Notices

Thinking of removing the jrsc and going turbo... comments/suggestions welcome

Old 11-25-2001, 06:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of removing the jrsc and going turbo... comments/suggestions welcome

Hey guys, I used to frequent this board alot... not so much this forum, but this board in general, anways...

My current setup: 94 gsr, jrsc @6psi, walbro gss-342, comptech header, carsound cat, itr catback, 3" short-ram.

Unfortunately winter is quickly approaching and I live in Ohio I was thinking of removing the jrsc for the winter... and then the thought hit me why not just sell the jrsc and keep the money?! then i realized that my car wouldn't be fast enough and I started thinking about going turbo in spring.

so, heres where you guys come in

I figured I could sell my complete "performance" setup that I listed above, and then pick up a drag3 and the necessities come springtime. How much money am I talking here? What all MUST I have?

Also what are the advtanges/disadvantages? I'm sure theres advantages ... but are they any disadvantages?

reply here, or email me (mikey@bili.org)

ps. the car has 125k and has stock internals, the compression was 200 across the block at 110k miles. the blower has been on for almost 5k miles.
Old 11-25-2001, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Thinking of removing the jrsc and going turbo... comments/suggestions welcome (lilmikey77)

the advantage of the turbo will be that you'll actually be making lots of power for the money that you just spent, as opposed to the JRSC.
Old 11-25-2001, 07:16 PM

Default Re: Thinking of removing the jrsc and going turbo... comments/suggestions welcome (TurboInteg95)

I dont want to start (gasp!) yet another jrsc vs turbo debate... Im just trying to gather some information

I had a 95 talon tsi awd before so I'm pretty familiar with turbos, how they work, etc. Now, I've got a jrsc on my gsr and I know the probs, etc.

My main question is this... I believe the drag3 kits go for like $3k, right? so i can dump 3k and go weeeeee!... right? or will i need to dump more money on necessities?

not to get into another battle, but, like on the jrsc setup... you need a bigger fuel pump, it doesn't come with the kit, but you need it. so theres another $120 (or whatever). and the jrsc kit runs good, but to squeeze some more power and driveability you could go with the map controller, the jr btc, and the like, etc.

I'll obviously need a bigger exhaust with the drag3, right? does it come with like a 2.5" downpipe?

thanks again,
-mike

PS. FWIW, I'll be doing the install myself.

[Modified by lilmikey77, 11:18 PM 11/25/2001]
Old 11-25-2001, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Thinking of removing the jrsc and going turbo... comments/suggestions welcome (lilmikey77)

Don't think....DO!
Old 11-25-2001, 07:46 PM
Texas B*tch!

Default Re: Thinking of removing the jrsc and going turbo... comments/suggestions welcome (turbocoupe)

You should have everything you need to slap the baby on, but many people don't like some of the parts that come w/ the drag setup and they choose to replace it w/ other parts. Everything should match up though otherwise, and buying other parts really isn't needed unless you choose to do so.
Old 11-25-2001, 11:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Thinking of removing the jrsc and going turbo... comments/suggestions welcome (ForcedAccord)

Dont bother with it. Leave the Blower on, upgrade to 10-11psi, some injectors and an AFC. That is all you need to do. That motor will handle that no problem. It will run good too. No hassles, just a pulley swap and you are finished. You could sell your blower for around 1800-2000, but its gonna cost you like another 1000 to finish the turbo setup.
Old 11-26-2001, 12:50 AM

Default Re: Thinking of removing the jrsc and going turbo... comments/suggestions welcome (Blown90hatcH)

well.... i would put both of them on the teg..... like the meguiars itr.... so you have low end and high end power ......

but considering your financial status.... just go with the drag III.... i bet you could get a good amount for the jrsc on ebay or somethin....just my opinion...
Old 11-26-2001, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Thinking of removing the jrsc and going turbo... comments/suggestions welcome (maxracing)

well.... i would put both of them on the teg..... like the meguiars itr.... so you have low end and high end power ......
i just seriously hope that was a joke