Notices

thermal wrap and ceramic coating opinions

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thermal wrap and ceramic coating opinions

Looking for advice as to whether keeping my ceramic coated header and turbo as is or putting titanium wrap and a blanket on would be worth it? Will adding the wrap damage the coating? Is it overkill? Thanks
Old 03-03-2014, 05:48 PM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: thermal wrap and ceramic coating opinions

Its not overkill and it wont damage the coating. The combo work good together. If you have the money then it go for it.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^thanks for the quick reply!
Old 03-03-2014, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

A quality turbo blanket is AMAZING night and day difference and can be taken off quickly when if needed. Wrap is a little more permanent and messy
Old 03-04-2014, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Think there is any difference between the expensive titanium turbo blankets and the cheaper ones made of the regular wrap?
Old 03-04-2014, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

dei titanium is the **** no need for the coating
Old 03-04-2014, 10:13 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by sleepencivic
dei titanium is the **** no need for the coating
See his build thread. coating is already done. There's nothing wrong with both.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Cool, is the more expensive ~$150 titanium dei one worth it compared to the budget $50 no name ones?
Old 03-04-2014, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I run $45 XPW turbo blankets, Ive had mine on for 2 full seasons and it shows no signs of break down or fatigue, and I can put my hand right on it with the car running after pulls.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by ballistic1350
Cool, is the more expensive ~$150 titanium dei one worth it compared to the budget $50 no name ones?
I find that the DEI works a bit better for engine bays that are a bit more cramped.. But using the safety wire one has to be more delicate when tying it together.

The other alternative honestly is the PTP blankets. They are also a LOT better form fitting than the other eBay brands.

1) DEI Titanium

2) PTP "T3/T4" Blankets - http://www.ptpturboblankets.com/prod....php?cat_id=34

Can't lose with either.. But I'd stick to those two.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Looking for advice as to whether keeping my ceramic coated header and turbo as is or putting titanium wrap and a blanket on would be worth it? Will adding the wrap damage the coating? Is it overkill? Thanks
The more insulation the better. As for damaging the existing ceramic coating, if it is "Bright Ceramic" coating, wrapping it will overheat and DESTROY the finish. In reality, if you have bright ceramic coating on any hot side turbo parts, its going to fail anyway. So you may as well wrap it.

If the ceramic coating is of the "High Temp Ceramic Coating" variety, i.e. non-bright and rated in the 1700F -2000F+ range you will be fine wrapping it.....

Last but not least, if you are wrapping a mild steel header, you're going to want to check on it periodically to make sure its not rusting away.....
Old 03-04-2014, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by CCPcoatings

If the ceramic coating is of the "High Temp Ceramic Coating" variety, i.e. non-bright and rated in the 1700F -2000F+ range you will be fine wrapping it.....
That's exactly what he's using. So he's Good to go.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Decided to go with the dei titanium in case anyone was curious
Old 03-05-2014, 02:03 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

the cheap **** sucks, we've tried a lot of methods on our road race car(600rwhp C6 Z06) we even killed the DEI titanium wraps on the car after a month of racing, not sure how but it basically fell apart, both the wrap and the sheet material..

it still held up better than the cheaper brands, most of those either turned to dust, caught on fire, or in the case of the sheet stuff, separate from it's adhesive backing.

now we run nothing but inconel heat shielding all over the car without issue.

for ceramic coating or coating of any engine component it has to be SwainTech hands down

heat wrap has to be DEI without question (even the guys at DEI said our issues were rare... but when you're outrunning 800hp R35s and trying to catch Forgeds 1000hp R35 around a road course it's fairly tough on everything)
Old 03-05-2014, 04:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, adding more insulation layers will reduce the hood temperatures obviously.
If you are still experiencing high temps with coating, you should locate the heat source (downpipe?) and wrap it.

Anyway, this is question is a bit pointless, you should attach an infrared 3d image of your hood, if you want answer from people who are miles away
Old 03-05-2014, 04:44 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I wish I had that 3d infrared imaging stuff... it's so cool

on a turbo car the biggest heat sources are the manifold and the turbine housing... the downpipe is normally a few hundred degrees colder than the manifold temps, as the turbine housing absorbs most of the heat (turbos operate on exhaust temperature and mass flow) so coating the downpipe really won't make a difference over using a quality heat wrap. if your downpipe is mild steel or some other material that can rust/corrode then coating it will help with eliminating corrosion.

so coating and/or wrapping the manifold, turbine housing (coating and blanket) and the downpipe will provide maximum underhood temps.. adding some heat reflective material to the hood will help protect the hood material (fiberglass, carbon fiber, etc) as well as protect it's clearcoat or painted finish.

the gold foil works best for hoods and any body part surface... you can also wrap it around certain engine components to protect them from radiant heat. most put gold foil on the oil pan where the exhaust passes under it to reduce radiant heat that can elevate engine oil temps, some also foil or coat the bottom of the intake manifold to stop radiant heat (that's only if you have high engine bay temps or are going for maximum power and efficiency then coating the intake mani is smart, otherwise it's overkill lol)

I've also seen people use gold foil on the cylinder head and valvecover above the exhaust manifold, again reducing radiant heat the castings absorb.

don't let my experience with DEI on the Z06 scare you, I've used the same material on all of my other cars with no issues, like I said even the guys at DEI were amazed, just as I was when I pulled the wrapping off and took the covered tunnel plate/brace out.. all I can figure is because the exhaust tucks up in the tunnel under that plate and due to the car being mostly flat bottom it has minimal air flow, basically causing radiant heat to build up. I mean we get our Brembo GTs over 1550F front and rear so it really is the harshest environment for heat control solutions.

if you a building a car that will see lots of track duty or extended high temp runs I would advise getting the stainless steel or inconel heat shield sheets... while it is more expensive it does stand up to the rigors track cars see a lot better. so it pays for itself when you don't have to replace wraps and such

I still have a layer of the DEI sheet titanium stuff under the inconel sheet, this is to protect the components the plate is attached to from excessive heat... all of our fluid lines in the tunnel and around the motor are wrapped in some combo of DEI titanium wrap and gold foil... keeping engine oil, trans, and diff fluid temps down is vital for our setup and every cooler is infront of the car, so all of the lines go through the tunnel above the plate. the wrapping lowered fluid temps around 30F for all systems versus the non wrapped lines. so the DEI products and the gold foil definitely work.

if your car has a catalytic converter don't wrap it, they get so hot they'll burn the wrap (ask me how I know lol) your only solutions for that are ceramic coating or inconel shielding. we also use a layer of DEI titanium sheet and gold foil on the body around the cats to prevent 1800F+ radiant temps from entering the cockpit. when we didn't have the cats, tunnel, or chassis coated and wrapped, etc. the floorpan, carpet, and center console got so hot they would burn you and melt stuff put in the console (gum, toothpicks, etc. it was trippy) now with the coatings, wraps, and sheets/foil the tunnel, floorpan, carpet, and center console are barely warm to the touch

just remember sometimes it takes creativity and multiple heat management products to achieve the desired results (just look at our experience) so at first if one or two things don't work exactly how you want don't give up... just remember it will take a combination of different heat management products/methods from multiple companies. so don't give up

if you need advice on what combos will work don't hesitate to post here or pm me, as you can tell I've tried numerous methods lol and am more than happy to help others avoid similar headaches and expenses