Notices

Thinking about putting my stock muffler on my car. Thoughts? Power loss?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2002, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about putting my stock muffler on my car. Thoughts? Power loss?

I have a custom 2.5" all the way back mandrel bent exhaust with a test pipe and Apex i N1 style turbo muffler. Its just WAY too loud. Im thinking about just welding my stock muffler on...ya it might hinder some flow, but how bad can it be?

It will provide a steath look and be very quiet. I know a guy with a WRX with a turbo back exhaust and he didnt like the muffler so he put his stock back on. His car ran better times with the stock muffler on. I know comparing these 2 cars is far fetched...but still.

I figure my only other option is getting a free flow cat or different muffler, both which will affect flow as well.

thoughts?
Old 07-11-2002, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Thinking about putting my stock muffler on my car. Thoughts? Power loss? (RATEDR)

I had the same issue. 2.25 all the way back with a straight-though muffler. I got a Borla Turbo muffler for $50 (on sale) and put a stock-sized tip on. The idle is PERFECTLY quite and you can barely hear it at cruising speed, but still gives some pretty good volume at WOT and is still a straight through design! no baffles. I'd suggest that. It sounds really nice too. like a stock performance muffler ala. Porsche or so.
Old 07-12-2002, 06:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Thinking about putting my stock muffler on my car. Thoughts? Power loss? (ion_four)

Did you buy that Borla muffler on the internet or at your local muffler shop?

I wonder what putting a resonator in would do for sound?
Old 07-13-2002, 02:34 PM

Default Re: Thinking about putting my stock muffler on my car. Thoughts? Power loss? (RATEDR)

i think a resonator will help, but don't forget that alot of that noise is coming from the dump tube. it's just dumping straight into the atmosphere with nothing muffling it. i wonder if the dump tube dumped into the downpipe if it would be alot quieter? i think it would. but remember, the louder the better.
Old 07-13-2002, 02:46 PM

Default Re: Thinking about putting my stock muffler on my car. Thoughts? Power loss? (dextR)

i think a resonator will help, but don't forget that alot of that noise is coming from the dump tube. it's just dumping straight into the atmosphere with nothing muffling it. i wonder if the dump tube dumped into the downpipe if it would be alot quieter? i think it would. but remember, the louder the better.
dumping into the downpipe will also hinder performance, I also like my car loud but some people really have problems with cops and it does get annoying at hightway speeds if the car if full of people and trying to talk. I have an arospeed muffler that is pretty loud and it came with a tip that I put in to make it as quiet as stock, maybe somethign like that would be good for you?
Old 07-13-2002, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I bought the muffler on the net. forgot where. it was a pretty small lookin shop/site, but they had a great deal on the 2.25 for some reason.