Notices

Tuning update (Increased HP/TQ by accident)

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2001, 01:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuning update (Increased HP/TQ by accident)

Got down to the dyno yesterday and it was interesting to say the least. I removed the Endyn pulley and put the 6psi pulley back on. A couple of weeks ago I got on the dyno b/c the car was feeling really weak and running like absolute poo poo.
The dyno confirmed why I thought the car was in poor health. Numbers were like 118 hp and 126tq. More tq than hp in a Honda? Weird, I know. The fuel looked good but for some reason something wasn't right.
I knew it had to be related to the pulley and possibly the heat generated by my diminutive blower (M45)with the larger pulley.

Needless to say I yanked it and put the 6psi pulley back on and it instantly felt more powerful, even though it had to be running richer than crap (fuel was set up for 9psi). The POS autometer guage usually says I'm in the leaner side of stoich though. Completely innacurate according to the dyno's wideband.

To make a long story short I get to the dyno yester day. Baseline pull was 140hp and 126tq. Not great but better than my last numbers at 9psi. After 4500rpm the a/f ratio was richer than 10:1 and therefore unreadable. I started by leaning out the AFC by 10% across the board. Made another pull and essentially there were no changes to the mixture.

I then go to the Cartech and lower the static pressure from 62 down to 56. Here is where it gets interesting. I'm driving the car on the dyno and paying attention to my fp just to see how lowering the static may have affected peak pressures, if at all. Peak pressure was only around 58 or so for the whole run. Normally I would shut down b/c the a/f ratio should be lean as hell with only 58psi of fuel pressure right? I blew it off b/c the car sounded really strong.

I told Bryan to keep an eye on the underhood guage to make sure what it read b/c I thought the electric one in the car was sticking. Made another run and the same thing occured only it made 165hp and 137tq as opposed to 140 and 126!

Upon further inspection I discovered I'm a dumbass (well, I already knew that). After I removed the vacuum line from the cartech to adjust the static pressure I never reattached it.

While up to around 4500 it was 14:1 after that and up to 7000 it was 12.3:1 to around 11.7:1. I just made some adjustments from there and called it good. Leaned it out up top and richened it up around the bottom (VAFC). I must say it's nice to have 25hp back. It really makes a difference. Tq is nearly table top flat from 2500 up to 7000

So, the moral of the story? Well, there are a couple. Dyno's kick *** for one, and as long as you have larger injectors (In my case 320's)and some sort of fuel computer (VAFC in my case)you may be able to get rid of the boost dependent FMU which in many cases is a major source of headache. My f/p never goes above static b/c it isn't seeing boost So peak pressures are the same as static 56-58 or so.

Please give me some feedback if you have any. I need to have someone scan in the dyno plot and I'll post it. Thanks of course to Donny (Import Tuner and Bryan) of ISA.

Thanks,

Zach

Old 09-23-2001, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tuning update (fastfour)

ttt
Old 09-23-2001, 07:03 PM
New User

out of curiosity, what is your 1/8 mile time?
Old 09-23-2001, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tuning update (Pb_Foot)

I think it was a 9.5 but I can't find my timeslip now. Best quarter at 6 was 14.7 at 98.xx. That trap speed should be with a low 14 but I have very little traction with street tires.

Zach
Old 09-23-2001, 07:21 PM
New User

sweet. I'm saving now for a turbo setup on my car. A friend of mine is real big into turbo's (he's got two rx7's... one twin turbo 2 rotor, one single turbo 3 rotor, a 3000GT VR4... don't need to say much else, a turbo prelude, and working currently on a turbo miata). Well he's set up the whole thing for me and quoted me $3600 for all the parts. I figure we'll put it together ourselves for free and buy some dyno time. I'm estimating 265 HP and 190 lbs of Torque a the wheels when I'm done, but on my limited part time/part school income, it won't be till summer time. Good luck with your hybrid