Notices

Trying to decide what to do after the crash...I know I can't go without turbo.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2003, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to decide what to do after the crash...I know I can't go without turbo.

Well, ya know the car got crashed and will most likely be totalled. I'm thinking about selling all the go fast goodies before the adjuster looks at the car (and dropping a stock junker motor in). I can always buy the car back and re-do it, but...

I was thinking about picking up either an Integra which would be a no-brainer, but I really dig the 95-98 Nissan 240SX.

Anybody know much about these? I've been looking for info on them all over the web, and so far the performance even when turbocharged is a little depressing. a 2.4 liter motor with turbo putting out less than 300 whp is sad, especially considering the extra weight over a Honda...
Old 04-17-2003, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Trying to decide what to do after the crash...I know I can't go without turbo. (Hatchblack)

When i took a trip down to florida over winter break there was swarms of the s13 and s14 chassis nissans down there. A hand full of them swapped over the sr20det, but most of them had built k24's in them still with aftermarket turbo stuff. There was one particular s14 that was down there that claimed 10's on drag radials with a built k24 bottom end, I heard 450whp whispered between the crowds of people around the car. Nissans are defientely something I want to get into. I know that the s13 and s14 swaps are what you are going to be looking for if you are going to do a silvia swap. The s13 has lower port angles, the s14 has higher port angles but a variable valve timing. The turbo is also larger on the s14. I would build the k24, since the weight difference isnt that much greater and you'll get .4 liters of displacement.
Old 04-17-2003, 10:13 AM

Default Re: Trying to decide what to do after the crash...I know I can't go without turbo. (boosted hybrid)

Damn, I did not think it was going to be totalled!!! Those 240's are sweet.....I do not know what I would do......I love my Integra! Oh well, happy choosing!
Old 04-17-2003, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Trying to decide what to do after the crash...I know I can't go without turbo. (boosted hybrid)

THat's what I was thinking, why not use that monster of a 4 cylinder with a custom turbo setup, since that's my bag baby

One thing I'm wondering about is engine management options for these. I haven't seen much about it, but I would think you can "chip" them? If so, UberTeg might have to learn Nissans with me before long

I wonder if I can make my brand new Inlinepro manifold and aluminum charge piping fit on the 2.4

BTW, honestly, no matter what car I get, 12's make me happy in the 1/4
Old 04-17-2003, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Trying to decide what to do after the crash...I know I can't go without turbo. (Hatchblack)

Yeah I would go Nissan. Im so tired of honda it kinda sickens me. Im gonna sell the car once it goes a low 11's or high 10's and go for a 180 with an S13 conversion. Probably keep the stock motor and build it up....arent they cast iron blocks??? Strong from the factory.

Plus its RWD
Old 04-17-2003, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

There is engine management for them called nisdata, similar to hondata. It uses the stock computer and allows you to exactly what hondata allows. I dont know much more about them than that. You can achive 12's on the street with drag radials if you are RWD pretty easily, that is the only redeaming quality that the nissan would have considering its weight.

Iron blocks, aluminum heads.
Old 04-17-2003, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I looked around for two months for a clean 5spd 280sx here in DFW last summer... I couldn't find one so I just got the teg.
Old 04-17-2003, 05:25 PM

man i've been itchin to build an sr20 ever since i got a sentra and switched over to hondas before i could find a swap. i'd love to boost one just b/c the stock block can handle so much. i've seen so many older nissans go into the 200k zone and still run great. good luck with whatever u decide to build man
Old 04-17-2003, 05:51 PM

buy a tig welder, and fabircate some mounts and swap a RWD sr20 into your wrecked civic BTW, I have a sr20 ecu, and a stock 240 ecu, gonna make an editor for em sooenr or later But if i do, i'm gonan convert it to speed density cuz maf blows
Old 04-17-2003, 11:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boosted hybrid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">When i took a trip down to florida over winter break there was swarms of the s13 and s14 chassis nissans down there. A hand full of them swapped over the sr20det, but most of them had built k24's in them still with aftermarket turbo stuff. There was one particular s14 that was down there that claimed 10's on drag radials with a built k24 bottom end, I heard 450whp whispered between the crowds of people around the car. </TD></TR></TABLE>

hehe u either went to tampa or miami/ft. lauderdale. I live in the miami/ft. laud area and that's the rage now... 240sx's and such. I have two friends who recently did turbo KA's... one is running a small t3 and one on a straight t4. the one with the small t3 is kinda close with both of our clutches slippin on us lol but the t4 one is my fahja. also around the area there's a bag off sr20det 240's and sentra... there's actually a s13 here with a skyline motor in it... nuts... made like mid or high 400's whp on like 16psi i think. if u check my videos site theres the dyno of it there http://www.tiora.net/~civicryda2k/?path=videos. Also tampa i hear has tons of 240's now
Old 04-17-2003, 11:23 PM
New User

Default Re: Trying to decide what to do after the crash...I know I can't go without turbo. (UberTeg)

If you don't have an extreme love of Hondas, a 240 has lots of redeeming qualities. High HP fwd is just a pain...

