Notices

troubles, turbo not spooling as usual then, "pop" - help!

Old 06-30-2004, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default troubles, turbo not spooling as usual then, "pop" - help!

Man. I went to the stealership this morning and had an IACV installed, and a broken valve cover stud removed and replaced. I finally picked up my 'teg, left the parking lot and really pushed it 'cuz people wanted to hear the BOV. Anyway, just after shifting into second (I think, maybe later) about 25 yards up I hear "pop". Don't remember if it was before or after the "pop" but turbo didn't seem to be spooling as fast as usual and car didn't pull like it normally would. I immediately pulled over, popped hood, and saw a little bit of white smoke coming from in between the exhaust manifold, right down near the turbo (see pic below). Anyway, I carefully went back to dealership, and most visible hoses/lines, etc. but couldn't find anything wrong. Any suggestions on what this could be. I am currently home w/ my 'teg sitting inside the garage at the dealership. I don't really know what to do, or how to go about troubleshooting. I just find it odd that the car was running pretty well w/ no probs before the work was done, and then I leave the dealership and **** happens.

Modified by CrazyModGSR at 1:54 AM 7/1/2004
Old 06-30-2004, 09:53 PM

Default Re: troubles, turbo not spooling as usual then, "pop" - help! (CrazyModGSR)

http://www.hostedimage.com/usr/968/17a.JPG
Old 07-01-2004, 02:54 AM

Default Re: troubles, turbo not spooling as usual then, "pop" - help! (CrazyModGSR)

sounds like your IC pipe popped off. jack up your car and look at the turbo's cold side and see if the coupler is still holding up the intercooler piping.
Old 07-01-2004, 03:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: troubles, turbo not spooling as usual then, "pop" - help! (lilxvtecxpwr)

Deltagate + "pop" =
Old 07-01-2004, 06:17 AM

Default Re: troubles, turbo not spooling as usual then, "pop" - help! (HybridKOOP)

i don't think it's the IC piping for some reason, but I'll check. I've been meaning to get rid of that Deltagate and get a Tial, but haven't gotten to it. if it was the wastegate though, why would there be a lil white smoked coming from below the exhaust manifold, not near the wastegate.
Old 07-01-2004, 06:20 AM

The smoke is probably just small amounts of oil burning off. The valve cover came off, I'm sure some oil got spilled in the process.
Old 07-01-2004, 06:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

any smoke out of your exhaust?
Old 07-01-2004, 06:28 AM

Default Re: troubles, turbo not spooling as usual then, "pop" - help! (Chillinit)

not that i could see, but i didn't look
Old 07-01-2004, 06:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

try to isolate the smoke more.

Like said before check you piping to make sure its kosher.

Check the bolts on mani and turbo to make sure they are still tight.

One thing to check is see if smoke is coming OUT of you dipstick hole, thats is not a good sign if it is.
Old 07-01-2004, 06:37 AM

Default Re: troubles, turbo not spooling as usual then, "pop" - help! (mike1114)

the smoke did appear like it was coming out of the dipstick hole. what would that mean?
Old 07-01-2004, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CrazyModGSR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Man. ... left the parking lot and really pushed it 'cuz people wanted to hear the BOV. </TD></TR></TABLE>

hoo-boy

white smoke usually means water/coolant of some sort. not good, esp from engine area.
Old 07-01-2004, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: troubles, turbo not spooling as usual then, "pop" - help! (Turbo E 604)

its probably just oil burning off the head. and oil burning off the head may look as if its coming out of the dipstick when its really not. but that popping sound and laggy spool time does sound like a coupler popping off. or u busted a hole in a coupler. i would seriously check that before u just to any conclusions
Old 07-01-2004, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: troubles, turbo not spooling as usual then, "pop" - help! (boostedej1)

Yeah, if the valve cover came off, then i bet it was just residule oil burning off, no biggie. And it realy does sound like a charge pipe popped off!
Old 07-01-2004, 11:32 AM

Default Re: troubles, turbo not spooling as usual then, "pop" - help! (mattssi)

well, got back from the dealership just now. turns out one of the IC couplings was popped off, and the smoke was most likely from the oil burning off the head from when the valve cover was opened. also, found that that ground wire to the in-line fuel pump wasn't grounded completely, thus probably not supplying enough fuel. seems to run better now, but i am not getting the same boost as i was before. i would see 7 psi no problem on my boost gauge before and 10 psi if i really stomped it, now see 5, maybe 6 if it hit it hard. seems to run smoothly, except in 1st gear the boost gauge is kind of "jumpy", not as smooth as it should be, and seems to take a little more throttle to get out of vacuum and start seeing any boost. would my new idle air valve have anything to do w/ this?
Old 07-01-2004, 11:38 AM

if you had smoke out of your dipstick hole, that is usually blowby. you should do a compression check.

Landon
Old 07-01-2004, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: troubles, turbo not spooling as usual then, "pop" - help! (boosted_dc2)

IACV installed, thats like 2 - 12mm bolts and 2 coolant lines, how much did they charge you?
Old 07-01-2004, 08:26 PM

Default Re: troubles, turbo not spooling as usual then, "pop" - help! (FredoSP)

too much. came to like $275 for part and labor. bullshit, i know, could've and should've done myself. BTW, what is blowby?
Old 07-01-2004, 10:27 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CrazyModGSR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">too much. came to like $275 for part and labor. bullshit, i know, could've and should've done myself. BTW, what is blowby?</TD></TR></TABLE>

man u could have bought a tial wastegate and them some with that cash
Old 07-01-2004, 11:27 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CrazyModGSR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">too much. came to like $275 for part and labor. bullshit, i know, could've and should've done myself. BTW, what is blowby?</TD></TR></TABLE>

blowby is a sign that your rings are done.

Landon