Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Forced Induction (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/)
-   -   Troubleshooting: Engine will not idle properly-Used a pin to lock open VTEC lobes (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/troubleshooting-engine-will-not-idle-properly-used-pin-lock-open-vtec-lobes-3336286/)

Jose Pulido 04-22-2019 09:11 AM

Troubleshooting: Engine will not idle properly-Used a pin to lock open VTEC lobes

Keep going through forums and can’t find anything

just installed Vtec lock pins on my B20v turbo set up
and having a hard time having the car stay at idle.
I have adjusted the screw on the throttle body doesn’t seem to work. I also adjusted the screw on the bottom of the throttle body to give the throttle open at 1600-1800 rpm stays for a while but starts to creep the rpm up passing 2,000

does anyone know what I need to do to keep the idle at a steady rpm with out the car dying or rpm going up by itself

any info much appreciated

TheShodan 04-22-2019 10:38 AM

re: Troubleshooting: Engine will not idle properly-Used a pin to lock open VTEC lobes

locking VTEC so that the second set of lobes is constantly activated will always cause problems. especially on drivability. you still have to access the computer to match that engagement pic the VTEC locked in.

Think about first why you're doing this, as locking it that way isn't going to gain any positive results. just change the camshafts entirely, and tune to match

D-Rob 04-22-2019 11:09 AM

re: Troubleshooting: Engine will not idle properly-Used a pin to lock open VTEC lobes

There is absolutely no benefit to lock the rockers on 99.999999% of applications.

Jose Pulido 04-22-2019 01:50 PM

It’s not my daily driver. Just wonder how to make the rpm stay around 1600-1800 rpm with out it falling off or creeping up more then that. I’m guessing have to adjust it with the ecu how it sounds like to me

Jose Pulido 04-22-2019 01:52 PM

I’ve tried adjusting the screws but no luck. I know it won’t gain any power. I’m a guy that like to try new things and learn a long the way. Ima try the ecu next see if it can adjust from there

turboLScrx 04-22-2019 02:41 PM

Only cars that lock vtec are usually full blown drag cars that never see below 3-4k rpm. Vtec is designed to make power over 5000 rpms. Anything before that is going to be horrible

AllMtrRex 04-23-2019 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by Jose Pulido (Post 51915440)
I’ve tried adjusting the screws but no luck. I know it won’t gain any power. I’m a guy that like to try new things and learn a long the way. Ima try the ecu next see if it can adjust from there

What others are trying to say is, locking vtec with a OE-style 3 lobe camshaft and OE Honda rockers has no benefit. None. The .1% Rob was referring to is the guys who are running single lobe, roller setups which are not posting on HT asking "what's the best way to idle on vtec lobe".

Eliminating vtec is not thinking outside the box. It's been done, more than it ever should've.

TheShodan 04-23-2019 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by AllMtrRex (Post 51915665)
What others are trying to say is, locking vtec with a OE-style 3 lobe camshaft and OE Honda rockers has no benefit. None. The .1% Rob was referring to is the guys who are running single lobe, roller setups which are not posting on HT asking "what's the best way to idle on vtec lobe".

Eliminating vtec is not thinking outside the box. It's been done, more than it ever should've.

I've also experience others get premature tappet wear when using physical pins to lock the VTEC cam lobes and not switching to a roller rocker setup properly. so much so, that the tappet has irreparable damage.

You're asking for a lot of trouble with NO benefits doing what you're proposing.

JRCivic1 04-23-2019 08:47 PM

Re: Troubleshooting: Engine will not idle properly-Used a pin to lock open VTEC lobes

It is ASTOUNDING to me how many people simply do not understand how VTEC works nor it's true performance gains. VTEC to most is mythical... automotive magic. smh. ;)

TheShodan 04-24-2019 10:19 AM

Re: Troubleshooting: Engine will not idle properly-Used a pin to lock open VTEC lobes

A fun way to understand what traditional VTEC is, how it works, and why you don't want to mess with it, when just using a stock camshaft, and no roller rocker conversion equipment

TODA Racing used to used to promote "VTEC-LESS" camshafts (Spec D from Erick's Racing) for their ITB setup. Power down low was not what htey expected. And this was over 17 years ago.

Prime Garage was one of the first companies to utilize this system. Listen to Tsuchiya's comments.

I understand you're trying to do something different, but you're just going to cause damage that way. This is regardless of the oil you're using.

AllMtrRex 05-01-2019 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by AllMtrRex (Post 51915665)

This came from 20 or so 1/8th mile passes, and driving back to pits only. All motor drag car. 90x95 H23, Pro 3's locked. M5 fuel. 330whp

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...3a425d7035.jpg

TheShodan 05-01-2019 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by AllMtrRex (Post 51921241)
This came from 20 or so 1/8th mile passes, and driving back to pits only. All motor drag car. 90x95 H23, Pro 3's locked. M5 fuel. 330whp

Driving back to pits only. Not daily, not experiencing daily driving abuses. Completely different scenario

AllMtrRex 05-01-2019 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by TheShodan (Post 51921502)
Driving back to pits only. Not daily, not experiencing daily driving abuses. Completely different scenario

I think you misunderstood my post. It was to show one what less than 50 miles on a locked vtec setup can do to a drag car with Pro 3's and 10k. The vtec lobe has a worn ridge from the rocker. Same thing can happen with a smaller cam, daily driven.

We are on the same page here, lol. That is, Vtec locked = No good for 3 lobe cams/oem rocker. It was tried for drag car purpose and within a short time the wear occurred. Same thing happened to Randy Owens (NAH2B) H23, locked vtec, Pro3's/OEM rockers, H series all motor record holder for many years. Excessive wear on both rocker and cams.

TheShodan 05-01-2019 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by AllMtrRex (Post 51921523)
I think you misunderstood my post. It was to show one what less than 50 miles on a locked vtec setup can do to a drag car with Pro 3's and 10k. The vtec lobe has a worn ridge from the rocker. Same thing can happen with a smaller cam, daily driven.

We are on the same page here, lol. That is, Vtec locked = No good for 3 lobe cams/oem rocker. It was tried for drag car purpose and within a short time the wear occurred. Same thing happened to Randy Owens (NAH2B) H23, locked vtec, Pro3's/OEM rockers, H series all motor record holder for many years. Excessive wear on both rocker and cams.

NOW I understand. Forgive me. Yes, we are absolutely on the same page. For me, it was difficult for me to see what specifically you were referring to on the camshaft itself. I didn't know if it was the lighting or some other phenomena.

2001GSRSC 05-01-2019 03:44 PM

What are your thoughts on the regrind cams that only alter the Vtec lobe? So the idle, emissions, and low speed is unaffected, but you get more power? Bisimoto, HE Customs, etc.

TheShodan 05-01-2019 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by 2001GSRSC (Post 51921788)
What are your thoughts on the regrind cams that only alter the Vtec lobe? So the idle, emissions, and low speed is unaffected, but you get more power? Bisimoto, HE Customs, etc.

I personally was never a fan. I can't speak for anyone else.

JRCivic1 05-01-2019 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by 2001GSRSC (Post 51921788)

Forget a regrind and choose a set of Crower 63402A's... these cams have the stock lift/duration Primary and Secondary lobes and a BIG VTEC lobe. I believe they also have a stage 3 version as well. Bisi's stuff is cut by Web Cams You get more peak power but the transition from the low cam lobes to the high cam lobe is more dramatic in an N/A application.