Notices

Think I might try to piece a kit together instead of Drag III, what do you think of my list?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2002, 05:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Think I might try to piece a kit together instead of Drag III, what do you think of my list?

I was pretty much set on a drag III for my 01 GSR, but I think I could piece together a cutom kit for a lot cheaper. See if my pricing seems about right t3/t4 turbo $750, exhaust manigfold $500, bov $250, wastegate $250, intercooler (max-rev on here now for $575). So, let's just say this comes to a little over $2,000, with a few hundred for custom pipes and such, I'm still like 600-700 cheaper than drag III? I don't need an FMU or anything cause I think I"m gonna go the hondata route? Is it difficult to find a shop that will do this for me? Any input either good or bad would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 04-16-2002, 05:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Think I might try to piece a kit together instead of Drag III, what do you think of my list? (ja

Guy, if you think 2 grand is going to land you a turbo kit, your're dreaming. Go Home.

* Before boost: People told me "Turbo is expensive." I said, "Yeah, I know."
HA ! No, I didn't know, it doesn't hit you until much later

After boost: Now I know, and I will tell you, " Guy, turbo is expensive."

Heh heh, I am soo tired today...

Don't forget, boost gauge, vaccum lines, exhaust system, new stage2 or higher clutch, EGT, EGT gauge, OBD I ECU for hondata, tuning, and more and more and more.. also don't forget $$ for lots of gas and a couple of speeding tickets.

[Modified by X2BOARD, 9:15 AM 4/16/2002]
Old 04-16-2002, 05:14 AM

Default Re: Think I might try to piece a kit together instead of Drag III, what do you think of my list? (ja

Dude, if you think 2 grand is going to land you a turbo kit, your're dreaming. Go Home.
So what else am I missing that is gonna to really jack up the price? I know it will be more than $2,000, that was just the figure for the main parts before I have all the custom piping done.
Old 04-16-2002, 05:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

wait till drag 4 comes out and then decide.......all the drag 3 prices will plummet and u can pick it up then

or if u wanna wait............wait for the next turbo groupbuy......you'll save $300
Old 04-16-2002, 05:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Modified my post above... re-read it...
Old 04-16-2002, 05:20 AM

Yeah, I understand the "total price" will be way more than $2,000. I think I should have been a little more clear. I"m comparing just the price of the Drag III kit compared to what I could piece together, not all the little extras I'll need. I realize I need a lot more stuff than just the kit I already have a clutchnet stage II clutch, and will probably have another 1,000 in obdI swap w/ harness and stage 2b hondata. Sorry, didn't mean to confuse you guys, I"m not stupid enough to think I can get this whole thing rolling safetly for $2,000
Old 04-16-2002, 05:21 AM

wait till drag 4 comes out and then decide.......
when???? when when when when when??? bah!
Old 04-16-2002, 05:21 AM

wait till drag 4 comes out and then decide.......all the drag 3 prices will plummet and u can pick it up then

or if u wanna wait............wait for the next turbo groupbuy......you'll save $300
I thought drag 4 kits were gonna be for like the new preludes and stuff like that, will there be a new/better kit for the GSR? When are they expected out, I think I remember hearing sometime this summer?
Old 04-16-2002, 05:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

this summer...........no one, not even ben knows/will tell which month.
Old 04-16-2002, 05:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You also have to consider the convenience of the Drag kit. It is a pre assembled (snap on -n- go) kit and is designed for your car, no troubles. Despite some people that have this kit and make 'decent' power, with the proper EMS, ie: Hondata as you are going for, the Drag kit will f*&k some sh%t up... in other words... it will make a large amount of power and will fit and look like it belongs there. I would say save the headache and start off with the turbo kit as your 1st. Overall, it's worth the $$.
Old 04-16-2002, 05:51 AM

You also have to consider the convenience of the Drag kit. It is a pre assembled (snap on -n- go) kit and is designed for your car, no troubles. Despite some people that have this kit and make 'decent' power, with the proper EMS, ie: Hondata as you are going for, the Drag kit will f*&k some sh%t up... in other words... it will make a large amount of power and will fit and look like it belongs there. I would say save the headache and start off with the turbo kit as your 1st. Overall, it's worth the $$.
Yeah, that's kinda what I thought, but I just am always like if I saved $500 bucks then i could use that for something else on my car, and I just thought maybe I could actualy get better components like exhaust manifold etc than come with the drag kits. But, I think I'd better off just getting the Drag III, and then just upgrade or swap out parts later on when I re-build and crank up the boost!
Old 04-16-2002, 06:00 AM
New User

I didn't even read the other responses, but I'll give you my opinion on this. Buy the kit! It's so much easier!
Old 04-16-2002, 06:28 AM
New User

Well, the Hondata is going to add a lot to the price because you WILL need bigger injectors and an adjustable FPR. An upgraded fuel pump is also a VERY good idea. Keep all of those things in mind when considering the total cost my friend. Custom can be relatively cheap, or quite expensive depending on how exactly you piece it together. Peace.
Old 04-16-2002, 08:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't even read the other responses, but I'll give you my opinion on this. Buy the kit! It's so much easier!
Ok well if your gonna get a custom kit, make sure you get your turbo from Majestic Turbo in texas. They bring customer service to a whole new level I have never dealt with anyone as patient, informative and extremely friendly as Kevin. Make sure to ask for him.

