Go Back  Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion > Honda and Acura Technical Forums > Forced Induction
Reload this Page >

Troubleshooting:Swapped a b20 w/ b16 & changed turbos.Black smoke results

Troubleshooting:Swapped a b20 w/ b16 & changed turbos.Black smoke results

 
Old 10-12-2018, 02:21 PM
  #1  
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 196
Default Troubleshooting:Swapped a b20 w/ b16 & changed turbos.Black smoke results

Swapped my b20 with a b16 and changed turbos. I had the engine installed in another vehicle and it wasn't smoking at all. Engine has good compression. I put on a brand new turbonetics turbocharger. Oil drain looks good. Now when I start it I get excessive smoke through the exhaust. I don't think it's fuel as my AFRs are sitting in the 11 range. Turbo is brand new, I'm not sure what to think. I may pull the turbo off and see if it is still smoking, what do you guys think? I got rid of the old PCV system and have 10an fittings on my valve cover. I don't have a catch can yet they are just open now for testing would that cause an issue? Car doesn't want to idle either
MastaFlyMason is offline  
Old 10-12-2018, 02:58 PM
  #2  
Honda-Tech Member
 
IndyTeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NAPTOWN, IN, USA
Posts: 19
Default re: Troubleshooting:Swapped a b20 w/ b16 & changed turbos.Black smoke results

What color is the smoke? If the smoke is blueish, you're burning oil. If its black, youre running rich. Have you had a retune since your engine/turbo swap?
IndyTeg is offline  
Old 10-12-2018, 03:16 PM
  #3  
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 196
Default re: Troubleshooting:Swapped a b20 w/ b16 & changed turbos.Black smoke results

Originally Posted by IndyTeg View Post
What color is the smoke? If the smoke is blueish, you're burning oil. If its black, youre running rich. Have you had a retune since your engine/turbo swap?
Smoke looks black. Wouldn't my AFRs read rich if that were the case. On cold start AFR's were around 10.5-11. Still running the same tune but i'd think it would be close enough (60 trim turbonetics to 57 trim, b20 to b16)
MastaFlyMason is offline  
Old 10-12-2018, 03:27 PM
  #4  
Honda-Tech Member
 
turboLScrx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Bowling Green, ky, USA
Posts: 744
Default re: Troubleshooting:Swapped a b20 w/ b16 & changed turbos.Black smoke results

Originally Posted by MastaFlyMason View Post
Swapped my b20 with a b16 and changed turbos. I had the engine installed in another vehicle and it wasn't smoking at all. Engine has good compression. I put on a brand new turbonetics turbocharger. Oil drain looks good. Now when I start it I get excessive smoke through the exhaust. I don't think it's fuel as my AFRs are sitting in the 11 range. Turbo is brand new, I'm not sure what to think. I may pull the turbo off and see if it is still smoking, what do you guys think? I got rid of the old PCV system and have 10an fittings on my valve cover. I don't have a catch can yet they are just open now for testing would that cause an issue? Car doesn't want to idle either
i had a brand new turbo poor oil out the exhaust once, it wasnít a cheap eBay turbo either. I pulled the down pipe off and found my problem.
turboLScrx is online now  
Old 10-12-2018, 03:33 PM
  #5  
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 196
Default re: Troubleshooting:Swapped a b20 w/ b16 & changed turbos.Black smoke results

Originally Posted by turboLScrx View Post


i had a brand new turbo poor oil out the exhaust once, it wasnít a cheap eBay turbo either. I pulled the down pipe off and found my problem.
is there supposed to be a pic attached?

MastaFlyMason is offline  
Old 10-12-2018, 05:28 PM
  #6  
O.G. triple O.G.
 
NVturbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: CHARLOTTE
Posts: 4,815
Default re: Troubleshooting:Swapped a b20 w/ b16 & changed turbos.Black smoke results

Your old tune is for a B20 and now you're running a B16. Get it retuned. That's a start....
NVturbo is offline  
Old 10-13-2018, 05:15 AM
  #7  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Txdragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 2,048
Default Re: New setup smoking

10.5 - 11 AFR is usually what you'd see at WOT.. And these are on the fat side. Even cold start, these are pretty rich.
I'd certainly agree with those that say retune and see what happens next.
Txdragon is offline  
Old 10-13-2018, 12:16 PM
  #8  
Honda-Tech Member
 
turboLScrx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Bowling Green, ky, USA
Posts: 744
Default Re: Troubleshooting:Swapped a b20 w/ b16 & changed turbos.Black smoke results

Originally Posted by MastaFlyMason View Post
is there supposed to be a pic attached?

no, I need to remove a old signature from when I joined in 2001 thatís not available anymore
turboLScrx is online now  
Old 10-13-2018, 01:33 PM
  #9  
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 196
Default Re: New setup smoking

Originally Posted by Txdragon View Post
10.5 - 11 AFR is usually what you'd see at WOT.. And these are on the fat side. Even cold start, these are pretty rich.
I'd certainly agree with those that say retune and see what happens next.
I switched to a b16 basemap seems to have helped a bit. I'll throw the car the rest of the way together and get it to a tuner and see if it clears up. Thanks!
MastaFlyMason is offline  
Old 10-15-2018, 04:37 AM
  #10  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Chance EG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,651
Default Re: New setup smoking

Originally Posted by Txdragon View Post
10.5 - 11 AFR is usually what you'd see at WOT.. And these are on the fat side. Even cold start, these are pretty rich.
I'd certainly agree with those that say retune and see what happens next.
This. Also, you changed from a 2.0L to a 1.6L, and changed the turbo... Your old tune is completely invalid.
Chance EG is offline  
Old 10-16-2018, 12:38 AM
  #11  
Honda-Tech Member
 
extremeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
Posts: 456
Default Re: Troubleshooting:Swapped a b20 w/ b16 & changed turbos.Black smoke results

10.5's at idle are way too rich, the 400cc loss in displacement and airflow would cause that. Idle AFR should ideally be >12.0. OEM's usually target 14.7 on idle
extremeracer is offline  
Old 10-16-2018, 05:32 AM
  #12  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Txdragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 2,048
Default Re: Troubleshooting:Swapped a b20 w/ b16 & changed turbos.Black smoke results

Originally Posted by extremeracer View Post
10.5's at idle are way too rich, the 400cc loss in displacement and airflow would cause that. Idle AFR should ideally be >12.0. OEM's usually target 14.7 on idle
14.7 is ideal on 91-93, but somewhere in the range of 13.8:1- 15.5:1 is good at idle.
Txdragon is offline  
Old 10-16-2018, 10:30 PM
  #13  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Maryland.
Posts: 1,106
Default Re: Troubleshooting:Swapped a b20 w/ b16 & changed turbos.Black smoke results

OP, you could likely just pull somewhere in the range of 10-15% from the overall fuel trim in your old tune and get it running well enough to get it to a tuner. No boost until it's retuned though.
Aradin is offline  
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: