Notices

turbo = overheating = wtf?!!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 08:07 PM
mike93eh

Default turbo = overheating = wtf?!!?

okay ever since i installed my turbo kit about a month ago, my car is getting pretty hot. my temp gauge reads almost 230 degrees going down the highway. at idle its a little higher than that.

the stock temp gauge just stays where its at. i know it isnt accurate at all. otheres have said that 230 is fine. but it is not. you know why? because my coolant overflow tank is well....overflowing litterally. i have coolant all over the ground. and i also pour that **** back into the radiator everyday. it just started doing this when i went turbo.

heres the deal though. i have a new thermostat, dual core radiator, fan switch, radiator cap.

is it just because of the extra heat generated by the turbo? does everyone have this problem? and how could i go about cooling this sucker down?

thanks for any help!
Old 04-03-2005, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: turbo = overheating = wtf?!!? (mike93eh)

congratulations you are a true d series turbo member now. You have blown your first headgasket...kinda like popping your cherry
Old 04-03-2005, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: turbo = overheating = wtf?!!? (SOHC_MShue)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC_MShue &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">congratulations you are a true d series turbo member now. You have blown your first headgasket...kinda like popping your cherry </TD></TR></TABLE>
HAHAHAHAHHAHAH ... sooo good
Old 04-03-2005, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC_MShue &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">congratulations you are a true d series turbo member now. You have blown your first headgasket...kinda like popping your cherry </TD></TR></TABLE>

Sounds almost fun to try and pop someday! But naww.... Id hate to run across this B series all the way..wo0t!

Goodluck on the fix..
Old 04-03-2005, 08:19 PM
mike93eh

headgasket has recently been changed. i dont see how it could be the headgasket causing it to overheat causing the overflow tank to overflow??

explain why you think its the headgasket. i used a felpro gasket, what do you all reccomend?
Old 04-03-2005, 08:21 PM

what motor is this? it does sound like a small blown headgasket cause you mention abou the overflow coolant tank and having to pour that back into teh radiator everyday
Old 04-03-2005, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i am 100% positive its your headgasket...the same thing has happened to me 4 times. Finally i got fed up and installed a new block...hopefully that will fix it. An overflowing overflow tank is a very good sign of your headgasket beeing blown. Air is leaking into your cooling system and pushing coolant out your overflow. Get some arp headstuds and pray that it doesn't blow again. Also get your head resurfaced.
Old 04-03-2005, 08:22 PM
mike93eh

Default Re: turbo = overheating = wtf?!!? (oxSLEEPERxo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by oxSLEEPERxo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what motor is this? it does sound like a small blown headgasket cause you mention abou the overflow coolant tank and having to pour that back into teh radiator everyday</TD></TR></TABLE>

d15b7. i dont understand how the headgasket could cause my problem though?
Old 04-03-2005, 08:24 PM
mike93eh

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC_MShue &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i am 100% positive its your headgasket...the same thing has happened to me 4 times. Finally i got fed up and installed a new block...hopefully that will fix it. An overflowing overflow tank is a very good sign of your headgasket beeing blown. Air is leaking into your cooling system and pushing coolant out your overflow. Get some arp headstuds and pray that it doesn't blow again. Also get your head resurfaced. </TD></TR></TABLE>

okay i see now. so if i do a compression test. one or more cylinders would be low?
damnit this pisses me off if it is the headgasket. its only a month old.
Old 04-03-2005, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

a compression test won't necessarily show it. If its a small leak then you probably won't see it on the test.
Old 04-03-2005, 08:28 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC_MShue &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">a compression test won't necessarily show it. If its a small leak then you probably won't see it on the test. </TD></TR></TABLE>

true.

It's most likely the HG, but if not then try to bleed the air out of the cooling system. Search if you don't know how. I would do this first since it's easy and free...just a thought
Old 04-03-2005, 08:34 PM
mike93eh

Default Re: turbo = overheating = wtf?!!? (adseguy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by adseguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

true.

It's most likely the HG, but if not then try to bleed the air out of the cooling system. Search if you don't know how. I would do this first since it's easy and free...just a thought</TD></TR></TABLE>

ahhhhhh SNAP! this reminds me!

this actually may of started doing this once i installed my temp sensor into the bleeder screw hole a couple weeks ago. i took the water outlet and upper hose off and bunch of coolant came out. i didnt bleed it when i was done because i didnt know how i would now. i got this idea from mistabone. and well since he did it i thought it is no problem. since i drilled and tapped that hole, how would i go about bleeding it now? so now this could be the cause instead of the headgasket? or maybe the rad. cap isnt maintaining proper pressure?

i just dont want to have to rip this thign all apart again
Old 04-03-2005, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

take the radiator cap off and let the car run until the fan comes on a couple of times.
Old 04-03-2005, 08:42 PM
mike93eh

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC_MShue &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">take the radiator cap off and let the car run until the fan comes on a couple of times. </TD></TR></TABLE>

cool ill try that. everyone please pray for me that i dont have to rip this thing apart because that damn greddy manifold is not comming off in one piece or without damaging anything. (******* holes were off, forced it on )

god i just cant believe it would be the headgasket already!
Old 04-03-2005, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

good luck
Old 04-03-2005, 08:48 PM

as much as i hate to bust your bubble
its your HG dude
i thought it was air in my system as well
bleeded it like 5 times
still the same thing

pulled the head, new oem HG, arp's copper spray, and some rtv cured my problem

as sohc_Mshue said, welcome to the boosted d series family
Old 04-03-2005, 09:25 PM
mike93eh

Default Re: (BlackCRX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlackCRX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">as much as i hate to bust your bubble
its your HG dude
i thought it was air in my system as well
bleeded it like 5 times
still the same thing

pulled the head, new oem HG, arp's copper spray, and some rtv cured my problem

as sohc_Mshue said, welcome to the boosted d series family</TD></TR></TABLE>

arrrg, i still have hope!!

does anyone know what the temp should be going down the highway or idling??
Old 04-03-2005, 09:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mike93eh)

last time i checked mine it didn't get any higher than 210 at idle. This was right around the time that my last headgasket started leaking though so it could be lower than that.
Old 04-04-2005, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't understand? Try injecting air that's 1200 degrees into water. Despite the fact that water can take in and hold lots of energy, the deltaT is just so great that even a tiny leak will superheat your water. If you look at a picture of a block w/o the head on it, you'll see that the sleeves have water running right next to them, and if that gasket blows at almost any section around the cylinders, it will push into the water passages.

The fact is that some blocks are just bad. My guess is your block is fairly old & somewhat high milage? Heads and blocks can warp, as well as head bolts can weaken and lift, compromising the gasket seal. If it's not a busted gasket, then you might want to consider getting the block and head milled flat and/or getting APR head studs.

As for a comp test, its putting regular air pressure on the gasket. There is a HELLUVA lot more force exerted on that seal when its running and exploding gasoline, and even more when it's running boost. If it is a tiny leak, which is all that's needed to be considered 'blown', it probably won't catch it. Leak test are more for big leaks (look up Chevy 400ci V8's with blown gaskets, then you'll see) and bad rings that are always present. A lifting head only does so at high boost or upper rpm's

Try to stay out of boost and high rpm's for a day. Don't lug it (it will exasperate the prob), just don't rev it too much. That will just show if its an ever-present problem, or one caused by extreme pressure to the head gasket.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (HiProfile)

usually it will start out as a small leak, but the way his sounds i bet it has gotten big enough to the point that he is overheating without even boosting. Probably after a few minutes of driving.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:37 AM
Trial User

Default Re: (SOHC_MShue)

when you have your head off (and you will) have a machine shop check your head for warps or any kinda imperfection. I had a shop cut mine for like $40. I figure if it saves me one HG then i'm money ahead
Old 04-04-2005, 03:41 PM

if the head is not warped then dont ge tit milled
it will bump compression and the y8 compression is pretty high for a d series as it is
Old 04-04-2005, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My Y7 does the exact thing yours does. And my headgasket is FINE! If you got any air into your cooling system that wil screw everything up. After I bled my system it has never done it since. Maybe your gasket is blown but think positive. I thought mine was at first to. Good Luck
Old 04-04-2005, 04:33 PM
mike93eh

HAHAHA!!

ALL of you are WRONG! hehe you all were so 100% sure it was a headgasket. i knew it wasnt. thank god!

well it turns out my radiator cap was getting stuck open. put a new one on and bled the coolant (big bubbles came out) and now my coolant resevoir doesnt go past max. i guess that means im not even overheating like i thought. i started to think i wasnt even overheating because ive overheated many times to the point where coolant is spewing out of the coolant resevoir and my factory temp gauge would actually move. you see all this time though my factory gauge hasnt moved at all, it stays right below halfway. and if it was overheating to the point that coolant is spewing out then it would of moved at least a little if not all the way up.

so now i still would like to know the exact operating temp on a d15 or d16. obviously im fine where im at but still would like to know. iver searched and asked before and no one was 100% sure. kinda wierd.
Old 04-04-2005, 04:53 PM

thats a good thing to hear that is wasn't a blown headgasket

Quick Reply: turbo = overheating = wtf?!!?