Notices

trying to turbo my hx???

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 02:33 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trying to turbo my hx???

ok guys im new on here... i have a 97 hx civic and i wanna turbo it and put an ex or si tranny on it i was wondering if any one on here has done this or knows some one who has and if its even possible to turbo a hot burn vtec...any help, insite, links, Q, A, would be greatly appreciated TY...
Old 10-19-2011, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: trying to turbo my hx???

look in the turbo section or go to dseries.org
Old 10-19-2011, 04:29 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I would not waste my time.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Sell the Hx get an ex you're wasting your time
Old 10-19-2011, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have read that swapping the HX CVT out is fairly involved. The car probably has good resale value especially since gas is expensive. You could probably trade for a EX a lower level with money on top. You'll replace the engine, trans, wiring, mounts, probably suspension and brakes and a bunch of other stuff. It would be kind of a shame and a lot of wasted effort dealing with converting the HX unless you're really attached to it and cannot find anything else decent.

If you need to get to work or school every day, forget turboing your DD. You're going to be out of commission at least a few days if you're lucky. I ran into every problem possible and was without a car for about two months. Fascist managers at Menards fired me because I "didn't have reliable transportation" while riding my bike to work after the original motor died and had to swap motors, so I was on a super tight budget getting the car completed and running, and still owe my dad like $900 for school now, still owe a friend $200 for some rims, and the girlfriend deserves a nice date night for being so helpful and understanding through everything.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

all he needs to do is change to a 5sp ex transmission (98-00 trannys have steel shift forks and are a little tougher) change to a y8 or z6 head and chip and tune on a chipped ecu. mine was a dx auto ive swapped my motor out a few times and did a 5spd swap it wasn't hard to do.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by apexi_rsx
all he needs to do is change to a 5sp ex transmission (98-00 trannys have steel shift forks and are a little tougher) change to a y8 or z6 head and chip and tune on a chipped ecu. mine was a dx auto ive swapped my motor out a few times and did a 5spd swap it wasn't hard to do.
yes thats all he needs but why ruin an HX he could sell that for 2 times more for what a DX is worth due to HX having the fuel efficient motor
Old 10-20-2011, 10:33 AM
Trial User

ok guys i realize its proly more of a pain in the *** than its worth but do u think slaping in an si tranny would make it any faster i DD drive the **** out of it and its just too damn slow i have a few bolt ons like intake, header, full exhaust, clutch, flywheel, motor mounts, wires, etc... now that i c how much work would go into turboin it proly not goin that route anymore but??? how much do u think i can get out of it going all motor???
Old 10-20-2011, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

even if you spend 10k on performance mods, it's unlikely you will gain the power you want. your best bet would to be to return the car to stock, sell it, buy an EX and install any compatible performance parts.

if you don't want to sell it, a D16Y8 swap plus a turbo kit would probably be your best bet. you can achieve much more power at a fraction of the cost of trying to do an NA build.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NotAJDMFanBoy
I have read that swapping the HX CVT out is fairly involved. The car probably has good resale value especially since gas is expensive. You could probably trade for a EX a lower level with money on top. You'll replace the engine, trans, wiring, mounts, probably suspension and brakes and a bunch of other stuff. It would be kind of a shame and a lot of wasted effort dealing with converting the HX unless you're really attached to it and cannot find anything else decent.

If you need to get to work or school every day, forget turboing your DD. You're going to be out of commission at least a few days if you're lucky. I ran into every problem possible and was without a car for about two months. Fascist managers at Menards fired me because I "didn't have reliable transportation" while riding my bike to work after the original motor died and had to swap motors, so I was on a super tight budget getting the car completed and running, and still owe my dad like $900 for school now, still owe a friend $200 for some rims, and the girlfriend deserves a nice date night for being so helpful and understanding through everything.
Not all civic hx's have the cvt... in fact most of the ones that I've seen are 5 speeds, both my 97 & 99 are 5 speeds, so imo that post was fairly useless.

With that said you can swap your tranny out for one from an ex civic w/ d16y8, also you can use any from 92-95 that had the d16z6, civic ex/si/del sol...
Old 10-20-2011, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

all that think the HX is a waste on performance should do some reading. The HX has a bigger power curve when vtec hit than the EX. So swapping the tranny out with a s40 B000 ex tranny (HX 5 speed is s40 B000 too so watch that) will put his HX in a good standing with the EX off the line. yes it does not kick in til 3000rpm unlike ex at 2600rpm but he would notice a big difference in performance with the closer ratio tranny.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:50 PM
The Grumpiest

