Notices

Those who have obd2 cars. How do you pass inspection?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Those who have obd2 cars. How do you pass inspection?

My question is (for those of you who have obd2 cars and are using obd1 ecus) how do you pass inspection? I live in Jersey and over here when you go for inspection at the dmv, they scan your computer to make sure you have no cel's and to make sure all of the monitors are set in. I turboed my car last year and I am using an obd1 ecu. I had a problem getting inspected so i had to switch back to an obd2 ecu. (put my stock injectors back in, and secondary o2 sensor) do you guys know of an easier way?
Old 03-10-2009, 04:13 PM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Those who have obd2 cars. How do you pass inspection?

depends on the emmissions laws, but in states like delaware where they do an obd2 readiness test, there are 3 ways,

1 be a super hacker and make a program to emulate an obd2 ecu
2 pay someone
3 put stock map, injectors in it with the stock ecu.
Old 03-10-2009, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

does anyone chip obd2 ecus? or use them to tune?
Old 03-10-2009, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

or what about if you have a built motor...you cant exactly put the stock ecu in it.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by GsrIntegra789
or what about if you have a built motor...you cant exactly put the stock ecu in it.

I ran my built motor on the stock ECU for a little while, the stock 02 should keep the afr's someone normal to get you through inspection. I will be going through the lanes later this year with all my turbo stuff on the car just running the stock injectors, map and the ECU with some sort of simulator towards the back of the exhaust.

I know a guy that just got his built motor passed with Pro-1's in the car using an LS ECU, according to him it idle'd like **** but it passed.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i live in a area that doesnt require any testing. LOVE IT! - except for the non-stop rain.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There is another way to do it, but you need to know the guy doing the inspection.
You'll need two cars. Yours and one that is the exact model as yours, except stock (obviously).
Take your stock obd2 ecu since it has your vin in it, and swap it into the other car.
They can scan the other car now and have it pass for the OBD2 reader part.
Now, all you need your car for is so they can scan the barcode on the doorpanel (or wherever it is on your car).
If you know someone with the same car, you'll be able to save yourself a lot of trouble.

^^^^Boostedcivicsir, what do you mean buy paying someone? With obd2, how can they even get around it?
Old 03-10-2009, 09:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Most OBD2 Honda's dont store the VIN (mode 9 data)..
Old 03-10-2009, 10:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by locash

I know my car doesnt, I think my ITR did.... I cant remember.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

obdII you cant tune.

and if its obdII a or b...they will just waive or say its got a faulty obd port and run an asm test for hc's and co's on cruise and idle; as if it is indeed obdI.
Old 03-11-2009, 04:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jdm602
obdII you cant tune.

and if its obdII a or b...they will just waive or say its got a faulty obd port and run an asm test for hc's and co's on cruise and idle; as if it is indeed obdI.
i wish they did that...that would make it alot easier but they didnt. they failed me for "not being able to communicate with the ecu" and i had to switch to my obd2 ecu , stock injectors and had to wait till i had at least the evap monitor ready. It was a big pain in the ***.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't know about jersey but pa is 5000mi. is emissions exempt so if you have a beater you're good to go
Old 03-11-2009, 07:20 AM

I think one of these might do the trick:
http://www.obd2cables.com/products/o...nt/simulators/
Old 03-11-2009, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by locash
Originally Posted by 96 GSR-T
I know my car doesnt, I think my ITR did.... I cant remember.
Well I have a 1996 Accord LX. How can I find out if my VIN is stored in my ECU or not? Would it show up if I used like Autozone's free obd2 reader? If my VIN is not stored, then I think I should be able to do the same thing I did in my previous post except not worry about putting m old ecu in...right?