But I do suggest just buying the whole kit at once, save your *** a lot of trouble and time.....just like everyone said

[Modified by intekragsr, 5:14 PM 4/16/2002]
Old 04-23-2002, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Its gonna cost you almost $3000 once you finally get everything. You didnt have the FMU and the fuel pump. as well as the steel braided lines.
Im doing the kit at $2795 right now and thats with shipping, boost guage, and NGK plugs.

Email me if you have any questions.
crex22@exospeed.com
Old 04-23-2002, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you want to piece together a kit, the things you need are the following (which come standard with the Drag gen 3 kits):
Turbonetics T3/04e hybrid turbocharger
4 into 1 cast turbo manifold
Turbonetics Deltagate wastegate
Drag 2.5 inch down pipe
Wastegate dump tube
Spearco front mount intercooler
Chrome one piece intercooler and turbo piping
Bosch High flow performance fuel pump
Vortech boost dependent fuel pressure regulator (fmu)
HKS Super Sequential blow-off valve
All necessary plumbing
MAP bypass valves
High flow intake filter and piping

If you want to piece together a kit, make sure you get everything and dont leave anything out. If you need a kit, email me, my friend is selling a new one.

[Modified by GudeH23a, 4:36 PM 4/23/2002]

[Modified by GudeH23a, 5:32 PM 4/23/2002]
Old 04-23-2002, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

He is planning on going with a Hondata. He doent need the fuel stuff from the Drag kit, as he is going to be getting rid of that anyway. The cost of a boost gauge will be the same regardless of whether he purchases the Drag or goes custom. And since he plans on going Hondata either way, he will have to buy the injectors anyway. Additionally, unless he gets it included he will still have to buy the Tial for the Drag kit.

The things which do seem missing from your list are the little things like the dump tube, oil fittings, oil lines etc. You will still probably want at least a Walbro gss342 with the Hondata. Your prices look all about right.
Old 04-23-2002, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The things which do seem missing from your list are the little things like the dump tube, oil fittings, oil lines etc.
Yes i forgot to list those things, i was simply being nice and listing what comes with the drag kits for his 411.
Old 04-23-2002, 01:56 PM
Trial User

Are you going to route the exhaust anywhere after the turbo? If yes, chalk up at least $350 for a downpipe - I hope you didn't expext this to be included in the few hundred for custom pipes

Oil lines - you want to cool that turbo? $100 for the line and fittings, how about oil return - might as well do that right for another $100

If you want a similar result to a drag kit - you are best off buying the kit.
Old 04-23-2002, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The things which do seem missing from your list are the little things like the dump tube, oil fittings, oil lines etc.
Yes i forgot to list those things, i was simply being nice and listing what comes with the drag kits for his 411.
I meant that the original poster didnt list those things.
Old 04-23-2002, 04:37 PM

go with the drag kit I got my gen3 for 2600 from Dave shih off ebay. All the hardware just bolt on and go, definelty go with the hondata though
Old 04-23-2002, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.importparts.com/importpar...UserTemplate/4

Old 04-23-2002, 04:40 PM
New User

you dont go custom to save money, you go custom to get what YOU want. plain and simple. with all the money ive invested in my turbo set up i coulda got a drag3 and 2200 left over.

talk to ben he can get you the kit minus stuff that you dont want or add certain parts for you.

[Modified by 01geeser, 1:43 AM 4/24/2002]
Old 04-23-2002, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Mine was 200 total at Jotech (downpipe that is).

Also, X2BOARD the gauges are not included in the kit, so .... I can't remember how much I spent, but here are things that will save you money:

Using a turbo with an internal wastegate (saves you $200+ by not having to buy a good wastegate).

Buy the piping online and have somebody just weld it. Much cheaper like that.

Use rubber hose for oil feed/return lines, or you can use hardlines from the hardware store, or you can have the braided type made at a compressor shop or someplace for alot cheaper than buying Aeroquip or similar.

Use rubber hose connectors instead of silicone.

Use a Bosch BOV instead of a fancy one.

Depending on the boost you want to run, no IC or factory IC from junkyard cars.

You can definitely do it for less than $2000, it just depends on what you are looking do get. Really nice, or just a good working turbo setup.

Old 04-23-2002, 05:00 PM
New User

dude, youre better off gettin a kit and upgrading it from there. sell all the parts you dont need... there are other guys out there piecing together turbo setups... so the chances of sellin the fmu and whutever else is good.

Quick Reply: Think I might try to piece a kit together instead of Drag III, what do you think of my list?