Notices

1158's TR3030R GSR, now with 512whp!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Re: TR3030R GSR, Thanks Shodan!

Originally Posted by sp00led
Gotcha, in that case has the OP noticed any difference in traction since it would seem the power is coming in a little different now? I can't pinpoint the exact cause but I couldn't hook crap on my first setup but after swapping and tuning the cams I was able to hook much better.

Currently when the streets are warm I can hook 350whp/2nd, 500whp/3rd, and 550whp/4th. I've been on the same 205/40/17 Toyo T1R tires for both tunes. I swear it's related to what feels like slower spool.
With the 421 tune I would start to lose traction at the top of 3rd gear. With the new tune I have no traction in 3rd gear. However, I was playing with boost by gear yesterday and was able to get traction in third gear. I knocked the boost down to 15psi @ 5k, 16psi @ 6k, 17psi @ 7k and 18 psi @ 8k.

I'm not done messing with it yet, but I think I'm pretty close to the limits with the tires I currently have on the car.

I may try the 888s or something else since I do daily drive the car from time to time, sometimes in the wet.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:11 PM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What size wastegate spring do you have? And how much EBC duty is it taking to hold 18psi at 8k?

What tires are you running now? FYI - Im able to maintain traction at 20psi in 3rd with drag radials on the street. And I run 24psi in 3rd at the track.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Muckman
What size wastegate spring do you have? And how much EBC duty is it taking to hold 18psi at 8k?

What tires are you running now? FYI - Im able to maintain traction at 20psi in 3rd with drag radials on the street. And I run 24psi in 3rd at the track.
.5 bar spring

42% duty cycle with solenoid frequency @ 35Hz

I have Yokohama S Drives on the car and a set of Hancook Ventus R-S2s (about half tread left) on 16s. Both were decent traction wise when I was in the low 300s. I'm looking for a tire that will help with traction but also provide good handling. I realize that I'm probably going to have to sacrifice 1 or the other I just haven't decided which. I do plan to buy a set of K1s in 15" in the near future to use for drag radials.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wasn't bragging on the T1Rs by any means they're just some old tires I've had on the car for a while. I think when the power comes in has the most to do with traction.

With the turbo inlet so close to the radiator there's no way the IATs are going to be very low. Coolant temps in 90F+weather has been my biggest problem with ac on. I would've thought a fan set as a puller like that would've caused problems.

I make about 23 PSI on a .6 spring with a Mac solenoid.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I wasn't bragging on the T1Rs by any means they're just some old tires I've had on the car for a while. I think when the power comes in has the most to do with traction.

With the turbo inlet so close to the radiator there's no way the IATs are going to be very low. Coolant temps in 90F+weather has been my biggest problem with ac on. I would've thought a fan set as a puller like that would've caused problems.

I make about 23 PSI on a .6 spring with a Mac solenoid.
I agree about the intake temps, but I can already see a big difference between fedner set up I had and the setup now. I think part of the problem is the filter element itself is getting really warm plus it's pulling in much warmer air. If I can run the filter where I want to I think I will see a significant drop in IAT.

Do you still have the foam insert in the nose? Last summer I took it out and it made a huge difference. I wasn't running the car this summer as I was doing the switch over, but I'm sure it would have had to come out again. I had to put it in for the winter because the car wouldn't warm up.

As for the pusher fan, this fan pulls 18 or 20 amps, it moves a lot of air. It made a huge difference when I put it in. The AC only fan I have is a puller, but it is 10" I think.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by GEN2 LS
what ever happened to that boost response ITB video you had? I can't find it anymore to save my life, it was a night time vid and you were racing some V8's if I recall on the highway. could you post it up if you still have it?
You got PM... Trying to stay on topic under this thread
Old 10-25-2011, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 1158
I agree about the intake temps, but I can already see a big difference between fedner set up I had and the setup now. I think part of the problem is the filter element itself is getting really warm plus it's pulling in much warmer air. If I can run the filter where I want to I think I will see a significant drop in IAT.

Do you still have the foam insert in the nose? Last summer I took it out and it made a huge difference. I wasn't running the car this summer as I was doing the switch over, but I'm sure it would have had to come out again. I had to put it in for the winter because the car wouldn't warm up.

As for the pusher fan, this fan pulls 18 or 20 amps, it moves a lot of air. It made a huge difference when I put it in. The AC only fan I have is a puller, but it is 10" I think.
It's fall now so I don't have any cooling issues but I will be removing that foam next spring. I read that somewhere else to but wasn't sure if there was any truth to it helping airflow. Thanks for the tip!

As for the SPAL fan on the condenser, which size fan did you go with? I know there are a few threads on how to wire them up with a relay. Did you just buy a relay online and do the wiring yourself?

If you come up with a new intake design I'd be interested in seeing some pics. My intake is made out of two 45 bends of 4" alum. It makes an S shape that allows room for the fan motor and places the filter in the top passenger side of the radiator. Obviously that's horrible for IATs but there wasn't room for anything else. By changing from a rear mount pull fan to a front mount push fan I would have more room for an intake. I'm not sure if I could route it down or not as it's just plain tight to route anything in 4" on a AC ramhorn.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Can't wait to turbo this Spring.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It's fall now so I don't have any cooling issues but I will be removing that foam next spring. I read that somewhere else to but wasn't sure if there was any truth to it helping airflow. Thanks for the tip!

As for the SPAL fan on the condenser, which size fan did you go with? I know there are a few threads on how to wire them up with a relay. Did you just buy a relay online and do the wiring yourself?

