Notices

Tuning friend's ls turbo...problems with breaking up in higher rpms

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 03:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tuning friend's ls turbo...problems with breaking up in higher rpms

Well I finally got time to lay down a 20psi tune on my friend's built ls turbo hatch. The problem is that it wants to break up in higher rpms. I tried adding and pulling fuel and timing, but it made no difference at all. Right now the afr's are in the low to mid 11's on the conservative side and the timing is retarded about .7*/pound of boost until we can get it to a dyno. Its tuned using uberdata with a gm 3bar map sensor and 440cc injectors running on 80psi of fuel pressure at idle. Yes i know the injectors are small...i told him to get larger ones, but he wanted to up the fuel pressure a bunch and try seeing how much we can get out of them. Right now it looks like the duty cycle is definantely being pushed, but it works.

He has been running some ngk v-power 7 series plugs on the car. We tried gapping them between .020-.030. It would break up no matter what the gap. Then we tried 2 other sets of plugs and it still broke up...although these plugs were somewhat on the hot side(6 series ngk and some denso iridiums). I would have tried some 8 series, but it was late at night and we couldn't get to the store. I am definantely leaning towards this being an ignition related problem. BTW its an oem ignition, but the dizzy has been taken apart before by the guy he got it from so who knows what might be wrong with it. Aside from the breaking up in high rpms the car runs awesome.

When we tuned it on 10psi before the car would do this, but gapping the plugs lower(he had them way too big) fixed the problem. Also one time when he was at the track the car started doing this randomly, but stopped the next day. He thinks it was from the race gas he put in there(don't ask me why...i tuned it on pump), but i still suspect it may have been something else.

On another note it doesn't break up when first driving the car. Once you have made a few pulls and things get hot it will start to break up. Thanx for any input you can give guys.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Tuning friend's ls turbo...problems with breaking up in higher rpms (SOHC_MShue)

ive had the same problem twice. first throwing a set of 9's in fixed the problem. the second time it was the ignitor
Old 09-14-2005, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tuning friend's ls turbo...problems with breaking up in higher rpms (Full-Race Henry)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Full-Race Henry &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ive had the same problem twice. first throwing a set of 9's in fixed the problem. the second time it was the ignitor</TD></TR></TABLE>
haha I don't think his setup needs 9's yet. We are going to give some 8's a try though. I am leaning towards something going bad in the distributor though...probably something like the ignitor like you said.
Old 09-14-2005, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tuning friend's ls turbo...problems with breaking up in higher rpms (SOHC_MShue)

bump
Old 09-14-2005, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC_MShue &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
On another note it doesn't break up when first driving the car. Once you have made a few pulls and things get hot it will start to break up. Thanx for any input you can give guys. </TD></TR></TABLE>

sounds like the coil or as FR Henry said possibly the ignitor.
Old 09-14-2005, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tuning friend's ls turbo...problems with breaking up in higher rpms (M.A.R.C.)

he said he couldn't get ahold of his friend to try the other distributor out today. Hopefully tomorrow.
Old 09-15-2005, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hey, this is my car we are talking about. I'm on my way to try out another Dizzy. I'll keep you posted on how it goes. Also I'm going to fill up on some Amaaco 93 just to make sure its got a nice tank of gas Ill reply soon.
Old 09-15-2005, 01:36 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

stock honda ignition systems hate high cylinder pressure/rpm's
Old 09-15-2005, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tuning friend's ls turbo...problems with breaking up in higher rpms (wantboost)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wantboost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">stock honda ignition systems hate high cylinder pressure/rpm's</TD></TR></TABLE>
sometimes it was doing it at only 5psi.
Old 09-15-2005, 03:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well guys I'm back so here is the news. I replaced my dizzy with my friends cuz he also has an LS boosted hatchy. Well that didnt help... so i returned to his house. He had just baught brandnew NGK plug wires for his car so i asked if i Could borrow them. Once again me and him go out for a test drive... with the boost gauge reading 18-19psi... Problem solved I did a couple 2-4th , 3rd gear pulls and a few 1-3rd. Just maken sure it wasnt a "fluke" Didnt skip a beat. I put the old set back on and the situation came back. Gotta love troubleshooting. I'm glad i had a friend w/ an set of stuff to try out for free

