Notices

Timbo74 Needs advise on a BB6 Prelude w/ JDM F20B (turbo?) set up

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timbo74 Needs advise on a BB6 Prelude w/ JDM F20B (turbo?) set up

Hello, I have a 2000 prelude auto, that needs some love. It has 190k, the trans slips between shifts, needs body work etc.
I have plans for her though...that keep changing.
Right now Im working on a little rust ( need to cut and patch the rear wheel wells, needs a hood)
I also have hail damage to fix, then I want to add a front lip, fog lights, rear diffuser, new head lights, and tail lights...and paint pearlesent black.
I already have a jdm f20b, and 5 spd with lsd, that I now want to build proper...and boost.

There is this stage 2 srt 4 who needs to be humbled, in the town i live...and I know I cannot do that without lots of advise. I personally believe no matter how much you polish a turd like a neon...it is still a neon....not even on the same level as a sexy prelude! It needs to be put in its place!

What I already have: skunk2 pro series stage 1 cam.
Skunk2 pro series valve springs, titanium retainers
Balance shaft delete kit.
Lightened flywheel 11lbs
Vms racing adjustable cam gears
New oem oil pump
Shunk 2 billet cam seal

Need advise on what to look for in a turbo?
Need advise on whether I should have the f20 block bored to 2.2 l ?
Need advise on what pistons, connecting rods I should consider?
Need advise on what to shoot for in compression ratio?
Need advise on head port work?
Will the stock f20 crank handle this abuse?
I just need lots of advise! I am absolutely no expert.
I have plans on a chipped p28/hondata w-boost.

I want to keep this build streetable, on possibly e85....but at the same time...I want to decimate the neon....and others....lol
I would like to have the ability to lay down 450+ hp if needed.

Thank you all.

Last edited by timbo74; 06-15-2019 at 08:43 AM.
Old 06-15-2019, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 286 Likes on 245 Posts
Default re: Timbo74 Needs advise on a BB6 Prelude w/ JDM F20B (turbo?) set up

Originally Posted by timbo74
Hello, I have a 2000 prelude auto, that needs some love. It has 190k, the trans slips between shifts, needs body work etc.
I have plans for her though...that keep changing.
Right now Im working on a little rust ( need to cut and patch the rear wheel wells, needs a hood)
I also have hail damage to fix, then I want to add a front lip, fog lights, rear diffuser, new head lights, and tail lights...and paint pearlesent black.
I already have a jdm f20b, and 5 spd with lsd, that I now want to build proper...and boost.

There is this stage 2 srt 4 who needs to be humbled, in the town i live...and I know I cannot do that without lots of advise. I personally believe no matter how much you polish a turd like a neon...it is still a neon....not even on the same level as a sexy prelude! It needs to be put in its place!

What I already have: skunk2 pro series stage 1 cam.
Skunk2 pro series valve springs, titanium retainers
Balance shaft delete kit.
Lightened flywheel 11lbs
Vms racing adjustable cam gears
New oem oil pump
Shunk 2 billet cam seal

I want to keep this build streetable, on possibly e85....but at the same time...I want to decimate the neon....and others....lol

Thank you all.
If you're looking to offer that SRT-4 a worthy challenge, you're gonna need to bring the torque. If it's built right, they will pull on you really low and when that monster breaks loose, you'll never catch it. That was the ONLY Neon ever made that demanded any respect in the sport compact community. Don't make the mistake of underestimating it just because it's a Neon.

That being said, you'll want to choose your setup wisely!
Old 06-15-2019, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default re: Timbo74 Needs advise on a BB6 Prelude w/ JDM F20B (turbo?) set up

I know thats the truth....I am gonna have to choose my parts wisely. I also know the srt 4 is no joke, and im gonna need some seriously good advise to take him.....thats why im here😀
I know this is gonna be no easy, or cheap thing....but I know it can be done....with some smart choices.
I did test drive a stage 4 srt 4.....years ago, after I wreckd my 96 300zx tt.....I wasnt all that impressed.
It just felt cheap....and you couldnt get no traction....and I was used to my more refined Nissan....that made it feel slow.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Timbo74 Needs advise on a BB6 Prelude w/ JDM F20B (turbo?) set up

I know all you guys are busy with life, and stuff....but I really need some good advise on this subject....because I dont have the bank roll to go the wrong way. Going fast costs alot, and I can only afford good choices. I have been researching alot, but Im no expert.

I have been trying to weigh the options, and may be thinking about going with a supercharger instead.
Correct me if im wrong, but with the right supercharger, plus the other mods I have planned, wouldnt I gain full boost off the line? As in much more lower rpm torque and hp?

Would this setup, if its tuned right...be a better setup for hunting a stage 2 srt4?

Thanks

Tim
Old 06-19-2019, 11:34 AM
Premium Member

Received 163 Likes on 150 Posts

There are many different options that will do what you want. In your circumstances, my advice would be to get the engine done first before you buy any turbo parts.
You cannot obtain 2.2L of displacement on a stock F20B block with the stock F20B crank. There is not enough sleeve material. You will need full aftermarket sleeves or a stroker crank to get to 2.2L. Bumping the displacement is not necessary to achieve 450whp but it will help with torque and response.
Whatever connecting rods match the crank setup you intend to use. Custom pistons can be ordered from KSTuned to fit whatever crank/block/rod combination you have.
The days of low compression turbo setups are long gone. I recommend at least 10:1. Personally I like to run 10.5:1-11.5:1.
Not necessary for 450whp. Put the money towards something else.
Yes. No problems at all.
Okay.
Neptune RTP is a more cost effective option and works just as well.

450whp on E85 can easily be done on a simple rod/piston build. KSTuned sells forged F20B rods, and custom pistons that they will manufacturer to whatever spec you want.

Thank you all.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you very much for the response....it is very much appreciated.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:33 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

I've added some of my opinions below in blue.

Originally Posted by Aradin
There are many different options that will do what you want. In your circumstances, my advice would be to get the engine done first before you buy any turbo parts. Agreed on getting the engine done first. My suggestion is to lay out a goal, figure out what you need to do to accomplish that goal, and fight really hard to stick to your plan - scope creep is what can blow budgets and push completion out into eternity. For turbo selection, I would recommend talking to a pro - @TheShodan would be a great resource. @Autoworks also. Understand that these guys do this for a living, so the consultation may or may not be free.
You cannot obtain 2.2L of displacement on a stock F20B block with the stock F20B crank. There is not enough sleeve material. You will need full aftermarket sleeves or a stroker crank to get to 2.2L. Bumping the displacement is not necessary to achieve 450whp but it will help with torque and response. With the right setup, I agree that you won't need to go to 2.2L to get 450 whp. Now, whether or not that 450 whp is USABLE is highly dependent on which turbo/manifold you choose. If you go with too big of a turbo, you may not have issues hitting your goal, but if the boost comes on like a light switch at 6,500 RPM it will just be a spin-fest.
Whatever connecting rods match the crank setup you intend to use. Custom pistons can be ordered from KSTuned to fit whatever crank/block/rod combination you have.
The days of low compression turbo setups are long gone. I recommend at least 10:1. Personally I like to run 10.5:1-11.5:1. Agreed.
Not necessary for 450whp. Put the money towards something else. Agreed.
Yes. No problems at all. Agreed.
Okay.
Neptune RTP is a more cost effective option and works just as well. I use Hondata. I'd recommend getting the S300v3 with boost by gear. Go ahead and plan on having the capacitors replaced in the ECU if you haven't already done so.

450whp on E85 can easily be done on a simple rod/piston build. KSTuned sells forged F20B rods, and custom pistons that they will manufacturer to whatever spec you want.

Thank you all.
Old 06-19-2019, 05:25 PM
Premium Member

Some other things that I would like to add to this. Just general info you may find useful.

For E85, it's OK to go a little overkill on the fuel system. AEM 340ph E85 pump or something equivalent at least. ID1300cc, ID1700s or even ID2000s if you really want to be safe. Having room to grow with your fuel system is never a bad idea.

For the clutch, you don't want too much clutch. The cheap "stage 4/5" 4/6 pucks on eBay might look tempting...but they're garbage. Get something from a quality, reputable manufacturer. I'm using an ACT XTSS clutch kit which has a full face disc and it's holding just fine at almost 400whp. Perfectly streetable with a moderately heavy pedal. However, the disc you need may change depending on what direction you go with the engine. An engine that puts out more torque may require a puck style disc.

Also we don't have traction issues nearly as bad as the Civic crowd if you setup your car right. The right suspension setup, tire/wheel combo, and tune will go a long way. Accords/Preludes can stuff a pretty good sized wheel/tire setup underneath them and we're also a fair bit heavier. I'm running a 235/45/17 on a 17x8.25 wheel and I dead hook second at around 350whp, with 3rd-5th fully hooking as well at nearly 400whp. Of course that's with a good boost by gear/rpm setup and tire. As was stated above, not only will the power you make have a say in how much traction you get but it's also how that power is delivered.

I hope some of this info is useful to you. Judging by your post I would say you still have a lot of research to do. I would recommend doing a lot of reading and looking at other, similar builds before you buy the first part. You're starting with a clean slate but there is a lot involved in doing what you want to do, maybe more than you think. Good luck.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Very helpful...thank you sir.
I know I am green at this, and its all a learning experience.
Back when I first planned this project, I had much more confidence, as one of my best friends, who has always worked on my cars...was still with us.
He passed in January....now im kind of lost....but I know I need to see it through.
Old 06-20-2019, 07:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Contacting a company like KSTuned to assist you with supplying the correct parts and going over your build goal/usage/requirements with them is probably a good idea, if you not super familiar with all the details and intricacies of a turbo build.

Other than the fuel system , engine internals and ECU the next group of parts you'll need to select carefully is the turbo system.
  • Turbocharger - I'd suggest a 50 - 55 lb/min turbo like a GT3076R/BW S252 SX-E/Turbonetics TNX-30/GTW3476
  • Turbo manifold - GO-AUTOWORKS H22 H2b F20B H23 DOHC VTEC turbo manifold Civic Integra Prelude Accord
  • Wastegate - Tial/Turbosmart/Precision 38mm
  • Oil feed and drain
  • Blow off Valve - any reputable brand of your choice
  • Intercooler - 2.5" thick core rated for 550hp minimum
  • Intercooler piping and clamps - 2.5" piping
  • Vacuum line and fittings

Go Autoworks has a Hot Parts kit, which will get you off to a great start. They can also hook you up with the other components mentioned above.
GO-AUTOWORKS H22/H23/F20B/H2B Bottom Mount Turbo Manifold Combo
Old 06-20-2019, 10:43 PM
Premium Member

Agreed with above. Reid @ KSTuned is a great guy. Very helpful and knowledgeable. I've been dealing with them for years. If you send them an e-mail via their website he will usually respond within a day or you could always call.
Old 06-24-2019, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks alot guys, this all sounds like solid advise.
I will send Ks tuned an email, containing my parts list, and goal.

I can't thank you guy's enough, this has been so very helpful.