Notices

For those who have finished their turbo project.......

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2003, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default For those who have finished their turbo project.......

I know absolutely NOTHING about turbo. I want to put a turbo on my d15 but its just too complicated. I searched and read almost everything there is in ht and homemadeturbo.com but they confuse me even more. I'd like to know step by step detailed procedure but I know that most of you aren't willing to teach me and i guarantee someones gonna flame me for writing this. So heres my question: I want to run a set up like this : HF manifold, ford probe turbo or eclipse turbo, all the pipings (turbo to intercooler to intake manifold, custom exhaust) and gaskets and 450cc fuel injectors. Boost controller, spark controll, dealing with oil pan, oil line, coolant line, blah blah, they are complicated for me and i wouldnt know what parts to choose.
So read my set up, and tell me if it would work at all. Reminder: I don't wanna use boost ****, wastegate, or those spark, fuel control ****. Simple as it sounds. TURBO, PIPES, BOV, FUEL INJECTORS ONLY. Thanks for reading all that and tell me what you got to say. Thanks
Old 11-05-2003, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: For those who have finished their turbo project....... (youngwon22)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by youngwon22 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I know absolutely NOTHING about turbo. I want to put a turbo on my d15 but its just too complicated. I searched and read almost everything there is in ht and homemadeturbo.com but they confuse me even more. I'd like to know step by step detailed procedure but I know that most of you aren't willing to teach me and i guarantee someones gonna flame me for writing this. So heres my question: I want to run a set up like this : HF manifold, ford probe turbo or eclipse turbo, all the pipings (turbo to intercooler to intake manifold, custom exhaust) and gaskets and 450cc fuel injectors. Boost controller, spark controll, dealing with oil pan, oil line, coolant line, blah blah, they are complicated for me and i wouldnt know what parts to choose.
So read my set up, and tell me if it would work at all. Reminder: I don't wanna use boost ****, wastegate, or those spark, fuel control ****. Simple as it sounds. TURBO, PIPES, BOV, FUEL INJECTORS ONLY. Thanks for reading all that and tell me what you got to say. Thanks </TD></TR></TABLE>

nm
Old 11-05-2003, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Seems like you need to do some more reading. Skimping on **** when you boost is not going to end well. You WILL need a wastegate and you should buy a BOV if you want to protect your turbo. Get Corky Bell's Maximum Boost (it's a book) and read that thing cover to cover. By the time you have done that you should be ready to boost.
Old 11-05-2003, 08:05 PM
I live under a rock

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by youngwon22 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Reminder: I don't wanna use boost ****, wastegate, or those spark, fuel control ****. Simple as it sounds. TURBO, PIPES, BOV, FUEL INJECTORS ONLY. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well you kinda need a wastegate buddy, unless you want to blow it up 30seconds down the road.....oh and fuel management is cruical also, don't ever think that a turbo is a simple process, if you do here's your wake up call.. bascially you want a junkyard setup from what you are saying.... not the route i'd ever take, but hey whatever....... 450cc injectors are way to big, you'll need custom exhaust/ IC pipes like you said, the pan needs tapped, return and feed lines run etc.... my best suggestion is to talk to someone in person about everything so they can physically show you whats going on, also the fact that none of us feel like putting a step by step turbo reference up, when you can search and find pretty much everything you need, since its' discussed all the time....... but again, since you want a cheap setup and don't know anything, try going and talking to a shop that does turbo installs, they can give you the run down, and show you most of the time what to get mainly, or just ask them what they do to their cars...... easy enough
Old 11-05-2003, 09:38 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by youngwon22 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Reminder: I don't wanna use boost ****, wastegate, or those spark, fuel control ****.</TD></TR></TABLE>

goodluck
Old 11-05-2003, 10:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: For those who have finished their turbo project....... (ndogg)

LOL
Old 11-05-2003, 10:44 PM

Default Re: For those who have finished their turbo project....... (rOby)

You need the "fuel ****". With excess air, you need excess fuel. Just 450CC injectors isn't going to manage the extra air coming. Besides, anyone who has a turbo, would know... A turbo project is never really finished...
Old 11-05-2003, 10:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: For those who have finished their turbo project....... (aznxphreak)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by aznxphreak &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You need the "fuel ****". With excess air, you need excess fuel. Just 450CC injectors isn't going to manage the extra air coming. Besides, anyone who has a turbo, would know... A turbo project is never really finished...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually, that's not true (just to confuse the guy). I had a flakey ecu program on my car and went back to running the stock rom for a day or so, and you can totally boost. It just runs pig rich and might through a code after a few psi...I found it amusing
Old 11-05-2003, 10:57 PM

