Notices

TOPMOUNT IN CRX!!!11 ... and my problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TOPMOUNT IN CRX!!!11 ... and my problems

so i finally got my top mount mani from one-fab.

one big problem though, the mani sits the turbo way too far over, in fact so far over that the only way i can see this working with the current setup is that im going to have to cut into the headlight. this isn't my daily driver, however i want to do this in an intelligent way so that i don't regret it later on. you can hardley see it, but the hot side is only sitting about half way on the mani...

now if i were to cut that section of the chassis out, does anyone think that that might damage the structural integrity at all? i would think not, however im not an expert either.

now for my second problem. me and matt discussed about the wastegate placement on his regular manifolds and dicided that it definately wasn't going to work with my fullrace (pwr) radiator. so matt went ahead and placed it going out and down a bit. now i think the problem is solved for my radiator situation, but now i run into a big problem with my intercooler. as of now the wastegate will be sitting in my intercooler, and i just don't think thats all too cool.

so does anyone else think im a good candidate for air to water? right now im just shooting for 300 to the wheels, and after a build maybe 500 just for fun. will an air to water handle this or should i attempt to maybe run a ww kit and move the intercooler all the way out?

thanks to anyone's input on my situation.
Old 09-29-2005, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a PWR Air to Water For Sale.

I know I have seen several people cut the headlight section with no problems, and it is not a structural piece either.
Old 09-29-2005, 01:57 PM

Default Re: (TurboElements.com)

you cant clock the turbo the other way? What I mean is have the compressor housing facing the other way.Actually after rethinking my stupid comment I noticed that you would have no room for a downpipe. Just cut the bitch, your gunna die anyway if u get in an accident seeing how the crx has a 5 star safety rating...
Old 09-29-2005, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (crx4life2002)

yeah can't clock it the other way. and thats good to know that its not a structural piece. safety rating? whats that?

ill pm you on the pwr air to water for pricing and what not. how much power can it handle? how does it compare to regular air to air setups? any disadvantages? anyone think i can still use my intercooler?
Old 09-29-2005, 02:09 PM

thats real pleasing^^
Old 09-29-2005, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (Origin)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Origin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">anyone think i can still use my intercooler? </TD></TR></TABLE>

It' hard to tell from the angles but maybe you can do backdoor IC setup?
Old 09-29-2005, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BlueShadow)

i don't doubt that a backdoor ic setup wouldn't be better. definately for me routing the pipping, but i still believe im going to have problems with the wastegate sitting too far forward and running into the intercooler. see what im saying?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Makdaddynuge &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thats real pleasing^^</TD></TR></TABLE>

it was sarcasm, safety is definately a priority, thats why i was asking about cutting the section out. thanks for your concern though.
Old 09-29-2005, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Origin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i don't doubt that a backdoor ic setup wouldn't be better. definately for me routing the pipping, but i still believe im going to have problems with the wastegate sitting too far forward and running into the intercooler. see what im saying?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Have you already bought a WG? maybe you could try buying a Turbosmart 38mm Ultragate? it is slightly shorter then the TIAL 38mm, and it has both fittings on the side as opposed to the 1 on the top and 1 on the side like the TIAL.
Old 09-29-2005, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BlueShadow)

yeah tial 38mm already purchased. i did think about the turbosmart wastegates, but after mocking up the tial, i see its going to slightly pretrude through the grill of my bumper. i wonder just how much shorter the turbosmart ultragate is? if it was 2 inches shorter it just might work, but i don't know if its that much shorter.
Old 09-29-2005, 02:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If your not in a hurry to get ur setup done..why don't u send the manifold back and get another one that won't sit the turbo so far to the side..just a suggestion..
Old 09-29-2005, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The Ultragate isn't that much shorter then the TIAL. The main thing that makes it shorter is the lack of a top fitting. The WG body itself is about a half inch shorter then the TIAL. But not having the fitting on the top of the Ultragate makes it even shorter, but only in the center portion, where the TIAL has the top port.
Old 09-29-2005, 03:03 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

yay for one-fab... matt has been ******* up alot lately imo
Old 09-29-2005, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

PM sent back
Old 09-29-2005, 03:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (wantboost)

You could run a water injection setup and eliminate the fmic all together.
Old 09-29-2005, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: TOPMOUNT IN CRX!!!11 ... and my problems (Origin)

You are going into alot of trouble because of that manifold !!! Just send it back and get another manifold , you have problems with radiator , intercooler and headlight ! you are even considering spending more money for air to water , screw that and change that manifold and by the money you save to change all the stuff you can buy a full race manifold
Old 09-29-2005, 03:27 PM
igy
Honda-Tech Member

To fix the wastegate problem you could fab up a pipe that places it somewhere else. 2 flanges and a piece of pipe fixes your problem basically.
Old 09-29-2005, 03:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Dr Pooface)

I don't see any major problems, just cut out alittle bit of the headlight bucket it will be fine. I have done this acouple times with h22's in ef chassis to clearence for the alternator. As for the wastegate just get 2 more flanges and weld another 45 or 60 deg. bend inbetween them and bolt that to what is already there to place the wastegate down and in more and for the intercooler, just face your compressor discharge straight down and run your intercooler like Tony1 did, here is the link https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1339065 or maybe you contact him and he can make you one.
Old 09-29-2005, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bxjdmhatch)

Originally Posted by bxjdmhatch
If your not in a hurry to get ur setup done..why don't u send the manifold back and get another one that won't sit the turbo so far to the side..just a suggestion..
well, im halfway there, im pretty determined right now to make this setup work, and i don't think i could send the manifold back. it took awhile to get it and ill probably end up losing more money in the end. im not all that worried about the turbo sitting in my headlight, like i said its not my daily driver.