Originally Posted by Project Dad
all that think the HX is a waste on performance should do some reading. The HX has a bigger power curve when vtec hit than the EX. So swapping the tranny out with a s40 B000 ex tranny (HX 5 speed is s40 B000 too so watch that) will put his HX in a good standing with the EX off the line. yes it does not kick in til 3000rpm unlike ex at 2600rpm but he would notice a big difference in performance with the closer ratio tranny.
Then I wonder why no one is seeking out the HX to turbo?
Old 10-20-2011, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Then I wonder why no one is seeking out the HX to turbo?
why are alot of people into Hondas and swapping motors? Cause others talk about it everyday and get new enthusiasts into all this. So it only takes a few people saying the HX vtec-e is worthless. After that it just spreads like wildfire.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My .02: Loving my 98 HX 5 speed. Other than the "Power Adder" air intake, installed by a previous owner, (that I would gladly swap out for the factory air box) it is stock. Starts right up and gives me 38+ MPG in city driving. That's what my attraction is to it. Your reaction may vary, contents may settle in shipping.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:21 PM
Trial User

all good points im deff going to look in the j yard this weekend for an ex trany and try and do the swap befor monday and ill post pics and coments on how it performs... a good friend of mine has a 96 4door with a y8 and ex trany with the same bolt ons i have i plan on running him and c-ing how it does... right now he gets me by like a car length...

Last edited by supa-shocka97; 10-20-2011 at 09:43 PM.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:36 AM
The Grumpiest

Originally Posted by Project Dad
why are alot of people into Hondas and swapping motors? Cause others talk about it everyday and get new enthusiasts into all this. So it only takes a few people saying the HX vtec-e is worthless. After that it just spreads like wildfire.
I re-read this and don't see where anyone said the HX was worthless.
Can you boost an HX? Sure. Is it worth the time and resources to do it? I think not but you may think otherwise.

Maybe you can post a link to a boosted HX build to show the OP how it is beneficial? I would like to see how they worked out the issues you're sure to have with the lean burn VTEC-e operation.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

http://hondamarketplace.com/showthread.php?t=2699294

I remember talking to the owner of the above a few months ago. I think for a car that can achieve 55mph and make 230hp is awesome.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:48 PM
Trial User

so i scored to day i found an ex tranny at my friendly st. louis pick & pull for $60 plus $1 to get in the door... so far $61 invested going to install tomorro and c how it does...
Old 10-21-2011, 08:51 PM
Trial User

on another note i realy wanna change the fluid in the tranny(its a 5 speed by the way) befor i do the install anyone know the easyest way to do so???

Last edited by supa-shocka97; 10-21-2011 at 10:56 PM.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

drain it from the lowest plug by the differential on passengers side. and take out the speed sensor and fill there. with 10w-30 motor oil or honda MTF 2 quarts. it should only take 1.5 quarts.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jayWknight
http://hondamarketplace.com/showthread.php?t=2699294

I remember talking to the owner of the above a few months ago. I think for a car that can achieve 55mph and make 230hp is awesome.
thats definetly a 3 stage Vtec D15B not a D16y5 just saying
Old 10-23-2011, 01:39 PM
Trial User

well... i got the install done and im very happy with the performance gain from the ex tranny its like a hole diff car... it'll do for now thanx all...
Old 10-24-2011, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
I re-read this and don't see where anyone said the HX was worthless.
Can you boost an HX? Sure. Is it worth the time and resources to do it? I think not but you may think otherwise.

Maybe you can post a link to a boosted HX build to show the OP how it is beneficial? I would like to see how they worked out the issues you're sure to have with the lean burn VTEC-e operation.
No one here said it was worthless, just that he would be wasting his time with th HX. I just see alot of posts around the web where people bash the HX only because it was designed to be fuel efficent

Now I agree with you on boosting, and I believe that would just be a difficult task to get it to still run with a vtec-e concept. There are plenty of y7's and y8's out there that would be much easier to boost given that most if not all the information needed is found posted online with very little searching.

I would like to see how a y5 head performs in a stock y8 setup, just for comparison of the head differences in respect of "power".
Old 10-24-2011, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So, where do see the most improvement for you - in terms of rowing thru the gears on the street?
Old 10-24-2011, 08:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by supa-shocka97
well... i got the install done and im very happy with the performance gain from the ex tranny its like a hole diff car... it'll do for now thanx all...
Haha I love this! I'm glad you're happy with the trans swap. Its little things like that that make your driving experience that much better. You don't need a turbo hanging off your head to make driving your car enjoyable. Keep toying with the hx motor can't beat good gas mileage these days. If you do still want to boost take some time plan it out and have a healthy motor with more potential and sell the y5. Someone will put it to good use.

Quick Reply: trying to turbo my hx???