Notices

Which tranny GSR or LS for boost?

Old 08-30-2005, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which tranny GSR or LS for boost?

Currently I'm running a GSR tranny w/ my B18B. It seems to wind out forever. Anyways I heard it was best to use a LS tranny for the longer gears.

The Q is: Is that for dragging the car for better accel?

I plan on turbo'n my car soon, and I need to upgrade tranny. I want a good strong street car and I won't be draggin. I like my gearing now, but should I change to LS when turbo'n or stay GSR?
Old 08-30-2005, 03:24 PM

Default Re: Which tranny GSR or LS for boost? (mericbe)

gsr has better acceleration.
Old 08-30-2005, 03:35 PM

Default Re: Which tranny GSR or LS for boost? (1boostedcivic)

Ok when U when u say better accel as in general? Or better accel than an LS tranny bolted to a boosted B18B?

Everyone says LS is the way to go if boostin. I'm just wonderin, cuz I like my setup now but I dont want to be unhappy w/ my gearing once I go boost.
Old 08-30-2005, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

stick with the GSR. some people think the longer gearing is better, and unless your making 1200WHP trapping 190 you dont really need the longer gearing. ask the high horsepower guys what trannies they run and i guarantee 95% of them run b16 or GSR trannies.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:01 PM

This has been beat to death. After reading something boosted hybrid wrote a long time ago I saved it so I could relay the info every other day when someone tries to say LS tranny is better for boost. so here u go:
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boosted hybrid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Gear ratios are merely a way to trade torque for rpm. With a higher numerical gear ratio, you are putting more rpm at the wheel. With closer gear ratios, you are able to stay at a higher rpm in between shift points. Something like the LS transmissions are suited more towards the broad torque curve/low reving LS engine. It keeps you in the peak torque area in between shifts. The ITR/SI/GSR transmissions keep the rpm's built up in between shifts, to stay in the more peaky powerband.

Having said that, for the track the itr/si tranny is the best hands down. Most high whp turbo engines are operating between 5.5-9k, and having their shift points in between. In combination with a tall slick size (24.5"+), and the high shift point (8.5-9k), you are able to keep the engine operating within the optimum torque curve.

With the LS transmission, between shifts it would possibly drop you out of the optimal powerband and therefore make you slower. Gearing simply put allows you to stay in the powerband of your engine in between shifts.

The myth that you stay in gear longer with the LS transmission makes you faster is purely false. Think about that statement for a second. Acceleration is the measure of velocity over a unit time. Watching the rpms climb on the tach during a 3rd/4th gear pull, they would be climbing slower than with the si/itr tranny. Looking at the definition of acceleration as a measure of velocity over a unit time, the engine would be getting to the same velocity over a slower time lapse. This would yield slower acceleration, and simply put make you slower.

Having said that, the gsr transmission is probably the best balance of a street/strip transmission. The gearing is a little less aggressive as the itr/si transmissions, which will yield a little more traction. For all out acceleration si/itr tranny wins hands down. For a slower car, go with the LS transmission.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 08-30-2005, 04:07 PM

Default Re: Which tranny GSR or LS for boost? (97turbols)

Thanks guys, I'll stick w/ the GSR
Old 08-30-2005, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i upgraded from a DX tranny to an EX/Si tranny and my god does it feel better.

the acceleration is amazing!

only downside is the higher rpms while highway driving, but 2-3-4gear pulls make up for it.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (nerdsports)

Just to put some first hand input into this. I currently have a back up motor(stock B18b) in my car and I raced the car w/ it this weekend. I have the GSR tranny mated to it and boy did I have a hell of a time. I don't like to take the stock LS over 7200 but, by the 1k ft. mark it was on the limiter in 4th. I ended up having to bump the rev limiter up to 7500 just to make a good pass. If you are going to run a stock LS head than I suggest going w/ the LS trans. If you have a higher rev capability than by all means take advantage of the "better" gear ratio choices.