Originally Posted by BlueShadow
The Ultragate isn't that much shorter then the TIAL. The main thing that makes it shorter is the lack of a top fitting. The WG body itself is about a half inch shorter then the TIAL. But not having the fitting on the top of the Ultragate makes it even shorter, but only in the center portion, where the TIAL has the top port.
well without the top fitting on the tial its probably sitting about an inch to an inch and a half into the intercooler. you might be getting somewhere though, with it being so short and no top fitting it might work, at the worst ill just have to move the ic out a bit more. anyone in or around alabama have one that i can test fit on my car?

Originally Posted by wantboost
yay for one-fab... matt has been ******* up alot lately imo
i won't comment on that.

Originally Posted by Dr Pooface
You could run a water injection setup and eliminate the fmic all together.
im thinking about this, however, ive read a bit and heard there are heat soaking problems with them. are they as bad about this as i have read? this car isn't my dd however i do drive it for about 4 hours or so.

Originally Posted by Marlon88
You are going into alot of trouble because of that manifold !!! Just send it back and get another manifold , you have problems with radiator , intercooler and headlight ! you are even considering spending more money for air to water , screw that and change that manifold and by the money you save to change all the stuff you can buy a full race manifold
i know i know, but this manifold is some nice work. id hate to get rid of it just because i wasn't dedicated enough to finish this up. money is not so much an issue, i enjoy putting stuff into my car, not like i dread having to get something else everytime i need something. i already have the pipping and the ic, but i don't think id have a problem getting rid of it if i needed to and then put a little extra money into getting the air to water.

Originally Posted by igy
To fix the wastegate problem you could fab up a pipe that places it somewhere else. 2 flanges and a piece of pipe fixes your problem basically.
if i were to do that, which direction do you suggest i should go. if i go to the left i hit the radiator, if i go right ill hit into the car (no im not cutting a hole there too), and theres no room to go up.

Originally Posted by dragline
I don't see any major problems, just cut out alittle bit of the headlight bucket it will be fine. I have done this acouple times with h22's in ef chassis to clearence for the alternator. As for the wastegate just get 2 more flanges and weld another 45 or 60 deg. bend inbetween them and bolt that to what is already there to place the wastegate down and in more and for the intercooler, just face your compressor discharge straight down and run your intercooler like Tony1 did, here is the link https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1339065 or maybe you contact him and he can make you one.
will angling the wastegate more cause creeping? me and matt had talked and that was a big issue that we were trying to get passed. this seemed like the right thing at the time. and with the intercooler pipping i was thinking of just coming through the side of the car and running straight up to meet the compressor.

ahh soooo many things running through my head.
Old 09-29-2005, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i just noticed, but does tony1's precision intercooler have custom endtanks on it that make it angle like that? i think ill p.m. him and see exactly how hard it was for him to run that setup.
Old 09-29-2005, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There not custom end tanks there just modified, he just welded tubes on there, it's the simplest way I've seen in A ef chassis of plumbing it up for turbo.
Old 09-29-2005, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dragline)

well it looks like that might be the way to go. i guess i could just fab up some brakcets as well and just push the intercooler out an inch further or so. so he did indeed fab these up himself? precision doesn't have a intercooler like that? and how about the flow, i know alot of people don't like the backdoor ics cause its just a straight and then a 90. his looks like it could flow pretty well.
Old 09-29-2005, 04:30 PM
OG triple OG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (bxjdmhatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bxjdmhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If your not in a hurry to get ur setup done..why don't u send the manifold back and get another one that won't sit the turbo so far to the side..just a suggestion..</TD></TR></TABLE>

i wouldnt want to cut that car only because once its cut , its cut youll have to weld a new rad support if you ever wanted to make it a daily or what not.
Old 09-29-2005, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if you delete your headlight i'm sure you could fab up a nice airbox in place of your headlight. as far as the wastegate goes, the easiest solution imo would be to cut off the 38mm flange, and weld on some elbows to point the wastegate in a different direction.
Old 09-29-2005, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Hella_JDM)

why dont you cut the wastegate tube off, weld the hole shut with a plate, and put the wg on the other side?
Old 09-29-2005, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Dturbocivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dturbocivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why dont you cut the wastegate tube off, weld the hole shut with a plate, and put the wg on the other side?</TD></TR></TABLE>

That would be the logical and simplest thing to do but this is H-T where nothing is made to be simple

Quick Reply: TOPMOUNT IN CRX!!!11 ... and my problems