Notices

Top cylinder brace ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2005, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Top cylinder brace ?

I'm sure everyone has seen a top cylinder brace for a b series engine, I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with these, I am building an engine for a friend of mine and am wondering if I should have this peice welded in? if anyone has one of these in their engine or has assembled an engine with one of these braces any input would be appreciated
Old 04-29-2005, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Top cylinder brace ? (92_civic)

are you talking about a block guard?
Old 04-29-2005, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Top cylinder brace ? (underpressure02)

yes...sorry, I knew there was a better name for it
Old 04-29-2005, 01:32 PM

I honestly don't see the point. Exospeed and Benson both sleeve blocks that are open at the top, and they take 700+ horsepower without any issues. Jeff just tuned that 550 WHP hatch, stock sleeves, no block guard. Skip it, there's no evidence out there to say it actually works.
Old 04-29-2005, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Top cylinder brace ? (b16sedan)

thankyou for your input, but he already has the guard, should I bother to put it in or not
Old 04-29-2005, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b16sedan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I honestly don't see the point. Exospeed and Benson both sleeve blocks that are open at the top, and they take 700+ horsepower without any issues. Jeff just tuned that 550 WHP hatch, stock sleeves, no block guard. Skip it, there's no evidence out there to say it actually works.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You do realize that aftermarket sleeves are a hell of a lot stronger then stock sleeves right? Because your post sounds like you are comparing aftermarket sleeves to stock sleeves and saying b/c they are opened you don't need a block guard.
Old 04-29-2005, 06:11 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by underpressure02 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You do realize that aftermarket sleeves are a hell of a lot stronger then stock sleeves right? Because your post sounds like you are comparing aftermarket sleeves to stock sleeves and saying b/c they are opened you don't need a block guard. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, I pretty much am comparing stock sleeves to aftermarket sleeves. Jeff tuned that 550 WHP car, and said it was beaten on lots last year at 500 WHP, sounds pretty damn strong to me. The aftermarket sleeves are thicker and will take a bit more abuse and certainly a larger bore, but I have my doubts about how much stronger they are than stockers. How many stock honda sleeve failures do you know of that were caused by too much power? I've never seen one. The ONLY thing I've ever seen is a motor detonating on stock cast pistons, those break apart, then eat up the sleeve. Stock honda sleeves are way stronger than you think. A few years ago there wern't people around who sleeved honda blocks, and what did all these race cars use? Stock sleeves.
Old 05-02-2005, 05:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b16sedan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
How many stock honda sleeve failures do you know of that were caused by too much power? I've never seen one. The ONLY thing I've ever seen is a motor detonating on stock cast pistons, those break apart, then eat up the sleeve. Stock honda sleeves are way stronger than you think. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well I can only talk from experience being that I had a stock sleeve crack. I also know a bunch of people who have had sleeves crack or just plain blow apart. If stock honda sleeves can handle so much power why does everyone get their blocked sleeved?
Old 05-02-2005, 06:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92_civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thankyou for your input, but he already has the guard, should I bother to put it in or not</TD></TR></TABLE>

if you put it in, you should get the cyl's check for roundness, after you install the blockguard. its possible that it could "throw" your cyl's off a bit.
Old 05-02-2005, 06:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

At high power levels, stock sleeves will crack at the least bit of detonation. A stock motor will handle a lot of power, but will not put up with a bit of detonation like a built motor will. You only got one shot, better not **** up at that power level with stock sleeves!!