Notices

For those that TUNE TURBOEDIT; EXTREME HELP NEEDED INSIDE

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
Default For those that TUNE TURBOEDIT; EXTREME HELP NEEDED INSIDE

First here is my situation. I do not do any of my tuning, I have been taking it somewhere and let them handle it. The car idles terribly. It was taking a little longer to start and once it started and warmed to reg tepm. the idle speed would drop from 1k down to maybe 600, and have a little bounce to it, not steady at all.

I am on my new turbo setup and have made 3 trips to the dyno total for tuning.
1st trip -on my old 15G setup, had it tuned and idled fine, like stock. He asked me to bring it back so he could try datalogging it.
2nd trip- I brought it back for datalogging (this is when the problem started). The car began to idle badly and would die sometimes after you ran it hard and let off.
I then changed setups to a bigger turbo and external WG (trying to get rid of the boost creep)
3rd trip. Now on the 50 trim T3/T4, making good power with no creep, but still has a terrible idle.

What seems to me to be going on is that it is getting to much fuel at idle once the FI valve shuts off. Kind of bogging it down. I have changed the fuel pump, EACV, MAP, main relay and today the alternator, none of which have brought any real change.

I called the guy that tunes it after I changed my alternator today and he said he is 100% sure it is in the tune but he doesn't know where in the map to change the fuel for the idle.
My question is, what can be done to correct the idle problem thru turboedit? While driving the car is fine, but once your off the gas, the idle is just ****.

EDIT-It will also idle terribly on cold starts too

Sorry for the rambling but this is really starting to bug me...alot. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Modified by Autoworks at 2:12 AM 6/13/2006
Old 06-12-2006, 04:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: For those that TUNE TURBOEDIT; EXTREME HELP NEEDED INSIDE (Autoworks)

BTW, my setup is...
OBD0 DOHC ZC
Precision 440 injectors
Garrett T3/T4 50 trim
SLS shorty manifold
2.5" DP flared to 3"
Tial 38mm wastegate w/7 psi spring
Warlboro 255 pump
Old 06-12-2006, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: For those that TUNE TURBOEDIT; EXTREME HELP NEEDED INSIDE (Autoworks)

bump for help from the night crew
Old 06-12-2006, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are AFR's and timing at idle conditions? I'm gonna guess it's too lean. Have a bin?
Old 06-12-2006, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: For those that TUNE TURBOEDIT; EXTREME HELP NEEDED INSIDE (adseguy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by adseguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What are AFR's and timing at idle conditions? I'm gonna guess it's too lean. Have a bin?</TD></TR></TABLE>
expletive, I don't know what they are at idle. He was doing that on the laptop in the car, I was outside the car or walking around when he was trying to figure it out. Why do you say it's too lean?
Now that I think about it, he did lean it out somehow. Because after my 2nd trip to the dyno he had it to rich to where I could crank my car and black would just dump out the exhaust (still have the spot on my car cover) and the exhaust would be very wet. Now its not. I know my FP gauge sits right on 40psi with the vacuum on.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:13 PM

your fp might be way to high
Old 06-12-2006, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kraig8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">your fp might be way to high</TD></TR></TABLE>
I don't think thats it (not ruling your suggestion out), but its 40 on and 50 off vacume I beleive. It was higher than that (50/60) but I turned it down before I took it back for the last dyno session. I thought it was too high at idle when it was at 50/60)
Old 06-12-2006, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if he is a tuner, he will fix that by putting a wideband into it and editing the colums where the car idles corresponding to the right column header under vacumm
Old 06-12-2006, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (USDM 4G VTEC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by USDM 4G VTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if he is a tuner, he will fix that by putting a wideband into it and editing the colums where the car idles corresponding to the right column header under vacumm</TD></TR></TABLE>
That seemed like the logical thing, I was thinking the same thing. For some reason it must not be just "that" easy for him to do. He always uses a wideband btw.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You might want to cut/paste 0-700 RPM (or so) from a stock fuel map into your tune then use the built-in tools to adjust the map for your injectors...that worked for me on a non-turbo B16 when I was having idle problems.

Have you done the basic checks such as looking for a vaccum leak?
Old 06-13-2006, 03:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: For those that TUNE TURBOEDIT; EXTREME HELP NEEDED INSIDE (URNVS)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by URNVS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You might want to cut/paste 0-700 RPM (or so) from a stock fuel map into your tune then use the built-in tools to adjust the map for your injectors...that worked for me on a non-turbo B16 when I was having idle problems.

Have you done the basic checks such as looking for a vaccum leak?</TD></TR></TABLE>
That sounds like a good idea, I'll ask him about the cut and paste today..

I have checked for vacuum leaks, checked, double checked and triple checked. The only lines that are OE are the short one running to the map, which I am going to replace today in case there was some crack in it I missed. The PCV line is stock, but I see nothing wrong with it. All the other lines are new, thicker, and clamped or tied on each end.
Old 06-13-2006, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: For those that TUNE TURBOEDIT; EXTREME HELP NEEDED INSIDE (URNVS)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by URNVS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You might want to cut/paste 0-700 RPM (or so) from a stock fuel map into your tune then use the built-in tools to adjust the map for your injectors...that worked for me on a non-turbo B16 when I was having idle problems.

Have you done the basic checks such as looking for a vaccum leak?</TD></TR></TABLE>

i dont think you can scale just a certain area for different injectors...it will scale the entire fuel map.

Autoworks - post up your bin if you have it.....
Old 06-13-2006, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: For those that TUNE TURBOEDIT; EXTREME HELP NEEDED INSIDE (fastcrxsi90)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fastcrxsi90 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i dont think you can scale just a certain area for different injectors...it will scale the entire fuel map.

Autoworks - post up your bin if you have it.....
</TD></TR></TABLE>
I'm going to try to get the bin today.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: For those that TUNE TURBOEDIT; EXTREME HELP NEEDED INSIDE (fastcrxsi90)

Right, I should have said scale the stock map first then copy/paste