Notices

Took it to the track for the first time....Down right Horrible. First time though!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2003, 08:07 AM
HELLO,GOOD MORNIN'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Took it to the track for the first time....Down right Horrible. First time though!

This was my frist time running a turbo car at the track. Somthing to get used to. It was horrible, but i have alot of variables that i know my time can get better

These times are with blown struts in the back, stock height, (seems higher)
Sorry *** Kumo Estaca's w/ camber on the wheels, And sorry *** track.

This was an "heads up" event........(Straight drop to green)
R/T... .798
60... 2.457...........
MPH...58.49
1/8....9.697
MPH...80.26

So much wheel spin it bogged like a biznich in thrid.
Tell me what you guys think If i clean that 60 ft. up and fix my varibles. Or what ever you want to say.

Antwaine

Modified by HybridcivicLS-T at 11:23 AM 9/22/2003
Old 09-22-2003, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Took it to the track for the first time....Down right Horrible. First time though! (HybridcivicL

hey not bad for first time out. is that at kennadale???
Old 09-22-2003, 08:59 AM
HELLO,GOOD MORNIN'

Default Re: Took it to the track for the first time....Down right Horrible. First time though! (HybridcivicL

Yeah. Keendale.
Old 09-22-2003, 09:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What car were you in?
Old 09-22-2003, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nsxmatt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What car were you in? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Civic Coupe w/ a b18b turbo.
Old 09-22-2003, 09:14 AM

9.6?!? I run 9.29 in the 1/8th My guess is that you're spending too much time spinning the tires... you trap at 80mph and I trap at 76-77 mph on streets at 22psi. With 22" slicks I trap at 78mph.

Tell us what you launched at.. what your tire pressures were at also, and tire sizing. This will help us determine a good guess at optimal presure + launch rpm.

FWIW I launch at 3-3.5k with 22psi in the all seasons (I'm saving money for turbo, tires come later ). 195/60R14. I usually pull 2.2-2.3 60' times. Your best bet is to hold the rpm steady while launching - don't hit the gas AT ALL until you know the tires are going to catch + hold. It sounds nice + looks fast to spin the tires through redline in 2nd but it's slow as heck. Part-throttle it if you have to. Spinning tires is going to be slow.
Old 09-22-2003, 02:33 PM
HELLO,GOOD MORNIN'

I know I have shitty tires I was just giving info of what i did. You don't realize how my struts suck. I almost look like a many domstic coming off the line the way my front end picks up. I know I spent the tires but i really can't do to much about it becuase the tires suck and my struts suck and i bogged in third. I know there is plenty room for impove ment with little things as tires and sturts. Racing a turbo car i sno where the same as a N/A car.
Old 09-22-2003, 02:42 PM

Believe me I know... haha... my shocks are blown too Between every shift I've been told it looks like a fat kid just jumped on my hatch, it slams down so much. And BTW your tires are beautiful compared to mine.

I'm not saying you did crappy, just that I need more info to help you out Just let me know what size they are + what pressure you ran, and also what you launched at.
Old 09-22-2003, 02:46 PM
HELLO,GOOD MORNIN'

Stock si wheels...........205/55/15 Im not sure what pressure, just stock.
Old 09-22-2003, 03:03 PM

OK there's your first step...

I'm not sure what you did for a burnout so I'd suggest nothing more than a 1/2 second chirp of the tires to make sure they're clear of dirt/rocks/debris, no matter what tire pressure you choose. I assume you have an open diff so you're only going to spin the drive tire (for me that's the right front) but don't worry about it.

Launch RPM is what you play with when you've chosen a particular tire pressure. Start with a single tire pressure and work from there.

Practice reaching the launch RPM in the lines before you make it to the tree or you'll panic (this is useless info if you have a 2-step; I assume you don't). You'd be surprised how easy it is to F up a run if you're not quite sure how much throttle to give it to reach 4k rpm and the tree goes green while you're still getting the launch RPM right! When that happens I usually nail the throttle, spin all over the place and completely bugger up the run. Not good! Minimize the variables + practice beforehand.

Now onto the fun stuff. A lot of people will roll out to the track once and play with the tire pressures + launch RPM on every single run. I highly advocate against this and try not to do this when I race, as I typically suck at dragracing enough to screw up at least one of two runs SOMEwhere (and I think that anyone that tells you they never make mistakes is lying). So try and do a minimum of two runs with a particular tire pressure + rpm to see if it works for you. Take that with a grain of salt though: if it's downright horrible, then feel free to change after 1 run. But don't blame the settings for a driver error

So for a start, a good baseline is 28psi tire pressure and a 3k rpm launch. I assume your car is heavier (2800lbs+), so after 2 runs with those settings vary your launch RPM upwards if you feel you're not going to spin - a good setting is 3.5-3.8k rpm. This will give you a feel for how the car hooks. Remember a little bit of spin isn't bad off the line; you want 1-2 tire revolutions, optimally, before the tires grab (this is heresay data from my own experience.. but I've got a big stack of timeslips to back it up).