Now... Matt you ready for the track friday
Old 09-15-2005, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: Tuning friend's ls turbo...problems with breaking up in higher rpms (JDM S1eeper)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM S1eeper &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well guys I'm back so here is the news. I replaced my dizzy with my friends cuz he also has an LS boosted hatchy. Well that didnt help... so i returned to his house. He had just baught brandnew NGK plug wires for his car so i asked if i Could borrow them. Once again me and him go out for a test drive... with the boost gauge reading 18-19psi... Problem solved I did a couple 2-4th , 3rd gear pulls and a few 1-3rd. Just maken sure it wasnt a "fluke" Didnt skip a beat. I put the old set back on and the situation came back. Gotta love troubleshooting. I'm glad i had a friend w/ an set of stuff to try out for free

Now... Matt you ready for the track friday </TD></TR></TABLE>

awesome to hear its all cleared up. having people to borrow parts to troubleshoot with is a life saver- or bank account saver, however you wanna look at it
Old 09-15-2005, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Matt was telling me about this.

Glad to hear the problems solved.
Old 09-15-2005, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tuning friend's ls turbo...problems with breaking up in higher rpms (JDM S1eeper)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM S1eeper &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well guys I'm back so here is the news. I replaced my dizzy with my friends cuz he also has an LS boosted hatchy. Well that didnt help... so i returned to his house. He had just baught brandnew NGK plug wires for his car so i asked if i Could borrow them. Once again me and him go out for a test drive... with the boost gauge reading 18-19psi... Problem solved I did a couple 2-4th , 3rd gear pulls and a few 1-3rd. Just maken sure it wasnt a "fluke" Didnt skip a beat. I put the old set back on and the situation came back. Gotta love troubleshooting. I'm glad i had a friend w/ an set of stuff to try out for free

Now... Matt you ready for the track friday </TD></TR></TABLE>
11's on street tires?

Who knows what on slicks
Old 09-15-2005, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tuning friend's ls turbo...problems with breaking up in higher rpms (blackeg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blackeg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

awesome to hear its all cleared up. having people to borrow parts to troubleshoot with is a life saver- or bank account saver, however you wanna look at it </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah tell me about it! Ive dumped enough into the car! haha... I've been threw 2 oil pumps in 2 weeks & a water pump.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dr. D-Series &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Matt was telling me about this.

Glad to hear the problems solved.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah me too I hope these pugs will keep my problems a thing of the past. wish me luck
Old 09-15-2005, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC_MShue &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
11's on street tires?

Who knows what on slicks </TD></TR></TABLE>

would go fast enough to make chris **** him self that my street car LS runs as fast or faster than his 2.0 GSR race car

hmm... first street tire 11?
Hmm... first 10 on slicks?
Old 09-15-2005, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lol you better drive your *** off for 10's
Old 09-15-2005, 11:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im glad you guys got the problem fixed. Spark plugs are usually the first thing to check.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:33 PM
TurboJesse

Default Re: Tuning friend's ls turbo...problems with breaking up in higher rpms (Full-Race Henry)

Glad to hear you got it fixed...I ran into the same problem tonite tuning a 11:5:1 itr motor running 10psi, we swapped in some new NGK plug wires and did the trick
Old 09-16-2005, 03:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tuning friend's ls turbo...problems with breaking up in higher rpms (PhoenixTurboJesse)

Old 09-16-2005, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanx for the help guys
Old 09-16-2005, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

80 psi of fuel presure? Jesus lord...

What wires were on it?
Old 09-16-2005, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tuning friend's ls turbo...problems with breaking up in higher rpms (ladysman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ladysman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">80 psi of fuel presure? Jesus lord...

What wires were on it?</TD></TR></TABLE>
yup. It works fine so i guess its no big deal...the duty cycle is real high though

It was on ngk blues. They looked to be in good shape as far as i could tell, but he got them with the ls motor so who knows how many miles were on them.
Old 09-16-2005, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yup. It works fine so i guess its no big deal...the duty cycle is real high though </TD></TR></TABLE>

I would think at 20psi from a decent turbo, you're looking at what.. 350-370whp from an LS (assuming stock head, cams etc..). That's asking alot of those 440's!
Old 09-16-2005, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tuning friend's ls turbo...problems with breaking up in higher rpms (VTC @ Lujan)

Yea no ****. The turbo is rather large too. .70ar. It made 242whp with a fmu and 8psi so hopefully its making quite a bit more now. I told him to get some 750's or something, but he is a penny pincher and just wanted to up the fuel pressure
Old 09-16-2005, 10:03 AM

Wow my 450 were maxed out at 11psi on my .60AR turbo with 50 psi on lsvtec, I think your puching it a bit. Change injectors before it blow.

Quick Reply: Tuning friend's ls turbo...problems with breaking up in higher rpms