Notices

Turbo Accord: BOV not opening(i think) but car runs great

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Turbo Accord: BOV not opening(i think) but car runs great

engine 1995 f22b1 sohc vtec

just installed a kit last week and finally got the piping done friday. seems like the bov is not openeing. it is a greddy rs bov. i have it at the softest setting.

between shifts all i hear is the wastegate. the reason i believe its the wastegate is when i rev it manually with the hood open it makes the same sound when shifting.

i have checked and shortened all vacuum sources in order to eliminate that. cleaning the bov is next?? it has sat for a while.

btw: im only running a 6lb spring and no boost controller.

any ideas? questions?

thanks guys
Old 03-02-2008, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Turbo Accord: BOV not opening(i think) but car runs great (hb_guy)

Take it off and try to press it open with your fingers. Is it an authentic RS or a generic one?

If it's generic, it will have two springs, remove the heavier one and put it back together. Alot of times they are not even assembled correctly to begin with.
Old 03-02-2008, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its the wastegate making noise?

do you even know how a wastegate operates?

wastegates vent exhaust pre turbo in order to control boost pressure.
when you let off the gas, the wastegate is not doing anything, its closed.

the only time the wastegate will open will be full boost once the engine is making more exhaust pressure than required. when this happens the wastegate will open, really only a slight amount to regulate boost.

the wastegate will not make a noise. at full boost your exhaust sound may sound like it has increased when the wastegate opens, but thats it.

what you are likely talking about is compressor surge, and this sound is generated at the air inlet side of the turbo and is a result of compressed air being pushed back at the turbine wheel. usually has a pulsed sound.

if you wanna check your bov, take it off and push on the plunger a few times to make sure there is nothing restricting its movement.

and you also never said how many psi your turbo is making at full boost. if you are making around 6psi or less your spring is too strong.
Old 03-02-2008, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have the same problem with my Greddy RS, i found what the problem is.... the bov is junk! i tried everything, soft spring, stiff spring, both springs, and adjusted each one, it either didnt open, or wouldent hold boost, worse bov ever!

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2186218
Old 03-02-2008, 03:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo Accord: BOV not opening(i think) but car runs great (. a d a m)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by . a d a m &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Take it off and try to press it open with your fingers. Is it an authentic RS or a generic one?

If it's generic, it will have two springs, remove the heavier one and put it back together. Alot of times they are not even assembled correctly to begin with. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i am going to take it apart and see how many springs it has. and yes i can push it with my fingers.

Old 03-02-2008, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Turbo Dan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Turbo Dan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its the wastegate making noise?

do you even know how a wastegate operates?

wastegates vent exhaust pre turbo in order to control boost pressure.
when you let off the gas, the wastegate is not doing anything, its closed.

the only time the wastegate will open will be full boost once the engine is making more exhaust pressure than required. when this happens the wastegate will open, really only a slight amount to regulate boost.

the wastegate will not make a noise. at full boost your exhaust sound may sound like it has increased when the wastegate opens, but thats it.

what you are likely talking about is compressor surge, and this sound is generated at the air inlet side of the turbo and is a result of compressed air being pushed back at the turbine wheel. usually has a pulsed sound.

if you wanna check your bov, take it off and push on the plunger a few times to make sure there is nothing restricting its movement.

and you also never said how many psi your turbo is making at full boost. if you are making around 6psi or less your spring is too strong.</TD></TR></TABLE>

so if my spring is too strong then removing one would make it work? or should i hook up my boost controller and up the levels??

and is compressor surge bad at 5-6psi of boost?
Old 03-02-2008, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo Accord: BOV not opening(i think) but car runs great (. a d a m)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by . a d a m &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Take it off and try to press it open with your fingers. Is it an authentic RS or a generic one?

If it's generic, it will have two springs, remove the heavier one and put it back together. Alot of times they are not even assembled correctly to begin with. </TD></TR></TABLE>

the real one has 2 springs also, unless atpturbo.com and optionsauto.com sell generic ones...
Old 03-02-2008, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo Accord: BOV not opening(i think) but car runs great (blinx9900)

well one of the allen heads is stripped so i cant take it apart. so will compressor surge hurt my motor in the short term while i get another bov????
Old 03-02-2008, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hb_guy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well one of the allen heads is stripped so i cant take it apart. so will compressor surge hurt my motor in the short term while i get another bov????</TD></TR></TABLE>

Won't hurt the motor but the turbo the turbo is not a fan of it. Some say it wont hurt turbos, I personally think it puts strain on them.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

at 5-6psi compressor surge is harmless.
depends how much you like your turbo, if you paid thousands for your turbo and wanna baby it then i would worry about it. but if you only payed a few hundred for the turbo i would say screw a bov altogether.

