Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Forced Induction (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/)
-   -   Tial 50mm Bov Spring? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/tial-50mm-bov-spring-2790017/)

ej1serge 06-11-2010 03:09 PM

Tial 50mm Bov Spring?

hey guys im about to go through with a turbo install this weekend and was reading up on a couple things to make sure i do everything correctly the first time around, anyway i was reading about the spring inside the tial bov and how it can cause compressor surge; i wanna make sure i have the right spring inside of it before i go through and install everything, i dont mind waiting another week or two to have the right spring in it and do the install right the first time, SO i wanted to see if anyone can explain to me how i can find out which spring i need or just tell me plain and simple which one is the right one..
my setup is a bone stock b16a2 in my 00 civic si, turbonetics, t3/t04e, inlinePro ss manifold, tial 38mm wg, full race charge pipes, nismo fmic, tial 50mm and a full race vac manifold, it will be tuned at do it dyno with the hondata s100

i have no clue what my vacuum is at idle and i dont have a vacuum gauge to find out.. if anyone can let me know that would be great.. thanks in advance...

kyden 06-11-2010 03:32 PM

Re: Tial 50mm Bov Spring?

you don't have a boost gauge?

runsfromdacops 06-11-2010 04:22 PM

i would use the small tial spring (4lbs i think?)i your setup. i have a 11lbs spring in my race car and it surges baddly under 14lbs, bike has the 4lbs and works great.

ej1serge 06-11-2010 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by kyden (Post 42734102)
you don't have a boost gauge?

is that what im supposed to use? it makes sense but ive seen people with actual vacuum gauges before so i figured that was the way to check it out.. thanks though

ej1serge 06-11-2010 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by runsfromdacops (Post 42734439)
i would use the small tial spring (4lbs i think?)i your setup. i have a 11lbs spring in my race car and it surges baddly under 14lbs, bike has the 4lbs and works great.

so will it surge either way?

TheShodan 06-11-2010 07:01 PM

no it will not. But you need to base the use of the spring from the vacuum that the intake manifold sees, then choose the spring. You won't kill the turbo if installed and driving to test things out. For most honda street cars it is the 11psi spring. for race applications, or those using managment tools that may alter the vacuum, it may be different.

I know you're nervous but try the 11psi spring, and upgrade/downgrade from there. As long as you drive normally, you'll be fine without blowing up your turbocharger.

ej1serge 06-11-2010 08:13 PM

well it will be my daily so im gonna try as hard as i can to keep it out of boost.. of course i will have my ricer moments where i will drive spiritedly lol but i just wanna be sure that this setup will last a good while.. thanks for the input! ill try it out and see how it does, should be boosted by the end of the day tomorrow...

TheShodan 06-11-2010 08:38 PM

there's nothing wrong with being in boost in daily driving conditions. (Think of how many OEM applications get good MPG due to the right turbocharger from the factory). Your tune more than anything else will ensure longevity. On my other daily driver, I'm using a GT3255B with 10-14psi daily on pump, and still get about 28mpg without blinking.

Keep doing what you're doing... but don't overthink this too much. IF you worry too much about screwing up, you'll screw up.

ej1serge 06-11-2010 08:51 PM

Haha I'm not worried about screwing up cuz I've done ALL the research I could on this and have been planning this for a good while.. Just wanna be sure everything is gonna go perfect, I have till Thursday to get it running perfect again as that's the day I have my appointment with my tuner. Thanks for the help though you gave me a little more confidence in what's gonna happen..

ej1serge 06-12-2010 10:17 PM

ok so i went ahead and did the install, everything runs fine, idles perfect, vacuum reacts great.. only one question.. is the bov supposed to be open at idle? would this cause a problem? ill open up the bov tomorrow to see what spring is inside it, at idle the boost gauge reads about -18... im guessing i should be using the unpainted 11 psi spring? am i right?

btw the bov reacts great and its quick.. but it stays open at idle..
heres a vid btw not showing the bov just finished the install and took a quick vid of the first start-up. thanks in advance for any advice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmAEM2KtdBc

gringotegra 06-13-2010 12:21 AM

Ive got the smallest spring in my car and it is open at idle...does not surge at all... So i wouldnt worry about it being open..in face i thought they were supposed to be open at idle if everything was set right..

ej1serge 06-13-2010 01:40 AM

Oh nice :D makes me feel better about it! Thanks!