Notices

tired of the open waste gate sound!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tired of the open waste gate sound!

I've been thinking about plumbing in my waste-gate to my down pipe. Just finally had it with that loud *** open exhaust sound up front. Is this a bad Idea and why???
Old 02-15-2006, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: tired of the open waste gate sound! (primerk5)

its a good idea........why would anyone want a open dump tube on a street car anyway?

there is VERY little power increase running a open dump over a closed system......stick the dumptube in the exhaust where it belongs
Old 02-15-2006, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: tired of the open waste gate sound! (non-VTEC)

yeah man, your sick of the open sound, route it into the downpipe.
Old 02-15-2006, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am with you guys. I could not hit boost with the windows down because it would hurt my ears!

It would scare the pants off people on the sidewalk or pansy BMW convertible drivers, that was the only good bit.

Life is so much better with the dump looped back into the DP.

Old 02-15-2006, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: tired of the open waste gate sound! (voltronR34)

build or buy a mini muffler.
Old 02-15-2006, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How is your corruent setup? Mine is open but is pretty quite. Are you using a cheap thin metal? Where does it dump at?
Old 02-15-2006, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SOHCD16y8)

yea i cant even really hear my

do you not have a dumptube running to the ground?
Old 02-15-2006, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SOHCD16y8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHCD16y8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How is your corruent setup? Mine is open but is pretty quite. Are you using a cheap thin metal? Where does it dump at?</TD></TR></TABLE>

He's probably running low boost on a decent sized turbo. The more exhaust that is redirected to the WG, the noisier it is.
Old 02-15-2006, 08:51 PM

Default Re: tired of the open waste gate sound! (non-VTEC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by non-VTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its a good idea........why would anyone want a open dump tube on a street car anyway?

there is VERY little power increase running a open dump over a closed system......stick the dumptube in the exhaust where it belongs </TD></TR></TABLE>

Damn, I better route mine back to the dp...it gets pretty stinky after hitting full boost
Old 02-15-2006, 11:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i think the sound of a open wastegate is pure sex
Old 02-15-2006, 11:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^...yeah what he said. I love the sound of my gate opening up.
Old 02-16-2006, 06:50 AM

Default Re: tired of the open waste gate sound! (Bailhatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bailhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">build or buy a mini muffler.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I would suggest this also.. Something like a glasspack that would fit your dumptube size..
Old 02-16-2006, 06:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

after that wastegate sound is gone so does your sex life
Old 02-16-2006, 07:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've been running an open wg since June of last year and it's starting to drive me crazy too.. As soon as I get a nice warm day here, I'm going to drop the DP and find a spot to route the dump tube to.
Old 02-16-2006, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bubs)

would a mini muff on the dump cause problems with maintaining boost accurately? Since the exhaust gases are no longer as free flowing as they were prior?

Old 02-16-2006, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DJ Gurgla GSR)

Shouldn't provided the muffler is not a baffled or otherwise restrictive design. I did get a bit of boost creep after looping the dump though....gotta get that fixed.
Old 02-16-2006, 06:23 PM

Default Re: tired of the open waste gate sound! (rsintegra)

Heres A crappy pic of my setup its a drag kit I got in may of last year. I'm running about 7-8 pounds of boost. also my dump tube is just a turn-down out of the waste gate.
Old 02-16-2006, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im a big fan of having the WG routed back into the exhaust. The jet-like sound of a SC61@15psi is much sexier than the droning *** sound of an open gate.

They both have their merits though. Pick your poison.
Old 02-16-2006, 07:40 PM

i love hitting full boost and hearing my wastegate SCREAM! the car sounds mean and intimidating.... the way a fast car should. imo
Old 02-16-2006, 10:07 PM

Default Re: (toyH22)

cant see how u would effectively route ur wastegate to you dp. cuz ehaust pressure coming from the dp is probably a lot stronger then whats coming from the wastegate. so, all ur doing is when the wastegate opens, exhaust pressure would force exhaust fumes into the wastegate..

unless u can build a one way type of opening, but that wouldn't work...... since exhaust pressure would keep it closed....

so please explain how u guys are doing this.
Old 02-16-2006, 10:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (max pwr)

Well its true if you do it wrong ( like my set up, welders fault ) the waste gate dump will have a hard time going into the down pipe flow. The trick is the angle that the wastegate dump merges with the downpipe. So long as both flows are going mostly the same direction its ok. To sharp an entry angle from the wastegate dump and you get boost creep because the downpipe flow is greater than the wastegate dump flow just like you said.
Old 02-16-2006, 10:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (voltronR34)

The exh pressure from the WG is deff. higher than what is present in the DP after the turbo. Basically before turbo exh. pressure mixing in w/ lower after turbo exh. pressure.
Internally gated OEM turbo cars work fine right?

IMHO, the main reason why its not common to see merged WG setups, is because it takes a little extra time and fabrication to complete. That, and some guys like the sound. I also think theres an assumed power loss by merging it.

Old 02-16-2006, 11:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have head that a open dump tube will always make a good amount of power more than a non open dump tube
Old 02-17-2006, 03:07 AM
B A N N E D

Default Re: tired of the open waste gate sound! (riceball777)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by riceball777 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have head that a open dump tube will always make a good amount of power more than a non open dump tube </TD></TR></TABLE>

i've heard that if you bone a transvestite that you're a ***, but i'm not gay so it must not be true. as long as the dump is routed in a nice smooth path with no sharp bends or bottle necks and exits in to the exhaust/down pipe at a subtle angle, there will be no noticeable difference in power. i've never seen the exact same set up dyno'd with open dump and then with closed dump so i can't say 100% that you may not lose 1 or 2 hp, but it will definitely be nothing noticeable if anything at all.
Old 02-17-2006, 05:20 AM
Dee
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: tired of the open waste gate sound! (therealPROJEKTEG)

Try to merge the dump tube back in about 12"~18" from the DP flange. This has been proven to provide almost the same hp as an open w/g but try to get as close to 18" as possible. There is a thread somewhere in the archives.

Many of the japanese aftermarket companies over here sell channeled dump setups for OEM turbos. The surge of exhaust from the flapper valve opening on OEM setups causes backpressure which robs power and can decrease spool time when a good boost controller is not being used. I know you are using a w/g but I am trying to give you examples instead flapping my gums like most posters.

HKS outlet pipe for an S14 Silvia. Because of space restraints, the flapper valve pipe re-enters the exhaust about 6"~8" after the flange. This setup has been proven to provide faster spool up and more power over OEM outlet pipes.

I can not find a pic of the shitgate but it's an aftermarket outlet pipe that dumps the flapper valve to atmosphere. We call it a shitgate because it sounds like a w/g on crack. Anyway, the shitgates have also been proven to provide more power than the channelled outlet pipes.

How does this infor apply to you? Essentially, you have a free-flowing setup right now. If you re-enter the w/g incorrectly you will add a restriction to your setup. Restriction=loss of power.

Quick Reply: tired of the open waste gate sound!