Notices

Think I might need a new thermostat

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2003, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Think I might need a new thermostat

I just got the car back yesterday from the block being completely rebuilt, and I noticed that the cars water temp stays around 210 degrees the entire time while driving. The coolant system was flushed during the rebuild, the headgasket is a brand new OEM headgasket, I have a PWR radiator that's also brand new. What could be causing this heating issue? I'm guessing its the thermostat because I've never had it changed yet. If it is the thermostat that needs replacing, what thermostat should I buy? I searched honda-tech, and found somebody saying how they bought one from AutoZone that will run 10 degrees cooler. But is there one specific model number for a brand that i can buy that will fit with no problem? I just want to be prepared when going into this P.O.S. store. Those guys working there are morons, so I can't trust what they tell me.
Old 07-13-2003, 03:04 PM

Default Re: Think I might need a new thermostat (E Swift)

I got one from Jackson Racing and it works fine. Also, you may need a lower temp fan switch such as Mugen or Spoon.
Old 07-13-2003, 06:55 PM

Default Re: Think I might need a new thermostat (swrdply400mrelay)

How much is the lower temp switch and where can I find one?
Old 07-13-2003, 07:29 PM
Smarter than you

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Think I might need a new thermostat (E Swift)

did ur thermostat work fine before u rebuilt the block? if so, i would look to something else that you may have changed in the system. go ahead and change the thermostat its not too expensive and see if it works. if not, then at least you have a new one in there since u said it was old. Then you gotta look for something else. good luck
Old 07-13-2003, 07:32 PM

Default Re: Think I might need a new thermostat (DIRep972)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DIRep972 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">did ur thermostat work fine before u rebuilt the block? if so, i would look to something else that you may have changed in the system. go ahead and change the thermostat its not too expensive and see if it works.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah a thermostat is real cheap and easy to install. also i would do this. this may sound ghetto, but it could help. instead of buying a new thermo switch. take it off the thermostat and where its supposed to be plugged in at just run a wire from one side of the connector to the other and tape over it. it will make your fan run at all times. helped mine run cooler.
Old 07-13-2003, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Think I might need a new thermostat (TeStUdO)

how's your coolant overflow ? is it full ?

if so, then you may need a 1.3 bar cap. Lower pressure cap will let out more coolant to the overflow since the pressure exceed the capacity of the cap. Higher pressure cap will have more capability to hold the pressure down and preventing too much coolant to go to the overflow

stan
Old 07-14-2003, 02:07 PM

Default Re: Think I might need a new thermostat (Flamenco-T)

They put a Blitz 1.3kg/cm cap on my PWR radiator when I got it back. Before the rebuild, my old headgasket was almost shot, so it was running hot already. But since everything is new now, except the thermostat, I'm guessing that it is possibly the thermostat.

Also, since i bought a PWR Civic size radiator instead of the regular integra size, I wasn't positive on which wire harness should clip into the one fan. So I attached the fan to the harness coming from the driver's side of the car. The fan does come on, but, i figured I'd point that out to you guys. Maybe it might help. I've heard of motors getting hot because fans were hooked up wrong.

I'll replace the thermostat asap.