Default Re: For those who have finished their turbo project....... (aznxphreak)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by aznxphreak &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Besides, anyone who has a turbo, would know... A turbo project is never really finished...</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 11-06-2003, 11:54 AM
New User

hey man, i think you should just get a "kit"
Old 11-06-2003, 11:56 AM

Default Re: For those who have finished their turbo project....... (integrx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Reminder: I don't wanna use boost ****, wastegate, or those spark, fuel control ****.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Sounds like you got it all figured out. Go for it and tell us how it goes!
Old 11-06-2003, 12:15 PM

Default Re: For those who have finished their turbo project....... (spoolinlude)

Lets help this guy, not leave jackass remarks! Anywhoo...

I understand what you are saying. Basiclly you understand all of what you need, but the oil lines, fuel management, and some other lil things are kinda confusing, so u just want to take the simple route.

Well, as other have stated, you have to have a wastegate, no way around it. The wastegate keeps ur turbo from spinning infinately and producing waaaay to much boost. There are two wastegates, internal and external. I think what you want is an internal. An internal is attached to the turbo itself, and doesnt require having a wastegate flange on the turbo manifold.

As far as just using bigger injectors, you cant. You have no way to control them. Fuel (and ignition) management is the SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT PART of a turbo system. If u skim on this, u might as well kiss the motor good bye. Bad management is prolly the #1 reason why FI motors blow up. Please, you can skimp on everything else, but dont skimp on management! You will thank me later. Plenty of people here have had to learn the hard way. Lets atleast learn from thier mistakes.

Old 11-06-2003, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: For those who have finished their turbo project....... (WebGeek)

From what ive seen it is better to get a swap than to build, turbo, and tune, a d series.
Old 11-06-2003, 12:29 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by youngwon22 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I want to run a set up like this : HF manifold, ford probe turbo or eclipse turbo, all the pipings (turbo to intercooler to intake manifold, custom exhaust) and gaskets and 450cc fuel injectors. Boost controller, spark controll, dealing with oil pan, oil line, coolant line, blah blah, they are complicated for me and i wouldnt know what parts to choose.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Here is what i would do if i were you and trying to keep on a budget:

HF Manifold
T3 60/63/60 trim turbo (Ford/Merkur) oil cooled/internal Wastegate = 50-250
Custom Downpipe = ~60 (if u can weld) - 200 (have made)
DIY IC piping = 50-180
IC = 50 (dsm side mount) - 300 (FMIC)
BOV = 40 (dsm) - 200
DSM 450's = 50-125
------------------------------------
Total = 300 - 1255

Now, the management is where u dont want to screw around. Here are just a few options:

Hondata w/dyno tuning = ~800 (easiest, prolly the most reccomended)
DIY Chipping plus wideband= 450 (if u are confused on turbos, this prolly isnt an option for you)
AFC Hack = 150-250 (i personally dont reccomend this, but others would)

The point is to go ahead and be cheap with the components. You can alway upgrade down the road as you have time and money. With the management, do it right the first time so u still have a motor to turbo! I am sure others will chip in with other management options.

Old 11-06-2003, 12:31 PM

Default Re: For those who have finished their turbo project....... (m3bluegsr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by m3bluegsr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">From what ive seen it is better to get a swap than to build, turbo, and tune, a d series. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, i would agree with this if you specificly stated the D15, but there are plenty of fast turbo D16Z6/Y8's running around.
Old 11-06-2003, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: For those who have finished their turbo project....... (WebGeek)

Bolt turbo to HF manifold. Bolt HF manifold on car. Run flexible exhaust tubing from turbo directly to intake manifold. Clamp down. Plumb oil line in to turbo. Let exhaust dump where it pleases. Then have someone weld that "plunger looking thing" so the door is shut (all the time) for this will promote fastest spool up, as well as maximum boost.

Get in car. Start car. Floor car. DO NOT LET OFF GAS. Car will last for next 100,000 miles.

J/k- Reasearch, dear watson.

