Notices

Thoughts about Porting Cylinder heads...

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 11:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts about Porting Cylinder heads...

I don't know how many cars I've owned now, but I know I've had 3 of the cars ported and polished so far. One was a Mustang and I also did two B series motors. But I have also had tons of Mustangs and B swapped cars that weren't ported or anything. And honestly going off of numbers I don't see much of a difference between porting or not porting. But I literally know nothing about it. I've just always heard "a P&P'd head is better than a stock head". Yea, that makes sense but is it really worth it?

The reason I'm asking is on my current build I'm trying new things and I'm really considering having my head ported a good amount. My build is a sleeved 84mm block, cp 9's, manley rods and all the other stuff. The head is a normal B16 head. I'm using Ferrea valves and supertech valve train components. Also going to be using a victor x manifold for less torque but more power band along with a top mount with a bb sc6176rs turbo. I plan to rev to 9k plus. And that brings me to what to do with the head..

From my basic knowledge the more aggressive cam you have the more fuel/air you will/can use/need to make more power. So if I rev the snot out of it with gsr cams it'll stop making power around 8 something no matter how much it's ported. So if I go with (Insert name here) cams and DON'T port the head I'll be losing power... Right?

So that brings me back to my question. Is it really worth it? Does anyone have a good link or some personal experience on the subject because I'd love to get more than a two word answer to something like this.

Also my goals for this build are around 700+whp and somewhere in the 9's in the stripped and caged EG hatch.
Old 09-19-2010, 02:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Thoughts about Porting Cylinder heads...

Honestly, I don't really think porting the head is worth it in a turbocharged setup.

The entire point of porting a head is to basically shape the ports in a way as to maximize the amount of air that makes it into the cylinder for a given RPM range. Since an all motor setup relies soley on the negative pressure created as the piston moves downward, it's critical.

However, with a turbocharger, the turbo is what is responsible for getting air into the engine. The intake, ports, etc are all just pathways now. You will spend thousands of dollars on porting the heads just to get the same gains that you could with a few more psi of boost.
Old 09-19-2010, 03:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^
Old 09-19-2010, 04:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Its not worth it for 700HP in most cases not even 800HP. Above that it will sart to restrict the flow. But if you have the money to spend spend it. If not im sure it could be spent other places.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just finish reading great thread
Old 09-19-2010, 07:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I do agree.. Good stuff
Old 09-19-2010, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would think that for your setup, it would not be worth it due to the positive pressure your gonna have to get to your numbers. Just as EG1834 said, you could save a lot of money by just upping the boost a few more psi. The only way I would go through with the porting and polishing is if you were trying to exract as much power as possible and use as little boost as possible. Since you are going with a fully built engine from top to bottom and a good sized turbo, power per psi doesnt seem to be a concern. Now with that being said, the p&p would just be icing on the cake with all the money spent already.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've always read/heard that a port and polished head would allow the turbo to spool quicker...
Old 09-19-2010, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Good thing is everyone is pretty much saying what I hoped you'd be saying. I've had 2 b series motor P&P'd. One was an all motor b18c and it made 22xwhp, the other was basically what I'm building right now but on stock sleeves and a smaller turbo. And my mustang was also all motor. So it's looking like I'm just going to install all the valve train components and throw the head on there and see what it'll do. Thanks for the info guys.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Look in the drag sec. there is a old thread on stock ports that is good info there were a lot of guys make good numbers with stock ports. It seams to make the dif. after 800hp.