Notices

Troubleshooting: Car is reaching positive boost pressure, but car NOT going anywhere

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 06:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Troubleshooting: Car is reaching positive boost pressure, but car NOT going anyw

Originally Posted by Autoworks
My $.02 based off what I've seen happen here. I had a H22 swapped prelude come in for turbo install. Installed it, went to tune, it would make boost pressure but would barely move out of it's own way...turned out. cams were off and not TDC. Solution, set the motor to TDC and start over).
I had a B series car, turboed, no power...found one of the adj. cam gears slipped completely and timing was completely out of whack.
I've had 2 D series cars in, same complaint...bad distributors.
None of the issues were actually turbo related...not to rule out the turbo system; but to remind you to check other things that you would overlook
Just my $.02
interesting you say that because I did have different cam gears and replaced them with skunk2 pro series...will check those as well
Old 12-09-2018, 06:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Troubleshooting: Car is reaching positive boost pressure, but car NOT going anyw

Originally Posted by Txdragon
^^ I had the same thing. I argued over a couple emails with John at Phearable when he was tuning my setup. I told him my WOT pull fell on its face and he said mech timing was off. I swore it had been done, I double checked myself. I decided to be open minded as they were the pros and to pull **** apart, sure enough, I was about a tooth and a half off. I didn't look close enough when I set it before installing; it was actually only noticeable from a direct-on view.. Fixed it, set ignition timing, tuning commenced.
will be under the hood when i get off work today...have a new timing belt and water pump to install ANYWAY so might as well knock them out
Old 12-11-2018, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This may seem a bit simple, but I have seen no reference to knock count. Have you been watching it? I ask, because when you get knock retard it kicks the crap out of the engine output. Like flat flat.

When I first boosted my engine I was getting brutal knock retard at the boost threshold and it was if there was no boost.

Chay
Old 12-11-2018, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Chrisfrom1986
If the distributor is turned all the way in one direction then your mechanical timing is wrong.
replaced the waterpump and the timing belt, set back the timing, and now the dizzy is centered and i have the 16 degrees. changing the map sensor tomorrow and removing the turbo kit and addind a brand new t3/t4 turbo, manifold, wastegate and down pipe (weather permitting cause it got cold in recent days). will see what happens. thanks for all the positive input and suggestions guys.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 286 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by linkdeezie
replaced the waterpump and the timing belt, set back the timing, and now the dizzy is centered and i have the 16 degrees. changing the map sensor tomorrow and removing the turbo kit and addind a brand new t3/t4 turbo, manifold, wastegate and down pipe (weather permitting cause it got cold in recent days). will see what happens. thanks for all the positive input and suggestions guys.
Crossing my fingers for ya!
Old 12-11-2018, 10:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 178 Likes on 151 Posts

But did you rotate the engine counter clockwise and verify your timing is correct? I'm guessing not. Why don't you just skip the turbo until you get the engine running correctly first.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:18 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

And a complete retune of the engine, of course.
Old 12-24-2018, 06:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Chrisfrom1986
But did you rotate the engine counter clockwise and verify your timing is correct? I'm guessing not. Why don't you just skip the turbo until you get the engine running correctly first.
I did. 6 rotations counter clockwise. Cant really SKIP the turbo because I have no stock exhaust manifold or aftermarket header to put on the engine...
Old 12-24-2018, 06:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
And a complete retune of the engine, of course.

Yeah I'm going to have to retune now because of what I actually did to the car. Shouldnt be much tho...
Old 12-24-2018, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

OK so just a quick update. I basically took the head off of the car, inspected the pistons, walls, head, valves, etc. Installed a new head gasket because I had one just sitting around and just didnt want to re-use the old one. Put the head back on. Reinstalled the intake manifold and everything else. Removed my full-sized radiator and replaced with 1/2 size. Changed off the timing belt and the water pump. Engine is back back together. And car is fine. Dunno if there was a gremlin under my hood sabotagin' my sh*t but i'm now back in business. Can"t really pin-point what the issue was but I'm glad the EF is up and running the way it should be. I've wanted one of these for a LOOOONG time and they're getting harder and harder to find. the 88's are now considered ANTIQUES! Gonna tune it and put a few highway miles on it and then it's off to the body shop for some TLC. Thanks for the assistance and the suggestions guys.
Old 12-24-2018, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Txdragon
Crossing my fingers for ya!
ended up returning the turbo kit and re-using the Greddy kit. The kit that i bought off of ebay was 1- incomplete, and 2- the wrong configuration. DNA Motoring sucks in my opinion just because of this experience.
Old 12-24-2018, 08:23 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

DNA Motoring sucks in my opinion just because of this experience.
Yeah, it's been like that for years. Sadly, many like you learn the hard way.

Last edited by TheShodan; 12-25-2018 at 02:44 PM.
Old 12-24-2018, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 286 Likes on 245 Posts

ended up returning the turbo kit and re-using the Greddy kit. The kit that i bought off of ebay was 1- incomplete, and 2- the wrong configuration. DNA Motoring sucks in my opinion just because of this experience.
DNA motoring has a few good items. I don't think I'd source a turbo through them though. I'm using a DNA motoring ramhorn manifold though and it has served me very well. The rest of that kit was through CXRACING. Grabbed a catback for my Eclipse from them. Fit perfectly. I've NEVER had an aftermarket exhaust line up perfectly with the stock hangers until this one. Just recently got some motor mounts from DNA. They look fantastic and fit perfect. **shrug** Guess places put out some good stuff and some garbage along with it.