Troubleshooting: TiAL Q BoV and 38mmMVS WG issues - Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Go Back  Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion > Honda and Acura Technical Forums > Forced Induction
Reload this Page >

Troubleshooting: TiAL Q BoV and 38mmMVS WG issues

Troubleshooting: TiAL Q BoV and 38mmMVS WG issues

Old 03-13-2019, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Troubleshooting: TiAL Q BoV and 38mmMVS WG issues

Hey HT. So I'm running a TiAL Q BoV and a TiAL MVS 38mm wastegate. Two questions here:

1) Is it ideal to have the blow-off valve open on idle? Apparently for MAP cars this is whereas for MAF cars the valve should be closed. I just wanted to be certain if it's okay that the valve is open on idle
2) I am seeing up to 10 pounds at full boost but I'm only suppose to push 5 pounds max based on the wg spring. My TiAL MVS wastegate has a 5 psi green spring in there. What's going on here?

Some extra context for my setup (and you can check my thread here for some pictures https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced...ter-3322947/):
  • B18C5 Stock block
  • Go-Auto XS500 Turbo kit w/ GTX 2867R turbo
  • TiAL MVS WG (5 pound spring)
  • TiAL Q BoV / HKS Racing SQV (just installed and have my TiAL sitting now)
Old 03-13-2019, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default re: Troubleshooting: TiAL Q BoV and 38mmMVS WG issues

You're in vacuum at idle, and the BoV is before the MAP sensor so having it cracked open is fine. It should close once the intake is pressurized.

Don't know what to tell you about the springs, you can find color charts for Tial springs and their corresponding "weight" online. The colors have changed over the years (I think only once or twice) so make sure you know how old your WG/springs are.
Old 03-14-2019, 03:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, the spring floating at idle is fine, and IMO ideal on a MAP car for response.

Are you getting the MAP reading from the log or from a gauge? Where is the gate vac signal coming from?

BOV random ,,,

Tial chart
http://www.tialsport.com/documents/MVSspc.png
Old 03-14-2019, 04:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

do you have the top port[s] on the wg open to atmosphere?
do you have the other two AIR ports in the bottom of the wg plugged with the caps that came with it?
If your answer is no to either of the above questions, that would be why you're running roughly double what the spring is rated for.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Chance EG View Post
You're in vacuum at idle, and the BoV is before the MAP sensor so having it cracked open is fine. It should close once the intake is pressurized.
Don't know what to tell you about the springs, you can find color charts for Tial springs and their corresponding "weight" online. The colors have changed over the years (I think only once or twice) so make sure you know how old your WG/springs are.
I have the latest spring with the green color which is rated for roughly 4.35 pounds

Originally Posted by Autoworks View Post
Are you getting the MAP reading from the log or from a gauge? Where is the gate vac signal coming from?
I am getting my vacuum source from the intake manifold read through a PLX vacuum sensor as well as data logging

Originally Posted by motoxxxman View Post
do you have the top port[s] on the wg open to atmosphere?
do you have the other two AIR ports in the bottom of the wg plugged with the caps that came with it?
If your answer is no to either of the above questions, that would be why you're running roughly double what the spring is rated for.
All air ports are plugged and I have my vacuum lines hooked up to a boost controller / vaccuum source per Hondata's instructions (Hondata s300 Programmable ECU Guide). So it sounds like I should open up the top wg airport then?

Old 03-15-2019, 04:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by porofek View Post
All air ports are plugged and I have my vacuum lines hooked up to a boost controller / vaccuum source per Hondata's instructions (Hondata s300 Programmable ECU Guide). So it sounds like I should open up the top wg airport then?
that is all correct for when using a boost controller. Keep it as is.
I assume you have the top hose to port 2 on the solenoid, and the bottom hose is T'ed into the boost source hose that is connected to port 1 on the solenoid?
What are your settings in Smanager for the boost control tab?
Where is the boost source hose connected on the engine?

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: