Notices

tial turbine housings?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tial turbine housings?

Looking to get a tial turbine housing... Any body have anything negative to say about them????
Old 12-28-2012, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: tial turbine housings?

Get a real one. There are now copies are they are not the same quality.... As you can imagine.

Their quality is above all. Pricey, but worth it.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tepid1
Get a real one. There are now copies are they are not the same quality.... As you can imagine.

Their quality is above all. Pricey, but worth it.
I was planning on getting a "real" tial housing, whether to get a real or knock off was never the question.

The question was do the stainless tial housings offer diminished performance or reliability compared to the mild steel garrett housings...

but thanks though, as you can see in my build thread I use no counterfeit parts.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:46 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Nope. No diminished performance or reliability
Old 12-29-2012, 03:33 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Unless you already have a manifold for the TiAL housing don't bother... very few people offer manifolds and adapters from t3 to v-band dont exist... and the housings don't offer any performance advantage over standard housings.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wantboost
Unless you already have a manifold for the TiAL housing don't bother... very few people offer manifolds and adapters from t3 to v-band dont exist... and the housings don't offer any performance advantage over standard housings.
Be careful making a statement like that. In many cases it will be better than what someone currently uses. IMO they are better than some housings. Smooth transitions, no divided so it hits the turbine wheel in a balanced manner. When I ran a divided housing I had pressure deltas between the two volutes.

There are lots of pros from their product.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Stainless steel deals with heat differently than mild steel housings, some say that stainless housings give characteristics of a larger AR with the same low end boost threshold. And Go Auto is making me a custom manifold for the housing so no problem sourcing a mani, and I agree with tepid1's last statement they look like they flow more symetrically. The main reason I want the TIAL housing is because it is much more low profile than the standard extended mild steel one by almost 2 inches (from back plate to exhaust outlet,) And its 33% lighter. Look at my build and you will see why i need low pro.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks guys.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:42 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Other than casting quality and different housing sizes that's it

Open volute vs divided doesn't apply here since they aren't offered in such a configuration by TiAL

Sorry but I'm not digging through the vastness of HT to find one thread... either
Iink us or stop telling us to look at it... and I don't need a thermodynamics lesson in the differences between steel, I'm well aware lol :p
Old 12-29-2012, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^?
Old 12-30-2012, 04:53 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

You keep telling us to look at your build thread yet don't supply a link.....
Old 12-30-2012, 05:21 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by wantboost
You keep telling us to look at your build thread yet don't supply a link.....
took me about 5 seconds

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/ej6-build-sir-turbo-2705824/
Old 12-30-2012, 06:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

The Tial housings are stainless, more compact, dissipate heat faster and lighter. I myself see no downside to them outside of the obvious additional cost.

As for them working like a larger housing of the same size. IMO, that would be hard to say. What I have seen here (something similar) is a much larger center channel in the stainless housings that would make it seem as though it would do that. We use and mod a lot of BEP .55 a/r housings where the channel inside is twice as wide as some other .63 cast housings we have here. Whether the Tial housing is the same, I do not know.

I just put 2 and 2 together when I read further down and saw the build thread...your clearance issue is solvable without a manifold swap, its just a time consuming downpipe. Email us back.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SAXON
Thank you some one who know how to operate the forum.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:34 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

I know how to operate the forum. I however see no need to look for a thread that you see the need to keep telling us to look at it...

If you want us to look so badly you supply the link
Old 12-31-2012, 11:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

obviously you do not
Old 01-01-2013, 03:49 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Autoworks
We use and mod a lot of BEP .55 a/r housings where the channel inside is twice as wide as some other .63 cast housings we have here. Whether the Tial housing is the same, I do not know.
Hey Greg.. I too sometimes utilize those housings as well on certain custom applications. The volute is larger because the smaller .55A/Rs are designed to use a P-trim exhaust wheel, in which the exducer blade is actually longer than used in the stage 5, O-trim or stage 3 exhaust wheels.

When BEP designed the housing in 2004 to fit both the 4 bolt and 5 bolt 2.5" Garrett patterns, they decided to use the P-trim as their base and not the Stage 3 like you see in most .63A/R housings. (This is because on average, the Stage 3 exhaust wheel at the time was about 20% more expensive than the P-trim and O-trim wheels. And since DSMs were more their base back then, it only made sense to cast them with the larger exhaust wheel in mind)

With the larger exducer blade length, requires a larger volute, which is why they were so efficient for such a compact housing, as long as the compressor wheel wasn't beyond the 30% differential. So, its because of the exhaust exducer blade length that makes the .55A/R seemingly wider than the .63A/R of a stage 3 or o-trim. Find a .63A/R machined for a P-trim, and you'll see the same width.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Hey Greg.. I too sometimes utilize those housings as well on certain custom applications. The volute is larger because the smaller .55A/Rs are designed to use a P-trim exhaust wheel, in which the exducer blade is actually longer than used in the stage 5, O-trim or stage 3 exhaust wheels.

When BEP designed the housing in 2004 to fit both the 4 bolt and 5 bolt 2.5" Garrett patterns, they decided to use the P-trim as their base and not the Stage 3 like you see in most .63A/R housings. (This is because on average, the Stage 3 exhaust wheel at the time was about 20% more expensive than the P-trim and O-trim wheels. And since DSMs were more their base back then, it only made sense to cast them with the larger exhaust wheel in mind)

With the larger exducer blade length, requires a larger volute, which is why they were so efficient for such a compact housing, as long as the compressor wheel wasn't beyond the 30% differential. So, its because of the exhaust exducer blade length that makes the .55A/R seemingly wider than the .63A/R of a stage 3 or o-trim. Find a .63A/R machined for a P-trim, and you'll see the same width.
Makes sense to me