Notices

tuning BPV to match OE valve tension

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 06:05 PM
MiG-21 superfan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default tuning BPV to match OE valve tension

this isn't a honda, obviously, but i'm curious if anyone has experience with setting things like this!

i was thinking at the most basic level i could rig up a jig, with tapped holes for the flange, and in the middle of the jig have a quick connect for my compressor. fasten the valve to the flange, and then i could then regulate pressure until i see the thing actuate.

i could then take the aftermarket one and do the same thing and see where it moves. then, i can tune with shims/ springs/ screw, depending on the brand of aftermarket valve, until it matches the stocker.

the question comes up why would one replace a stock valve if it works ok.

well, the reason is stockers 1. can leak, and 2. atleast i'd have a baseline to tune an aftermarket valve so i could experiment from there by adding tension to cope with higher than stock boost levels, boost levels that would overcome the tension in the stock valve.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:07 PM
MiG-21 superfan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: tuning BPV to match OE valve tension

Originally Posted by builthatch
this isn't a honda, obviously, but i'm curious if anyone has experience with setting things like this!

i was thinking at the most basic level i could rig up a jig, with tapped holes for the flange, and in the middle of the jig have a quick connect for my compressor. fasten the valve to the flange, and then i could then regulate pressure until i see the thing actuate.

i could then take the aftermarket one and do the same thing and see where it moves. then, i can tune with shims/ springs/ screw, depending on the brand of aftermarket valve, until it matches the stocker.

the question comes up why would one replace a stock valve if it works ok.

well, the reason is stockers 1. can leak, and 2. atleast i'd have a baseline to tune an aftermarket valve so i could experiment from there by adding tension to cope with higher than stock boost levels, boost levels that would overcome the tension in the stock valve.
NM, i can use a hand vac pump and note what's required to move each....