If you come up with a new intake design I'd be interested in seeing some pics. My intake is made out of two 45 bends of 4" alum. It makes an S shape that allows room for the fan motor and places the filter in the top passenger side of the radiator. Obviously that's horrible for IATs but there wasn't room for anything else. By changing from a rear mount pull fan to a front mount push fan I would have more room for an intake. I'm not sure if I could route it down or not as it's just plain tight to route anything in 4" on a AC ramhorn.
I was working on my intake setup today and noticed the cap on my coolant res was cracked. So I just ordered a Mishimoto res and will be mounting that in a different location. I think I'll have room to run a pipe to the open area behind the pass headlight. I have the stuff I need on the way, but some of it's coming from the left coast. Won't be next week until it is here and I can get to work on it.

What manifold and Rad are you using? I noticed with the Nuekin manifold the turbo was angled differently to the Full Race. I'm just wondering if what I come up with will work for you. If it does and our setups seem similar, I'll give you a list of everything I ordered.

Here is the fan I went with http://www.the-fan-man.com/shop/size....html?cPath=33

I didn't run a relay but have been considering adding one. When I first hooked it up it popped the 20 amp fuse. I put a 25 in there and it worked. Looking at all the stuff on that circuit I figure its probably 21 to 22 amps.

You do have to do some modification to make it fit. I had to grind off some of the hood latch bracket and it's a really tight fit between the condenser and the bumper brace.

Taking the foam out makes a huge difference. I was worried about it diverting air from the intercooler but I didn't notice much if any difference in intercooler efficiency. I'm actually thinking of drilling several holes in the foam and then using drywall anchors so I can screw a plate to the foam to cover the holes when I don't need them. It doesn't take long to get the nose off but it's still a bit of a pain.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

God I want a turbo with a massive surge cover next time around lol
Old 11-03-2011, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had to move the coolant overflow (I found my stock plastic one had cracks in the top so I just replaced it).

Anyway, here it is, full 4 inch diameter and about 21" from the turbo to the end of the filter. It does not hit the hood. I haven't made a bracket for the filter end yet, but I plan to make something to help support it though it might not be needed.

Last edited by 1158; 06-30-2017 at 10:52 AM.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:40 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
God I want a turbo with a massive surge cover next time around lol
Don't worry, it can happen, but not easily. I had created one with your size wheel, and a GT3076R Compressor cover, but the only problem was that the lower part of the splitter blade actually crossed the inducer bleed groove itself. It still worked, but the anti-reversion effects were canceled slightly. It also wound up being much more expensive due to the machining involved. So it was much easier to use the GT3582R cover instead.

62mm Reaper in a GT3076R Compressor cover

Look how little inducer inlet is left when squeezing a 62mm into a GT3076R Cover

Old 11-03-2011, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah If I get into road racing I may step down to a turbo like the on in this thread. Transient response similar to a regular 3076r?
Old 11-03-2011, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah If I get into road racing I may step down to a turbo like the on in this thread. Transient response similar to a regular 3076r?
I haven't had a 3076R, but I can tell you 2 people very familiar with that turbo have been in my car and say the response feels better to them.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:04 PM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mac, would it be "OK" to do a 3" intake on a 4" antisurge cover? The outer inch is the anti-surge and not the actual intake right? Finding room for a 4" intake is hard.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Muckman
Mac, would it be "OK" to do a 3" intake on a 4" antisurge cover? The outer inch is the anti-surge and not the actual intake right? Finding room for a 4" intake is hard.
As long as you use a short transitional coupler that goes from 3" (for the filter) to 4" (for the turbocharger), there shouldn't be a problem. Check out Frozenboost.com has good reducers like that. Here's an example

http://www.frozenboost.com/product_i...809f44d9851801

But make sure that if you have the GT3076R Antisurge cover or the GT3582R cover, you're at 4.08" OD, so it should fit.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:12 PM

Much better than the standard unit. And I'm not just saying that because I was involved in its design
Old 11-04-2011, 12:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Much better than the standard unit. And I'm not just saying that because I was involved in its design
Well if/when the time comes, I know where to go
Old 11-04-2011, 06:25 AM

Well if/when the time comes, I know where to go
I'm just glad you like what you have so far.. Looks like a lot of fun.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just a little update. Still loving this turbo. Did a 3rd gear pull the other day, 61 mph to 92 mph in 2 seconds.

If anyone is considering this turbo I say go for it. It is amazing!
Old 05-04-2012, 10:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Where's this turbo top out at? How's the pricing vs the surfer?
Old 05-04-2012, 11:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGYTh...e_gdata_player

Have a little seach on YouTube for the other.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for uploading the video Rich! Shodan, I was watching this video the other night and it states that the TR3030R is basically a GT3076R with your upgraded compressor wheel? I am not sure if you remember who I am exactly but I reached out to you not to long ago and we spoke about upgrading my GT3076R wheel if my turbo is good on Aim. I really hope that the used GT3076R I have is good, because I will be definitely upgrading to your NEW compressor wheel when it is release in the Fall!
Old 03-26-2013, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

TR3030R FTW!

Bump for new numbers!

Car is still a blast to drive! Thanks again Mac!
Old 03-26-2013, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by 1158
TR3030R FTW!

Bump for new numbers!

Car is still a blast to drive! Thanks again Mac!
No...
Thank You!

If you don't mind, I'd like to post your newer vid below. 1158 is using Tuner 1s, I'm using GSC T1s

Last edited by TheShodan; 01-03-2015 at 04:33 PM.

Quick Reply: 1158's TR3030R GSR, now with 512whp!