Notices

TiAL 38mm Gaskets..... NAPA/CarQuest equivalent?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 07:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TiAL 38mm Gaskets..... NAPA/CarQuest equivalent?

something worth maybe adding to the FAQ later on, but I'm in need of 4 new 38mm wastegate gaskets. I remember reading a thread on here a while back (3-4 years ago) that had a lot of gasket info and where to find replacements right away, but i sure cant find it now.

TIA
Old 07-04-2008, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: TiAL 38mm Gaskets..... NAPA/CarQuest equivalent? (TurboSam)

Just make a gasket with high-temp RTV. Everyone I know does it that way and it holds better than any garbage paper gasket will.
Old 07-04-2008, 07:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: TiAL 38mm Gaskets..... NAPA/CarQuest equivalent? (xxbulaxx)

You can buy sheets of gasket material and DIY.
Old 07-04-2008, 12:23 PM

Default Re: TiAL 38mm Gaskets..... NAPA/CarQuest equivalent? (Tippyman)

LightningMotorsports.com has the new metal design one's and they are pretty cheap too at $4.59 a pop
Old 07-05-2008, 06:24 AM

Default Re: TiAL 38mm Gaskets..... NAPA/CarQuest equivalent? (hotrod99)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hotrod99 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">LightningMotorsports.com has the new metal design one's and they are pretty cheap too at $4.59 a pop[/QUOTE
kinda need them before i do to the dyno on tuesday. currently my wastegates are running open, but i want to dump them back into the downpipe.

[QUOTE=xxbulaxx]Just make a gasket with high-temp RTV. Everyone I know does it that way and it holds better than any garbage paper gasket will.</TD></TR></TABLE>
i dont really like that idea. the highest temp RTV i can find it for 700 intermittent. EGTs usually are over 1000 in a well tuned car.
Old 07-05-2008, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

check these guys out for gaskets and stuff.

http://www.atpturbo.com/Mercha...e=GSK
Old 07-05-2008, 08:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (grndcont)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by grndcont &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">check these guys out for gaskets and stuff.

http://www.atpturbo.com/Mercha...e=GSK</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats where i got all my metal gaskets from when i had a 38mm dope stuff, never had a problem
Old 07-05-2008, 09:48 PM

Default Re: (blinx9900)

again, thanks guys, but i know where to ORDER them. im looking for some place i might can pick them up locally. im going to the dyno on tuesday and need them asap. i will prolly just end up re-using the ones i have tho.
Old 07-06-2008, 02:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TurboSam)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TurboSam &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">again, thanks guys, but i know where to ORDER them. im looking for some place i might can pick them up locally. im going to the dyno on tuesday and need them asap. i will prolly just end up re-using the ones i have tho.</TD></TR></TABLE>

maybe try some copper spray on top of the old ones if you reuse them.

Marcus
Old 07-06-2008, 06:49 AM

Default Re: (ScorpioMk)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ScorpioMk &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

maybe try some copper spray on top of the old ones if you reuse them.

Marcus</TD></TR></TABLE>

dang ole dang. thats a good idea.

i looked t the copper spray thinking i could use it on the surfaces themselves, using it on the old gaskets never even occured to me
Old 07-06-2008, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i just cut out sheets of copper into gaskets and give em a spray of copper spray. sometimes you can even reuse them

only bitch about doing this is sometimes when u drill through the copper sheet it will tear and crinkle.. i just use a bit of round bar to flatten it back out
Old 07-06-2008, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Is it necessary to run a gasket for the wastegate? I've read that people don't really need to, assuming the surface is completely flat.
Old 07-06-2008, 11:59 AM

Default Re: (Rickdrizzle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rickdrizzle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Is it necessary to run a gasket for the wastegate? I've read that people don't really need to, assuming the surface is completely flat.</TD></TR></TABLE>

im sure this will offend someone, but i dont want to take the chance of a leak by assuming the surfaces were 100% flat. im a sure they are close, but i dont really like the idea of some doo-doo exhaust leak sound on my 350Z, if people want that on their civics, that cool, but i dont like the sound, part of why i am going from atmo dumps to re-circ.
Old 07-06-2008, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Rickdrizzle)

