocery getter
Old 01-19-2005, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

9.5:1 compression still isn't ****. You probably have a horribly ineffecient combustion chamber and port design tho unless you've done some serious headwork. (Talk to Bisi about doing freaky things with accord heads lol)