Modified by Johnyquest at 9:19 PM 11/6/2003
Old 11-06-2003, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

did i mention i guarantee theres gonna be people flaming? If you dont have answers to my question than shut up cause i wrote this to learn not to get pissed Hope you understand that and i dont give a **** if you know more **** then i do and thats why im asking these things so lets make peace and put down our guns
Old 11-06-2003, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: For those who have finished their turbo project....... (Johnyquest)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Johnyquest &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Bolt turbo to HF manifold. Bolt HF manifold on car. Run flexible exhaust tubing from turbo directly to intake manifold. Clamp down. Plumb oil line in to turbo. Let exhaust dump where it pleases. Then have someone weld that "plunger looking thing" so the door is shut (all the time) for this will promote fastest spool up, as well as maximum boost.

Get in car. Start car. Floor car. DO NOT LET OFF GAS. Car will last for next 100,000 miles.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ooo bad advice!...Dude..I was in your shoes about 3 years ago... I was debating on either doing a full mecha tune (NA tune), a turbo tune, or SC. I had heard so may conflicting stories from biased people with different goals. Also, Ben was have a HUGE sale on Drag III turbo kits at the time so I was even more influenced.

I read almost every installation guide and post regarding turbos at the time and learned A LOT. But I still didn't have the confidence to install it on my own, so I got a friend to help. I was book smart but didn't have the hands on ability to anything so my buddy did most of the work with the aid of a professional mechanic.

A year later, my engine blew. Combination of overboosting, and bad fuel setup. 2 of my pistons had shattered completely. I got in contact with Larry at Endyn and he "educated" me on the basics of engine dynamics and why his pistons are superior to anything out there. I bought his parts, took them back to Japan, and had a Ferrari mechanic rebuild my engine completely. The car ran like cherry after that. But it needed to be tuned. I was getting 260hp to the wheels on a self-tuned ECU.

I took it to a garage owned professional race car driver. SHE completely reprogrammed my PFC. When I got it back, I was making 293whp/230lbs of torque in 90 degree heat with 100% humidity. She also said my injectors were o small to do any better than 300whp.

NOW, its November..the temperature in Japan has been averaging between 70-75F and the car is an absolute animal!! I have the boost controller turned all the way down and I am still having to grab the steering wheel really firmly when boosting. If I switch over to high boost, I am literally shiftiing every half second to second to keep it from bouncing off the lmiter.

Went off on a tangent, but the moral is,

1.RESEACH!! Don't confine yourself within H-T or even Honda sites. People are too biasesd and opinionated here. I went to Miata sites, and Mazda sites and read posts on how the did it as well...

2. Don't just read success stories! They won't do you any good at all. Read all of the disaster stories as well...learn from other's mistakes or you will be forced to learn from your own.

3. Have a goal and plan in mind and buy parts accordingly. Don't let people try to vconvince you to buy things you'll never reap the benefits from. If you don't need it don't buy it.

4. Don't start the install unless you have all the parts ready to go. Unless you can afford a lot of downtime, don't half heatedly start a turbo install.

5. Know that installation may take a lot of time. Don't thinkk you can finish in a weekend! Unless you have a pro helping you out plan for some downtime. Rent, borrow, or buy a cheap clunker if you have to. You might be using that car a lot to do part runs!

6. Know that installation may take a lot of MONEY. Buy all your parts, pay for the labor if you have to and have at least if not more $1000 extra to cover incidentals. case in point: I had $3000 to cover incidentals and I just about used it all.

7. Patience. This is crucial during the planning and building phases. Don't take short cuts and don't rush!

Good luck
Old 11-06-2003, 03:12 PM

Default Re: (youngwon22)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by youngwon22 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">did i mention i guarantee theres gonna be people flaming? If you dont have answers to my question than shut up cause i wrote this to learn not to get pissed Hope you understand that and i dont give a **** if you know more **** then i do and thats why im asking these things so lets make peace and put down our guns </TD></TR></TABLE>

the best thing to do is ignore people like that, dont swear and cuss or u will just start a flame war. just read the posts above of people who are trying to help you out, and go from there
Old 11-08-2003, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (WebGeek)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by WebGeek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

the best thing to do is ignore people like that, dont swear and cuss or u will just start a flame war. just read the posts above of people who are trying to help you out, and go from there</TD></TR></TABLE>

good thinkin, but actions are harder than talks
Old 11-08-2003, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Read this:

http://www.cse.uconn.edu/~yele....html