I don't think there are any gaskets you can get from a parts store for a 38mm. The metal composite gaskets sheets they sell for exhaust gaskets don't really hold up either. especially on the pressurized side. thin copper can work, anneal it before you install. I always just lap or file the surfaces and bolt it up. Sometimes with a thin coat of rtv if I dont want any of those black carbon trickles when the parts are cold. BTW, This worked well on lots of STIs, vipers, supras and the like. Those guys get pissed when they have to drive 200 miles back to you to have a gasket replaced...honda guys love leaks
Old 07-06-2008, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Bailhatch)

I just use the copper RTV you can pick up at autozone and a gasket that I've had for god knows how long. Works fine for me.
Old 07-06-2008, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TurboSam &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

im sure this will offend someone, but i dont want to take the chance of a leak by assuming the surfaces were 100% flat. im a sure they are close, but i dont really like the idea of some doo-doo exhaust leak sound on my 350Z, if people want that on their civics, that cool, but i dont like the sound, part of why i am going from atmo dumps to re-circ.</TD></TR></TABLE>

chances are you will be replacing that gasket alot.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Every gasket surface should be checked for flatness, even if it uses a thick gasket. It doesn't take laser equipment to check anyways, just a decent straight-edge.

The one thing I have issue with regarding that statement isn't that you're stereotyping Honda people, its that you seemed to forget that turbo cars aren't silent in general. At least not ours, we don't have a cheezy MAF sensor to help reduce intake sounds.
Old 07-07-2008, 05:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (HiProfile)

wg's with gaskets leak more often than with out. i "might" put one on the dump side if its going to be recirced just because there isnt a fire ring, but on the manifold side there is a fire ring so its not gona leak so long as the mess is flat, if its not flat a gasket is going to blow out anyway, so just make sure its flat
Old 07-07-2008, 06:28 AM

Default Re: (HiProfile)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HiProfile &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

The one thing I have issue with regarding that statement isn't that you're stereotyping Honda people, its that you seemed to forget that turbo cars aren't silent in general. At least not ours, we don't have a cheezy MAF sensor to help reduce intake sounds. </TD></TR></TABLE>
i used to own a turbo honda, and most people with tubro hondas flaunt the fact that its turbo and dont care if there is extra noise. i will also say, turbo cars in general are NOT loud. my car got a LOT quieter when i put the turbos on. a turbo actually reduces exhaust noise
Old 07-07-2008, 07:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Think the copper spray and old gaskets the best idea I've read so far. Problem with it is that most auto parts stores like checkers or autozone carry STOCK or O.E.M. REPLACEMENT parts. And between you and me, I don't think I've found a stock turbo'd car of any brand with external dumps that would be feasible to sell the parts for at your local parts store(s).

And you two quit with the **** match. Considering what your 350z cost you, and then to boost it, I think it'd be ok to have a Civic that's a little louder

You get the girls with a car payment.

Honda owners get the cops with the saved money in fuel economy to pay our tickets.

And some of us like the louder atmo dumps and what not. It scares the 350z's away so we don't have to waste our time
Old 07-07-2008, 02:54 PM

Default Re: (sohczcturbo)

the dumps give an intimidating sound, and they really do turns heads, but after a couple weeks i realized it was getting me way to much attention around town. but now that i want to quiet them down, i dont want to hear some exhaust leak that makes it sound like a go-kart.

oh, and i dont have car payments on my 350Z
Old 07-07-2008, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lol you lucky s.o.b.
I can understand what your saying honestly. Sometimes I wish the honda's would be a little more subtle, just for attentions sake. But then again there's nothing like sounding like a jet airplane flying by under full boost lol. It's not for everyone.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:04 PM

Default Re: (sohczcturbo)

hen i had my Prelude, it sound like a Jet fighter and and Indy car drag racing down an airstrip. it was freakin cool, but times change, lol
Old 07-07-2008, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

where are you located in NC?
Old 07-08-2008, 12:54 PM

Default Re: (JDogg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">where are you located in NC?</TD></TR></TABLE>
why?

Quick Reply: TiAL 38mm Gaskets..... NAPA/CarQuest equivalent?