Phil
Old 08-30-2005, 04:54 PM

Default Re: (hondaguyef)

What do u mean u had a hella of a time w/ the GSR tranny? I myself have dragged the same setup B18B/GSR tranny I had no problems and I was shifting at 7200, now I was having trouble launching. It seemed my best time's were rolling off the line at 1500 ease to 7200 prm's trying not to make the whells spin ( but that didn't work, I kept blowing 2nd out.) I'm also running this in a 94 civic coupe as well if that makes a difference.

I did notice u have to "hotbox" the gears (keep the car at a high RPM) w/ the GSR tranny.
Old 08-30-2005, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mericbe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mericbe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What do u mean u had a hella of a time w/ the GSR tranny? I myself have dragged the same setup B18B/GSR tranny I had no problems and I was shifting at 7200, now I was having trouble launching. It seemed my best time's were rolling off the line at 1500 ease to 7200 prm's trying not to make the whells spin ( but that didn't work, I kept blowing 2nd out.) I'm also running this in a 94 civic coupe as well if that makes a difference.

I did notice u have to "hotbox" the gears (keep the car at a high RPM) w/ the GSR tranny.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, 1-3 are great. It's 4th that gave me a bad time. I'm not sure what kind of power level you are at but, I was trapping 112+ hitting the rev limiter and that's what I meant by trouble. I had to go from a 7200 rev limit to a 7300, then 7400 and eventually 7500 w/ all passes except the 7500 rev limit hitting the limiter across the line and 7500 netted 113.9 MPH. Way out of the power band and way to far for a stock LS head IMO. I had to do it though to compete. Made to the sem's w/ low 12 sec runs in a 2430lb. car on radials so, I can't complain about the motor. Just feel that an LS trans would have been more practical.

Phil
Old 08-30-2005, 05:07 PM

OT: mericbe..what were your times.?..im just curious..

oh and yeah..handsdown gsr tranny over an ls
Old 08-30-2005, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (LShatchy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LShatchy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
oh and yeah..handsdown gsr tranny over an ls</TD></TR></TABLE>

Only if it's practical! If you have the power and not the rev capability it's NOT a good idea. There's a big difference between a 140whp NA LS and a 300+whp Turbo'd LS. Running out of RPM will not be a problem with 140whp but, try even 200+ and you'll be in for a suprise.

Phil
Old 08-30-2005, 05:16 PM

Default Re: (LShatchy)

U will prob get better times than me hence your lighter, but my car ran 10.2 best time in a 1/8 so bout mid 15's in 1/4.

My setup: 94 Civic coupe,B18B,GSR tranny, remapped ecu, stock intake, greddy evo1 catback, MSD Cap n Coil, and skunk 2 short throw. Rans this time with slipping clutch and very bad throw out bearing. My friend who drives a 9.3 GSR, states after new clutch and he drove it he sates its capable of 9.6-9.8, but I dunno yet

Old 08-30-2005, 05:19 PM

Yes Phil I understand now what u are talking about in 4th gear. It seems the motor dont have it but the tranny has a lot more to give!
Old 08-30-2005, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ok here is my personal experience... running 250whp on a b18b with a gsr tranny now. i absolutely love how fast the car accelerates, however, im rebuilding my motor this month for 325-350whp. i feel that the gsr gearing will be a little too short for that power level(but i absolutely love it for 200-250whp) and only 7200ish rpms(currently im at 7300rpm redline, and im just about pinned in 4th at the end of the 1/4). with more power ill be right where hondaguyef is right now. consequently, im going to be swapping my gsr trans for an ls trans and probably use an itr flywheel to help rev up a lil quicker. some people say dont use a lightweight flywheel with a turbo, but i had an act 12lb on my last car and didnt notice any adverse effects.
Old 08-30-2005, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: gravity rides everything...everything will fall, se GA/ne FL
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (blackeg)

you guys should try out a 4.26 final drive with gsr or b16 stacks.