Maybe readup on the 240 on the 240 forums? I"m sure you'll learn alot about the little niggly drawbacks to them.
Old 04-17-2003, 11:40 PM
I am a bad person

Default Re: Trying to decide what to do after the crash...I know I can't go without turbo. (Rain_man)

I wouldnt even touch a ka motor or a sr20 if you are looking to make real power. the only way to go is rb25 or rb26. There are too many issues with the k series and the sr20's when trying to make 500+whp. I would say go rb and make 500 by accident. we do happen to have 1 sr20 from our shop that is bone stock running 11.4@12?. It runs for what it is but only makes 350-375whp on boost and spray.
Old 04-17-2003, 11:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Trying to decide what to do after the crash...I know I can't go without turbo. (MotorMatrix.com)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MotorMatrix.com &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">we do happen to have 1 sr20 from our shop that is bone stock running 11.4@12?. It runs for what it is but only makes 350-375whp on boost and spray.</TD></TR></TABLE>

is that on the stock turbo? if not what turbo?
Old 04-18-2003, 06:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Your car shouldn't be totalled, my front end was more smashed up then yours and they fixed it.. though my air bags didn't deploy...
Old 04-18-2003, 09:39 AM
EPIC TUNING

Default Re: Trying to decide what to do after the crash...I know I can't go without turbo. (FrankGSR)

id go with something SR20....theyre good for about 400-450whp on stock internals.
Old 04-18-2003, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Trying to decide what to do after the crash...I know I can't go without turbo. (CivicRyda2k)

I was in the orlando area at the time doing the whole disney thing. Besides 240's there were alot of the old school turbo z's, actually there was 5 of them in the parking lot.
Old 04-18-2003, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Trying to decide what to do after the crash...I know I can't go without turbo. (FrankGSR)

You have to consider that the blue book on my car is low to mid 5000's, and parts alone will cost over 4k if I had a shop fix it, so the total bill could easily go over 6000. The insurance bastards will damn sure total it and cut me a check for 4000 before they'll fix it, but I have to wait and see. Blue book is gonna be higher on a Teg, especially a GSR, and airbags are EXPENSIVE. Either way, I could fix it for a lot less if they don't total it, or if they do I could buy it back and still make money. I would do away with the airbags and make out like a bandit. Allstate also covers aftermarket parts, so they should pay for my intercooler and what not.

My friend has a 95 RS Teg I might get for around 4k until I can find a 240sx with a 5 speed. Found several nice ones but all autos. Even though I have to admit after driving my wife's car for so long I miss having an automatic.

Anybody wanna buy a badass LS swap w/GSR tranny?
Old 04-18-2003, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Get a 240, I will build you a manifold, and youll be able to drift circles around all of us...literally
Old 04-18-2003, 11:49 AM
New User

My friend bought his 240 auto as well... he's doing a tranny swap which he priced parts at about 800 for everything. Dirt cheap compared to 1800 for a Integra tranny swap.

A SR runs what, 2000 including tranny? That is like dirt cheap to get into boost if you ask me.
Old 04-18-2003, 11:52 AM
I am a bad person

Default Re: Trying to decide what to do after the crash...I know I can't go without turbo. (Rain_man)

I can get sr20 red top motors for 1300.00 with tranny. Now thats dirt cheap.
Old 04-18-2003, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Trying to decide what to do after the crash...I know I can't go without turbo. (MotorMatrix.com)

Nice, especially if that includes the turbo (even though it's a baby turbo).

Anybody know if the auto trannies on those cars hold up well with a good amount of power? I really am thinking about getting an auto, but only if they are strong and have stall converters available for a fairly reasonable price.
Old 04-18-2003, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

We have seen 518 whp from a K24 with very minor mods on our dyno. The only engine management what so ever was a Jim Wolfe modified ecu with matching injectors. From what i can remember all that was done to the bottom end was pistons and rods and it started with an FMax kit and just swapped in a larger turbo.
Old 04-19-2003, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Trying to decide what to do after the crash...I know I can't go without turbo. (boosted3g)

Well, what do you guys think?

Old 04-19-2003, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Mmmm.. that's the SE model right? 5 lug I see.

My friend owns an s14 bubble eye and did a SR20 swap with blitz everything. He swapped a silvia s15 front on there and it looks amazing.

He got the swap done at innovative down in lomita, california by a guy named non. I'm pretty sure you know which car he owns. Anyways, the car looks great and I'm sure you'll have fun!

Ed
Old 04-19-2003, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Trying to decide what to do after the crash...I know I can't go without turbo. (yellow blur)

Yes, SE, 5 lug and 4 wheel disc, gotta love that after the "run in" I had with that curb lol.

I'm going to have to stay on Honda Tech though, I think all the 240 guys are just a bunch of sr20det/t25 turbo sissies. I'm going to see what kind of beast I can turn this 2.4 into. First thing's first, gotta find a tranny, this one (and the handful of otehrs for sale in DFW) are ALL autos.

Quick Reply: Trying to decide what to do after the crash...I know I can't go without turbo.