Last edited by accord_raffi; 03-11-2009 at 08:19 AM.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i luckily live in a part of WA state that doesnt require emissions... or my uncle does anyways haha.

before i did that i ran emissions... passed everything but the idle emissions... before she got in my car she said she had an accord, after the chick asked what i had done to the car and i popped my hood and she started laughing while saying "thats definitely not the motor thats in my accord"
Old 03-11-2009, 04:59 PM
New User

may be i could help u. I do inspections. real ones i beleive u only have 4 monitors 2 out of the 4 to be set set to pass nj inspection if the car is 96 to 00. any ? just p.m. me at 8625963336 ill do my best to help u out . ill explain it aittle bet to.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

alright. thanks for the info. but what about the guys who build like a 450 hp motor. and need to get inspected. its fine to put the stock injectors and ecu back on a stock motor. but not when you have cams, pistons and stuff like that.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:50 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Most guys 450whp and over have a second car and don't get them inspected due to the low mileage they put on them, they know of someone, or they live or register in areas that don't require inspections.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

o alright thanks.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a almost the same problem. I live in Washington state and my car is registered in Vancouver where they require testing. Its a boosted 00 GSR. Im going to put in my stock injectors, MAP, OBD2 ecu, disconnect the charge piping and drive carefully to the emissions testing facility. The problem is I dont have a cat, just three inch piping from the turbo back. Is there any chance of me passing?

thanks
Old 03-12-2009, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

dam yooo thats mad gay same deal in nys u gota know someone to hook u up or just get a junk yrd sticker..... yoo just got to one of them shops in the shady part of nj and be like yo i need an inspection but it wont pass do to cells but il give u 100 bux or some ****.. they mite help u then.. g/
Old 03-12-2009, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I live in Colorado and I think the emission laws are pretty tight. I was able to pass it with an OBD1 conversion in my 99 DC2. Im not sure how I passed the OBDII to OBD1 conversion but they didnt say anything. I passed mine running 1000cc injectors on E85. I put a cat on and pulled fuel
Old 03-12-2009, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by carrnut21
I have a almost the same problem. I live in Washington state and my car is registered in Vancouver where they require testing. Its a boosted 00 GSR. Im going to put in my stock injectors, MAP, OBD2 ecu, disconnect the charge piping and drive carefully to the emissions testing facility. The problem is I dont have a cat, just three inch piping from the turbo back. Is there any chance of me passing?

thanks
Look up the defouler trick on google. It's a simple 2-4 dollar way to pass.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:58 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by b16racereg6
dam yooo thats mad gay same deal in nys u gota know someone to hook u up or just get a junk yrd sticker..... yoo just got to one of them shops in the shady part of nj and be like yo i need an inspection but it wont pass do to cells but il give u 100 bux or some ****.. they mite help u then.. g/
HUH??? Oh, let me translate, because...well...you get the idea.

Wow. That is terrible to hear. The same issue occurs to many people in New York State. Your only resolve is to either a) know of someone with the resources that are available to allow to pass inspection, (e.g. the owner/manager/employee of an inspection station), or b) you may have to travel to a junkyard and retrieve a sticker that displays the same make and model that you are attempting to pass emissions with.

To solve the situation, I myself simply traveled to an unsavory location in New Jersey that is known for performing illegal activities and services for a small profit, and requested to those that have the resources in the area to please assist me in passing emissions in my state. I explained to them that in the car's current state of condition, it will not pass due to multiple "check engine" error codes. I went further to say that I am willing to compensate you for your assistance by either paying $100 cash, or by some other reciprocated service. Using this approach, the people of ill repute may help you get what you need done. Good luck to you.

(Felt like I was on SuperHonda.com for a while.)
Old 03-12-2009, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TheShodan
HUH??? Oh, let me translate, because...well...you get the idea.

Wow. That is terrible to hear. The same issue occurs to many people in New York State. Your only resolve is to either a) know of someone with the resources that are available to allow to pass inspection, (e.g. the owner/manager/employee of an inspection station), or b) you may have to travel to a junkyard and retrieve a sticker that displays the same make and model that you are attempting to pass emissions with.

To solve the situation, I myself simply traveled to an unsavory location in New Jersey that is known for performing illegal activities and services for a small profit, and requested to those that have the resources in the area to please assist me in passing emissions in my state. I explained to them that in the car's current state of condition, it will not pass due to multiple "check engine" error codes. I went further to say that I am willing to compensate you for your assistance by either paying $100 cash, or by some other reciprocated service. Using this approach, the people of ill repute may help you get what you need done. Good luck to you.

(Felt like I was on SuperHonda.com for a while.)
No no no.. you have to talk with slanglish otherwise they might think your the pOlice!

no but really.. my county requires emissions but I live near a college town that doesn't require emissions test and apparently is ok with inspecting any vehicle no matter where your registered.

Quick Reply: Those who have obd2 cars. How do you pass inspection?