Notices

Too much boost with the greddy sohc kit...

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2004, 12:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Too much boost with the greddy sohc kit...

I was overboosting my d16z6 turbo (it was pinging) so I took the boost controller off and as I took it off I felt the ball inside shake. It is completely loose and still boosting about 10psi then going down to about 6psi. All I have that would change the boost is a 2.25" exhaust with a test pipe. The actuator arm was never changed, so how come it is boosting more than 5.5psi? I could understand a ~1psi increase after the exhuast but this is way too much. Could I shorten the actuator arm and then use the boost controller to get a steady 8psi?
Old 12-04-2004, 11:19 AM

Default Re: Too much boost with the greddy sohc kit... (95excoupe)

Any help at all?
Old 12-04-2004, 11:23 AM

you can always route a vaccum line from the manifold straight to the wg so boost will always be at whatever the wg actuator is set at.
Old 12-04-2004, 11:34 AM

Default Re: Too much boost with the greddy sohc kit... (ComputerJLT)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ComputerJLT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you can always route a vaccum line from the manifold straight to the wg so boost will always be at whatever the wg actuator is set at.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have done this before but I put my boost controller inline too and the car was a mess. I teed off the BOV line and the BOV wouldnt work and it acted like there was a vaccum leak, what would you suggest teeing off of? Its funny cause everything was okay till I put the new frontmount on...I guess its cause I used larger pipes then what was on there? Still, I was told when you put a fmic on you get pressure drop not pressure increase.
Old 12-04-2004, 12:16 PM

don't t off anything; run a line right from the manifold to the wg; and not some tiny *** line either; make sure its a sturdy line
Old 12-15-2004, 07:51 PM

Default Re: Too much boost with the greddy sohc kit... (ComputerJLT)

Okay im bring this back from the dead...I cant run a line right off the manifold I have my boost gauge and BOV coming off there. Could I adjust the actuator arm to open sooner and then use the boost controller? I just need to get a steady 8psi and even without a boost controller on there I get 10.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try running a vacuum line straight from the little port on the compressor housing to the WG, thats the way it's set from factory anyways. See what happens..
Old 12-15-2004, 09:09 PM

Default Re: Too much boost with the greddy sohc kit... (VTC_resurected_CiViC)

You dont need a boost controller if the turbo alone is boosting 10. Lengthening the arm will help lower the boost, not shortening it.
Old 12-15-2004, 09:26 PM

Default Re: Too much boost with the greddy sohc kit... (sporkcrx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VTC_resurected_CiViC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Try running a vacuum line straight from the little port on the compressor housing to the WG, thats the way it's set from factory anyways. See what happens..</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's the way its set up right now...still 10psi.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sporkcrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You dont need a boost controller if the turbo alone is boosting 10. Lengthening the arm will help lower the boost, not shortening it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, but it's set for 5.5 I never touched it..isnt that a huge increase for just having an exhaust on there?? I guess I could lengthen it but I heard that messes up the wastegate.