i run no bov at 10-11psi, ive been running no bov for a year and the turbo is over 10 years old.
not a single problem.

lots of high hp tuning companies will run without a bov also.

and i am not the person to ask how much boost you should run, you should talk to your tuner and see how much your engine can handle safely.

i bet if you ran 10+psi the bov would work just fine.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Turbo Dan)

well the bov is working right now. took out the stiffer spring this morning. only works(or is at least noticeable) at higher rpms. but my powerband seems smoother. weird.

problem is now i am smoking while in boost SOMETIMES. i have an issue with my oil pan and return bung which i am going to correct in the next week or so.

when i was installing the actual turbo i believe i didnt tighten one or two bolts down all the way. could this possibly cause it to smoke sometimes?? im going to check those right now.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hb_guy)

well just did a comp test and i got 179-176-176-178.

checked my charge pipes inside and the pipe coming off the turbo itself(on the hot side) had SLIGHT oil residue in there. nothing major. i hope when i install my new oil pan and gasket and fix my oil return line it will fix it. if not it could be the seals on my new turbo or perhaps my valve seals.

BTW i have only put like 120 miles on it since the install and my motor has 156xxx miles on it but has been very well maintained by the first owner and then me when i purchased it with exactly 100,202 miles on it.

hopefully this helps
Old 03-03-2008, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo Accord: BOV not opening(i think) but car runs great (blinx9900)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blinx9900 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

the real one has 2 springs also, unless atpturbo.com and optionsauto.com sell generic ones...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Maybe I should've worded differently, but I didn't say that it didn't. The real one is actually adjustable, the eBay one is not, short of taking it apart anyways. That was the point I was trying to make.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by . a d a m &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Maybe I should've worded differently, but I didn't say that it didn't. The real one is actually adjustable, the eBay one is not, short of taking it apart anyways. That was the point I was trying to make.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

oooooh, i see, thanks for clearing that up, i was not aware of the lack of adjustability on the fake one.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hb_guy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well just did a comp test and i got 179-176-176-178.

checked my charge pipes inside and the pipe coming off the turbo itself(on the hot side) had SLIGHT oil residue in there. nothing major. i hope when i install my new oil pan and gasket and fix my oil return line it will fix it. if not it could be the seals on my new turbo or perhaps my valve seals.

BTW i have only put like 120 miles on it since the install and my motor has 156xxx miles on it but has been very well maintained by the first owner and then me when i purchased it with exactly 100,202 miles on it.

hopefully this helps</TD></TR></TABLE>

keep us updated, check and see if it smokes on down shifts or on deceleration.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

welli installed my mbc today and put a breather on the vc cuz i just had it plugged.

when i started the car it smoked like crazy. once it got to full operating temperature it stopped. during hard accel at first it slightly smoked but after 2-3 mins of in town driving it went away. not completely but you couldnt see it if it was smoking.

my center section on my turbo is still smoking whenever i shut the car off and pop the hood. turbo seals, valve seals or rings??

BTW: i never had a smoking prob b4 the turbo. started almost right after the turbo install and im only running 6psi. Also, the turbo does act funny at full throttle. i usually have to partial throttle it all the way to redline. HMM.....
Old 03-04-2008, 03:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i would assume that your oil seals on the turbo are shot. but i would take it to someone that can look at it and tell you for sure.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hb_guy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">welli installed my mbc today and put a breather on the vc cuz i just had it plugged.

when i started the car it smoked like crazy. once it got to full operating temperature it stopped. during hard accel at first it slightly smoked but after 2-3 mins of in town driving it went away. not completely but you couldnt see it if it was smoking.

my center section on my turbo is still smoking whenever i shut the car off and pop the hood. turbo seals, valve seals or rings??

BTW: i never had a smoking prob b4 the turbo. started almost right after the turbo install and im only running 6psi. Also, the turbo does act funny at full throttle. i usually have to partial throttle it all the way to redline. HMM.....</TD></TR></TABLE>

i have a feeling your turbo is going to stop holding higher boost levels soon, but if you only run it at 6 psi it should be fine, if you ever turn the boost up you'll see...
Old 03-04-2008, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well guys thanks for the replies as you have all been helpful

however i just started a new write-up since i found what i believe my prob is now.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2241821

sorry for the whoring but i am trying to be as thorough as possible b4 taking drastic measures and spending more hard earned cash!!
Old 03-04-2008, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ne1??
Old 03-04-2008, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what more is there to say? your questions were answered and you found the problem.....
Old 03-04-2008, 09:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Marshmallowman)

no not just yet