After you feel you're maximizing your 60' time with the particular tire pressure, move onto the next lower pressure. Some people will tell you to vary by 2psi at a time. I think that's p00p advice because I'm just not that consistent in my launches. So vary by 5psi downwards - go to 23psi. Try launching a little higher, probably about 3.5k, and go from there.

As I said above I don't believe in nailing the throttle off the line... if you're already spinning more throttle will get you nowhere. Wait for it to hook and then feed it gas (you have to be more gentle because of the turbo - a sudden torque blast will just break them loose). Also take more time on the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts so you don't spin TOO much.

Mehh... I sound preachy and for that I apologize, but I do hope some of the above helps you out I've been drag racing for over 2 years now with blown rear shocks, crappy Motomaster all-seasons and the same damn torqueless wonder B16A... the only thing I've really had to play with to better my 60' times is launch RPM and tire pressure. I used to get 2.6 to 2.7 60' also, and I've been known to get 3.0

Oh and final advice: Launch OUT of boost and try not to hit boost right away! It will only spin your tires through 1st gear - it might even be better to short-shift to 2nd if you can hook it up more!
Old 09-22-2003, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

u going back thurs for the import shootout?
Old 09-22-2003, 07:01 PM

Hey Antwaine,
Try feathering the gas a little too. Me and Brad went to the track and he was running 8.8's @ 87mph, so i know you can do better. Your just going to have to play around with it till you find the right RPM.
Might alsp want to lower your tires pressure. I've gotten some 2.2's outta my khumos so idont think its the tires. Possibly the struts tho haha.

Later , Chase GSR
Old 09-23-2003, 08:14 AM
HELLO,GOOD MORNIN'

Thanks for the info raene! . It's all a learning experirence for me right now. I raced a SRT-4 that runs 8.3's at kennedale last night. We did it from a 20 punch and of course he pulled me by a car almost, but when 3rd came. IT was like his car went into reverse. So I have an idea of where i stand it just takes practice for me to get it right.

QUOTE=Jockobo]u going back thurs for the import shootout?[/QUOTE]

I have to go to school On thursday's Im trying to graduate . I'll skip one day when I'm know the material. I really don't want to go back until i get suspension.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TeamDOHCside &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey Antwaine,
Try feathering the gas a little too. Me and Brad went to the track and he was running 8.8's @ 87mph, so i know you can do better. Your just going to have to play around with it till you find the right RPM.
Might alsp want to lower your tires pressure. I've gotten some 2.2's outta my khumos so idont think its the tires. Possibly the struts tho haha.

Later , Chase GSR</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah I think it's me and the struts. Well see hoe everything goes. If he ran an 8.8 at 87mph. And i can pull him I should be doing way better. My car only weighs 2500
Old 09-23-2003, 08:32 AM

launch at 4... just control the throttle. thats the trick ve fond with turbo cars. with all motor its more about clutch control but with a turbo car you cannot give it too much gas right from the start or youare screwed.

go back and try it again

sam
Old 09-23-2003, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what clutch are you using?

Philip
Old 09-23-2003, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

cut the foreplay and juss get slicks
Old 09-23-2003, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

before he can even get to the foreplay he has to get suspension, it really is terrible.
Old 09-23-2003, 09:00 AM
HELLO,GOOD MORNIN'

ACT XTSS
Old 09-23-2003, 10:46 AM

Hes on the right track. The power is there, it just needs to be put to the ground .
Old 09-23-2003, 11:31 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by quikB18B &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hes on the right track. The power is there, it just needs to be put to the ground . </TD></TR></TABLE>

Dang right Keep practising and you'll run the #s! IMO practice is more important than parts!
Old 09-23-2003, 11:50 AM

my first run with my turbo setup was a 16.8 @ 98mph lol. i stoped like 1/4 way down the track and like restarted because i was spinning so bad...second run i cut a 2.15 60' on steets and was on teh way to a great run when i cracked the sleeve... ended with a 14.2 @ 80mph lol
Old 09-23-2003, 11:55 AM

Launch fairly high. Spin out the hole, feathering the gas until the tires hook at 6-7k rpms. On street tires, don't drop the clutch too hard in 2nd, or you will spin mad. Just hit it solid, floor it. If it spins, most likely keep in it. No lift shift into 3rd, a few hundred rpms before redline, same for 4th.

If you bogged in third, you were just spinning all gears, and short shifting because the rpms were up, not because your vehicle speed was at the shift point.

Good luck.
Old 09-23-2003, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94goldjungsr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my first run with my turbo setup was a 16.8 @ 98mph lol. i stoped like 1/4 way down the track and like restarted because i was spinning so bad...second run i cut a 2.15 60' on steets and was on teh way to a great run when i cracked the sleeve... ended with a 14.2 @ 80mph lol</TD></TR></TABLE>

how did it blow? and were you using an FMU?.

::and to everyone else that mentioned launch techniques, what would you do differently if the tires were 205/15 bfg radials?

tia
Old 09-23-2003, 12:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i just went to the track just like a week ago
ran a 9.3@81 mph on street tires with about 38 psi on the tires (17's). It was my first time too.

car was on about 7.5 psi of boost
Old 09-23-2003, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you can borrow my slicks..

Quick Reply: Took it to the track for the first time....Down right Horrible. First time though!